Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help with metabolism

I've been exercising since May. It's the first time I've ever stayed committed to the gym for more than 2 weeks. I was 186 in may and now I'm 168. I'm a 5'7 male, I should be around 163 or lower. Lately my metabolism has slowed down which is making me want to quit exercising. I had this problem before at 172 for three weeks, the scale wouldn't move. I was told to increase my calories for 3 days and I guess it worked. But I feel that eating more doesn't feel right, I'm overweight because I've done nothing but eat more. I wanted to get to 160 by Saturday but now I'm just lost. I'm not an expert on fitness and having no knowledge about being healthy and losing weight is very difficult for me. Does anyone have any advice for me? It would be very helpful

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    So unless you have a thyroid issue, new medications in which you have already discussed with a medical professional, or are ggeriatri; changes in metabolism don't happen like you describe. Weight loss is not linear. It is common to see drastic loss and then have it slow once you get closer to that lower weight. Usually the last 5-10lbs are the hardest. The weight didn't get there overnight. It's going to take a lot of hard work to reach that goal, just keep working at it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I've been exercising since May. It's the first time I've ever stayed committed to the gym for more than 2 weeks. I was 186 in may and now I'm 168. I'm a 5'7 male, I should be around 163 or lower. Lately my metabolism has slowed down which is making me want to quit exercising. I had this problem before at 172 for three weeks, the scale wouldn't move. I was told to increase my calories for 3 days and I guess it worked. But I feel that eating more doesn't feel right, I'm overweight because I've done nothing but eat more. I wanted to get to 160 by Saturday but now I'm just lost. I'm not an expert on fitness and having no knowledge about being healthy and losing weight is very difficult for me. Does anyone have any advice for me? It would be very helpful

seriously increasing calories...what idiot gave you that advice for weight loss?

That's not how it works

That's not now any of this works

Judge your average weight loss over rolling 6-8 week cycles not week by week ...stalls for 2-3 weeks then whooshes are normal

Your metabolism is just fine

And chill out

Weigh your food and log it accurately to a weekly defecit
    Move more in general
    Follow a heavy progressive lifting programme
  • Sued0nim
    Perhaps log into a trend line app or site

I like trendweight.com...if you don't have a fitbit, set up a free fitbit account on fitbit.com...synch it to MFP through the MFP apps then every time you log a weight it will synch over

What it does it take your actual weights and smooth them out over time so you can see the overall trend

Because weight loss isn't linear...we also don't have a scale weight but a scale weight range
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg

Also, have you recalculated your MFP goals lately? If you just enter weight statuses it doesn't adjust your calories on some platforms.
  • Sued0nim
    This is a historical one...see the wiggly black line ..that's actual weight readings and that's how it works with scale weight loss...stays statics goes up then drops

0f0386tavyog.jpg

Even in maintenance doing everything right ..scale weight changes because of fluctuations in water weight

8fo6liwdz52s.jpg
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Weight loss isnt an exact science an most things are estimates. This idea that you should be 163 is flawed.
    I like the idea that your metabolism has slowed down so you will quit exercising, when exercise is the one thing that can help increase metabolism temporarily.
    Bonkers about increasing calories.

What happens on Saturday, why such a rush? basic calculation is that to get to 160 by Saturday will require you to create a deficit of just under 4700 calories per day through eating less and exercise. Its not going to happen.
    healthy weight loss is 1-2lb a week and for you .5-1lb would be good going.

keep eating at a deficit and doing your consistent exercise, then be patient. Losing weight at this stage is slow.