Using a Wearable (ie: Fitbit) to help with your goals, etc...

Options
2»

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Ps-my tip:

Many apps/devices work well together. Obviously you know Fitbit works with MFP. You can connect Fitbit to other apps as well. I use an app (iPhone or Android) called Pact. Each week I set commitments (for food logging, workouts, eating fruits & veggies). If I don't fulfill my Pacts, I pay. When I do, I share in the $ paid by others. I have never paid, by the way. You can also connect to your Walgreen's rewards account and earn points for your steps which converts to $ off at Walgreens.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Fitbit Charge HR and I am really happy with how much more aware it makes me of my activity level, as well as how it tracks my sleep, and heart rate. The calorie burn seems to be pretty accurate, and that's what I've been told by friends who've had theirs longer, as well.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I've always been intrinsically motivated to do intense workouts, but the Fitbit keeps me honest about how much general activity I am doing throughout the day.

The competitive aspect of it is a HUGE motivator for me. My dad is one of my Fitbit friends and he is just about always over 100,000 steps/7 days, so I have to keep up with that.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    mickmgd wrote: »
    I am office bound at a desk all day so limited in movement. I record exercise I do in the evenings on MFP and really wonder if there is any value in a wearable as I can do little to affect lack of movement throughout the day. Any thoughts on the value of buying one?

Alternatively maybe I should shoplift one and see what calories I burn running away from the security guard! That is a joke obviously, running is well outside of my capabilities at present.

I have a desk job, but Fitbit showed me I'm actually lightly active rather than sedentary.

Rather than turning to a life of crime, ask your friends & family if anyone has a Fitbit they're not using. Or buy one, keep it just long enough to figure out your TDEE, then return it. Or check Craigslist.