HELP HELP

Options
Ok...I think I have a hold onto a diet and its taken a while I'm still having the odd treat but I'm sticking to under 1500 calories a day and losing weight even if most of this is water weight!!.. now I've joined the gym I know I have to change my diet again but I don't want the weight loss to slow down what kind of diet should I follow to keep the weight loss going and still kind of tone up? Should I up my fats or protein and what kind of routines are best at the gym? Any advice would be helpfull

Thanks! And goodluck to you everyone on there journey :)

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    You probably don't have to change your diet just because you joined a gym. Provide some stats. Height, weight-maybe give an idea of your diet-particularly protein content. This will aid in getting more helpful answers
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I would ask the trainers at the gym to create you a training programme. I joined the gym last week myself and my trainer went through my goals, what my aim is and gave me a training programme which we are revisiting every 4 weeks to tweak and to keep current. I am at the moment on 3 times a week weights and 1 time a week cardio, I tend to walk a fair bit anyways, and I want to tone up and build some muscle as well as loose weight.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This is a good starting point. It was under the "most helpful posts" thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating under 1500 calories when 1500 is the recommended minimum?

For routines, look into a progressive lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting). Aim for .8-1 gram of protein per pound of LBM and, I think, .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight. But you'll still need to fuel your body, so more calories (accurately logged) will help too.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    You are a guy. You should not be eating under 1500.

The weight loss is going to slow down once you've lost the initial water weight. That's just how it goes. Trying to make it come off faster can be unhealthy.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Stats?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Just keep doing what you've been doing (losing weight) and toning up will take care of itself automatically (I promise).

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Stats?

Of all the posts to be flagged...
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Stats?

FIVE times for spam? Really?! SMH
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Stats?

FIVE times for spam? Really?! SMH

whaaaaaat :rage:

Maybe the word "stats" means something different to some people? ?

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Stats?

FLAG ME! FLAG ME!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Stats mean your height, weight, age, activity level without exercise and your goal weight loss

I see you're a 28 year old male with 61 lbs to lose ...the rest would help

But calorie wise you should be eating 1500 as a bare minimum, probably quite a bit more

Set your protein and fats as minimums to reach
    protein at 0.64-0.82g per lb of bodyweight
    Fats at 0.35g per lb of bodyweight

Gym wise I would suggest
    2 x 20-30 min cardio sessions a week ...HIIT if you like
    A structured progressive free weights programme 3 times a week...very much recommend http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    PS when you start a new exercise programme or change up exercise you should fully expect water weight changes which will mask any weight loss for a few weeks, possibly even look like an increase

Ignore the scale

Keep going

It will whoosh away eventually so long as your logging is accurate
    Also no calories for weight lifting
    And half the calories for cardio before entering them ..calories estimated In MFP database and gym machines overestimate
  • email18
    email18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why the post was flagged or reported it was a simple enough question :neutral:

Thanks everyone else all taken on board :smiley: