How did I cycle 100 miles?

Options
getgemma
getgemma Posts: 40 Member
edited August 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hi,

I thought I'd post about my mammoth challenge to cycle RodeLondon-Surrey 100 which covers the UK Olympic route with some serious climbs. The challenge was on 2nd August and I managed it!

I'm results driven but my motivation was to celebrate my mothers life, fundraiser for the Inst of Cancer Research and give myself a really big challenge. I had to push myself in training and clock up mileage in advance. That was the hardest part!

Mentally shaping my mind to think cycling 21 miles to work on a Monday was going to happen & that I'd get a good session from it.

You can read more about my story https://www.justgiving.com/GemmaPalmerIsDoing/

Please donate if you are able to - all amounts welcome. 1 in 4 of us will experience cancer in our lifetime and that's scary! Gotta beat this!!!

Motivation:
*I've lost over 20kg but knowing that my mum was proud of me loosing that weight - she'd be proud that I'm still going.
*Having a cause to spur you on. Whether that's as massive as mine, meeting this weeks weight target of 0.5lbs for your health.
*Get the right mind set - not every session out can be 110%. Cherish the crappy ones. They help you to learn when you are really low in energy and should leave your session there or whether to push on.
*My motivations always been a new gadget or clothing when I meet a goal ;)
*Seeing the scales go up but my measurements decrease slightly was a pleasure.
*Genuinely being able to eat chocolate or cookies because I'm in a massive neg deficit.
*Get yourself a mantra - I'm still to find a good one but a friend once shouted "beat him" when I completed a 10k and that laughter that followed has been a positive drive since. Plus I can be competitive with myself ;)
*Have a healthy addiction - respect your plan but flex it when family, work, health require you too.
* Love the sweet pain of it all. Sweat, tears, injuries, recovery, personal bests, kudos, exploring your surrounds or letting your mind wonder.
* Double the pay back & multi task - I did some studying whilst I trained.
* Medals decorating a Christmas tree- Remember where you started and the journey to where you are now. A club member shared a pic in 2014 of their Xmas tree with just medals for decorations. Brilliant idea I've taken on.
* Find a tribe -join a club. I've found other people in my local area who are just as enthusiastic, lead the same lifestyle and are an
inspiration at 70 plus. Yup, 70 plus!!!! I'm lucky I have you lovelies as well. Xxx

Good luck MFP. I hope someone out there finds this useful. (From a MFP'er who started a life style change when the odds were against them).
Love to hear what works for you like if you found this useful. If you didn't please don't break my little heart of devalue my suggestions by slating my comments. Keep it clean ;)

wpbhc7thwor9.jpg

Below are loads of different picks off me whilst training, on holi-bobs looking a little "let's say jolly" ;)

r4vkkm3e4d1x.jpg

[i/mfp-en.vanillaforums.com/editor/9m/9epyi68gezdr.jpg[/img]
0xhvpkekr48n.jpg
vcvon6ftk9v9.jpg
a45uczeh49o1.jpg
cw3novjj5sb7.jpg[qfw6865uuoqw.jpg
5mdpv7ijhh7n.jpg
fdf91x7x45wz.jpg
p68tct4gn2t5.jpg
3xswlvmyfrml.jpg
veq6529dx0s2.jpg
8kue030hva9q.jpg