From Fluffy mom at 35 to IFBB Physique Pro at 38. --w/ PICS :)

Options

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Well done! And congrats on your IFBB Pro Card; I do know what that is and that it takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice to earn it. Only one comment on one of your three things; I believe under eating is probably worse then over eating because you increase the fact you may lose muscle along w/the weight. I totally agree that is is a "lifestyle" not a "diet" (w/an end date). Saw the following statement in a fitness mag: "It's a process, not a project." B)
  • ehuschka
    ehuschka Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Dang girl! You look fantastic!
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Remarkable. Congratulations on your achievements. And I love love love this: 'Success comes from consistency, intensity, and time...not perfection'.
  • acgeathers
    acgeathers Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You look great! Thank you for sharing! Truly an inspiration!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Look totally awesome!!!! And to get into MD.....................that's tough to do so congrats!!! Any sponsors yet?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Oh and did you do Master's or Open? Qualifiers are so hard to compete in.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    wow, and the love in your fella's eyes for you is as inspiring to, amazing.
    Dude looks like a power lifter for sure!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • _bellator_
    _bellator_ Posts: 50 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Thanks!! I competed in Open physique and Master's Over 35 at the NPC Universe. I don't have any sponsors yet, I'm terrible at marketing myself, and kind of prefer to make my own way anyway. I don't want anyone telling me what to do (authority problems much?) ;p

Oh and yeah my hubs is crazy strong. He used to compete in bodybuilding and Strongman comps. He's 52, and I'm trying to convince him to do a BB show, but he's not a fan of the diet, but who is?!? Gotta suck it up buttercup!! Lol!

• _bellator_
    Options
    Do you have a fitness instagram? I'd love to watch your journey especially if you're going to be doing ifbb shows! Thanks for the motivation. I use to lift and play with the idea of competing then life took a turn for the worst. I lost all my muscle mass and gained plenty of fat. After mentally pushing myself to fix my life I got back on track in late June. My muscles are coming back and my fat is coming off but I have to remember it takes time! Your post is so encouraging!

Sorry, I'm not currently on Instagram, I'm trying to lessen the amount of time I spend online, but I still do Facebook grudgingly. ;)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    that's awesome we are the same age how old was your youngest when you started getting serious?

Do you work full time in another job outside of the gym (or did), and how did you schedule time between being a mommy to toddlers and other obligations?
  • renbys
    renbys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You look unbelievable!!! Thanks for posting these.

I'm 34 and post-baby as well, and this blew away ALL of my complaints and excuses ... and inspired me so much today. You rock!

One question . . . were you an athlete prior to taking the 3-year break? This kind of transformation must take incredible discipline!
  • _bellator_
    Options
    that's awesome we are the same age how old was your youngest when you started getting serious?

Do you work full time in another job outside of the gym (or did), and how did you schedule time between being a mommy to toddlers and other obligations?

Good question. My youngest was 3 when I started back getting seriously into this. I did some workouts at the gym when they had childcare, and also did some when he was napping. It got a lot easier when he started school. I worked as a personal trainer BEFORE I had kids...so it's not like I didn't know what to do. But sometimes there's a huge gap between "knowing" and "doing."

Once I got back in shape and my kids were both in school, I started training again. Right now I am blessed to be able to work on a limited basis, because I won't take evening clients, since that's the only time I really have with my kids.

I freely acknowledge that this lifestyle is easier when you work in a gym like I do. I train several ladies who compete, and they all have full-time jobs like nursing or police work, so it's harder for them. Somehow they make it work though. :)
  • _bellator_
    Options
    renbys wrote: »
    You look unbelievable!!! Thanks for posting these.

I'm 34 and post-baby as well, and this blew away ALL of my complaints and excuses ... and inspired me so much today. You rock!

One question . . . were you an athlete prior to taking the 3-year break? This kind of transformation must take incredible discipline!

I was not an athlete, but I was in decent shape. I was thin, but mostly focused on cardio, and my diet was pretty poor, so I was a lot softer than I am now.

Weight training with a cleaner diet has let me dramatically reduce the time I spend on the gym, and with much better results. :) I only spend 6 hours in the gym per week now, and it's a relief to not be constantly trying to out-run a bad diet. I tried that for many years...Lot of "running" (I.e. Cardio) with little visible results. My goals are clearer now, and my training is designed around my goals. Smarter, not harder, ya know? ;)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Fantastic transformation, and congrats on the show!!! Love that last photo!
    _bellator_ wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Thanks!! I competed in Open physique and Master's Over 35 at the NPC Universe. I don't have any sponsors yet, I'm terrible at marketing myself, and kind of prefer to make my own way anyway. I don't want anyone telling me what to do (authority problems much?) ;p

Oh and yeah my hubs is crazy strong. He used to compete in bodybuilding and Strongman comps. He's 52, and I'm trying to convince him to do a BB show, but he's not a fan of the diet, but who is?!? Gotta suck it up buttercup!! Lol!

Definitely made me lol!
  • lpatriquin
    lpatriquin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing transformation. You give this "fluffy mom" some hope! I have been following a lifting routine now since January and am starting to see results. It's really difficult when trying to lose weight (fat) and build muscle at the same time. But my body is starting to take better shape and I would do anything to have a physique even remotely like yours... gorgeous! This gives me the motivation I need to stay the course.
    Thank you for sharing your story.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Good question. My youngest was 3 when I started back getting seriously into this. I did some workouts at the gym when they had childcare, and also did some when he was napping. It got a lot easier when he started school. I worked as a personal trainer BEFORE I had kids...so it's not like I didn't know what to do. But sometimes there's a huge gap between "knowing" and "doing."

Once I got back in shape and my kids were both in school, I started training again. Right now I am blessed to be able to work on a limited basis, because I won't take evening clients, since that's the only time I really have with my kids.

I freely acknowledge that this lifestyle is easier when you work in a gym like I do. I train several ladies who compete, and they all have full-time jobs like nursing or police work, so it's harder for them. Somehow they make it work though. :)

Thank you for the answer! If you want something bad enough you'll find try to find the balance of time in your life.

You are beautiful and putting out positivity in the world.

• nickisalpha123
    nickisalpha123 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm Darla. ;) Some of you may remember me from MFP days gone by...I started logging with MFP in 2012, (after having 2 babies back to back and being out of the gym for over 3 years) ...and have used this app almost every day since.

Last year, I qualified to compete nationally in Women's Physique...so I took a huge leap out of my comfort zone, and flew from Texas to New Jersey to compete in this year's NPC Universe, where I earned my IFBB Pro Card. (Some of you may have no idea what that means, but some of you will. :)

It took me about 4 years to transform my body. I haven't missed a single workout since I started back lifting...if I miss a workout, I make it up the next day, period. I'm 38 years young now, and I have never felt better, not even as a teenager...never. Weight training and competing is my way of life now, and I can't imagine any other way.

This journey has taught me many things over these years, but the things that I'm really grateful for are:

1. This isn't a diet, it's your LIFE. You are only accountable to yourself.
    2. Less is not always better. Under-eating is just as destructive as over-eating.
    3. Success comes from consistency, intensity, and time...not perfection.

But the MOST enduring things I learned are these 2 quotes, and I learned them well...

~~"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
    --Earl Nightingale

and

~~"Your biggest challenge isn't someone else; it's the ache in your lungs, the burning in your legs, & the voice inside you that yells, "I can't!" But you don't listen, you push harder. You hear the voice whisper "I Can"...and you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are." --unknown

I'll let my pictures tell the rest of my story.

This was where I started, in Jan 2012.

k91ele25ebav.jpg

And this is my total transformation, which took almost 4 years...

ztlhj5xwc7xd.jpg

Some contest shots...

hpra8578642m.jpg

gykqt4j7pep1.jpg

c93wjfqd8zeh.jpg

ibcyy77o0xe0.jpg

0jilqwu642fp.jpg

qnulo81xpbtt.jpg

vv129ukymebv.jpg

nclvt2rr76w7.jpg

6u6o3znloo5j.jpg

And a couple of me and my guy, just for fun...

ag2ew3onylow.jpg

iubilt1p2dn4.jpg

This post almost made me tear up, very inspirational. I am prepping for NPC while getting ready for medical school so I definite know the struggle. Respect
  • ninachang3
    ninachang3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just wow! Such inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!