22 day vegan challenge

HaoKaren
HaoKaren Posts: 19 Member
Has anyone every tried this home delivery system? It's quite expensive, but I hope the upside of this is if I don't need to plan my own meals, there's less chance for me to mess up? Since Beyoncé did it, it must work? haha. all kiddings aside, I want to hear your opinion on this specific program and also vegan experience. I've always wanted to try vegan but don't have the 'guys' to do it since I love meat too much! My original plan was getting the delivery and after 22 days slowly introducing meat back since I don't see myself being a vegan forever. please share your opinion! Thank you!

Replies

• adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    I went vegan cold-turkey a few years ago when I learned a lot of bad things about the meat and dairy industry and about how animals are mistreated (sometimes really horribly). I simply chose not to support those industries anymore. However, I would carefully analyze your reasons for doing this. If it's purely for weight loss, there are probably better ways to do it as vegan food can still have lots of calories in it. You could just be wasting your money.

Vegan meals are actually not as complex as they sound. Perhaps you could choose one meal a day to make vegan, there are TONS of really great blogs with recipes. I'd recommend a vegan quinoa chili for lunch/dinner- you get about 4-6 meals out of it, which would cost you an arm and a leg with the above program. The recipe is very simple.

I think you're brave for wanting to give it a try, but it would be soooooo much cheaper if you just make your own vegan meal once a day (or even 3 times a day if you want). Ultimately, after being a vegan for about 2 years I switched to being a vegetarian, and recently I have also incorporated fish in order to increase my protein and Omega-3 intake. It's all about finding a good balance for you.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I've never tried that one, but I do get some pre-made vegan food delivery for nights I don't feel like cooking. It's made in a kitchen (not a factory) and has no additives or preservatives, just the same foods I make meals out of (when I'm not being lazy, lol). It's not cheap compared to groceries, but it's much cheaper than take out. Plus, their cooking tastes better than mine. It's called Veestro and I believe they deliver all over the US.

I think they do meal plans, where they will send you three meals a day, but I feel like breakfasts and lunches are so easy it's not really worth the money to have someone else make it.
  • HaoKaren
    Thank you so much for your advice!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited August 2015
    Sooo . . . why are you interested in doing it?

Not that I would discourage someone from actually going vegan, but if you're just going to introduce animals back into your diet, what's your reason for doing a "22 day challenge"?

Maybe you could focus more on being "plant-based"? As a previous poster mentioned, just try incorporating more vegan or plant-based meals into your diet? "Meatless Mondays" is another approach. There are a lot of ways to incorporate plant-based meals into your diet without going vegetarian or vegan. And it makes it a lot less daunting for those who are interested, but feel it's too intimidating to try. Animals don't have to be the center of, or even a part of, every single meal. Trying out new dishes to incorporate as a plant-based approach may work better for you.
  • HaoKaren
    truth is I'm kinda at wits end about this diet thing, so I'm up to try anything. but thank you for the advice! No meat Monday sounds great. I definitely will start with that!!