Getting closer to goal

Hi all! Since April 6th, I have gone from 153 to 129. I'm 5'0" so I'd like to be closer to 115-120ish. My weight loss has certainly begun to slow and I know I must accept that I'm closer to goal and will need to aim for about 1/2 lb per week, but this is where I always allow myself to feel defeated. I'm so used to seeing the scale go down pretty quickly and, when that stops, mentally I convince myself I'm doing something wrong.

How did you guys do with accepting a slower rate of weight loss as you approached goal? Was it easy for you? Did you feel bothered by it? Help me keep going, please!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    It's hard when it starts to slow down, but know that at this point, it's vanity pounds. Focus more on body composition than weight. Also, make sure you've readjusted your goals, so you have the proper calorie intake.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Look at the amazing job you've done thus far!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    The accept it the same way I accept gravity. It is what it is. There's no point in being bothered, upset, or defeated by it. Do you feel defeated that you can't fly?
  • MimiMadrone43
    MimiMadrone43 Posts: 11 Member
    I really struggle with getting hung up on the numbers. I love seeing those numbers go down. It's like proof that I'm doing things right and it's VERY encouraging and motivates me! Now that I'm closer to my personal goal it's taking a month to lose what I was losing before in a week. If I let it, it will get me down. I have to give myself a little mental pep talk, looking back at how far I've come since April when I was sitting on my bedroom floor crying, surrounded by clothes that didn't fit, completely disgusted by what I'd done to myself. That was my turning point. At that time I was 163 pounds (3 years ago I was up to 183, got down to 137 and let myself get back to 163). I'm currently 138 pounds/5'3. I still weigh myself weekly but I'm working hard to judge my success by how my clothes are fitting, my energy level, my self confidence and attitude, even my skin has improved. Not gonna lie, it sucks when you've been active all week, eating healthy, and turning down wine, birthday cake and pizza and get zero change on the scale for all that hard work and sacrifice! That's when I pull out those capri pants that wouldn't even go on 4 months ago and rejoice that they are actually too loose now! I smile and laugh more, I'm more outgoing because I'm not trying to fade unnoticed into the background, my skin looks fresher, my hair is growing faster and my nails are stronger. Even when the numbers haven't changed I know that these are all successes and reasons to celebrate and keep going. This is a transformation on the inside as well as the outside.
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    I really struggle with getting hung up on the numbers. I love seeing those numbers go down. It's like proof that I'm doing things right and it's VERY encouraging and motivates me! Now that I'm closer to my personal goal it's taking a month to lose what I was losing before in a week. If I let it, it will get me down. I have to give myself a little mental pep talk, looking back at how far I've come since April when I was sitting on my bedroom floor crying, surrounded by clothes that didn't fit, completely disgusted by what I'd done to myself. That was my turning point. At that time I was 163 pounds (3 years ago I was up to 183, got down to 137 and let myself get back to 163). I'm currently 138 pounds/5'3. I still weigh myself weekly but I'm working hard to judge my success by how my clothes are fitting, my energy level, my self confidence and attitude, even my skin has improved. Not gonna lie, it sucks when you've been active all week, eating healthy, and turning down wine, birthday cake and pizza and get zero change on the scale for all that hard work and sacrifice! That's when I pull out those capri pants that wouldn't even go on 4 months ago and rejoice that they are actually too loose now! I smile and laugh more, I'm more outgoing because I'm not trying to fade unnoticed into the background, my skin looks fresher, my hair is growing faster and my nails are stronger. Even when the numbers haven't changed I know that these are all successes and reasons to celebrate and keep going. This is a transformation on the inside as well as the outside.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me! I can relate to this tremendously and you are so right.. I can't let the number on the scale get me down because there is SO much more to it than that. I know this, I just need to keep reminding myself of it each and every day. It helps to hear someone else's similar experience and know I'm not alone. Thank you <3
  • ashleypetrie4
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Look at the amazing job you've done thus far!

Thank you! I know I've come a long way and that I can do this, I just need to keep reminding myself of that and reassure myself that it is normal for weight loss to slow and I'm not doing anything wrong.
  • ashleypetrie4
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    It's hard when it starts to slow down, but know that at this point, it's vanity pounds. Focus more on body composition than weight. Also, make sure you've readjusted your goals, so you have the proper calorie intake.

I know, I recently started going to the gym with my sister to get started on changing my body composition. I definitely need to learn more about the proper way to go about doing that, but it feels good getting into the gym every day again.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Hi all! Since April 6th, I have gone from 153 to 129. I'm 5'0" so I'd like to be closer to 115-120ish. My weight loss has certainly begun to slow and I know I must accept that I'm closer to goal and will need to aim for about 1/2 lb per week, but this is where I always allow myself to feel defeated. I'm so used to seeing the scale go down pretty quickly and, when that stops, mentally I convince myself I'm doing something wrong.

How did you guys do with accepting a slower rate of weight loss as you approached goal? Was it easy for you? Did you feel bothered by it? Help me keep going, please!

You are part of my tribe!! I am 4'11 and went from 155 to 124!! But it took me much longer :) I've ONLY been aiming for a .5 lb loss the entire time, so I'm used to this. I only weigh myself once a week. So I know that I should see the scale move a whole pound every other Saturday (and it does). This past Saturday I weighed myself knowing I SHOULDN'T yet expect to see 123, and was happy that it still said 124 (I don't have a digital scale). I think you may need to shift your goals/expectations. If it now takes 2 weeks to lose a pound, then every other week remind yourself that your goal is to stay at the same number as last week, and next week your goal is to go down another pound. Mentally, this works for me.

Also, if you have old clothes you stopped wearing (when you gained weight), try them on. Every few weeks I try on an older pair of pants and I am thrilled when they fit. Sadly, I'm going to run out of that option soon since I evidently tossed out/donated anything smaller than the smallest pants I recently tried on!
  • ElleMarieRose
    ElleMarieRose Posts: 37 Member
    Mannn, I feel you! It's normal to slow down just like it's normal to feel frustrated. Keep at it, you seem to be doing great.
  • jaga13
    Wanted to add that my goal is lose about another 10 pounds (114). It is a little frustrating to know that it will take at least 20 weeks to get there...probably even more, because life happens. But I am confident that around New Year's time I should look and feel a lot better, even if I'm still a couple lbs shy from goal.
  • ashleypetrie4
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Wanted to add that my goal is lose about another 10 pounds (114). It is a little frustrating to know that it will take at least 20 weeks to get there...probably even more, because life happens. But I am confident that around New Year's time I should look and feel a lot better, even if I'm still a couple lbs shy from goal.

I never really thought about it that way, but looking at it long term is actually super encouraging! In 14 months, I have a wedding that I'm going to be a bridesmaid in and I want to be looking and feeling my best. Even if I only lose 1 lb a month, I could still be about 115 lbs. Thank you for helping me see this :) and it's good to know some other "shorties" on here haha mind if I add you?
  • ashleypetrie4
    Mannn, I feel you! It's normal to slow down just like it's normal to feel frustrated. Keep at it, you seem to be doing great.

Thank you!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 wrote: »

I never really thought about it that way, but looking at it long term is actually super encouraging! In 14 months, I have a wedding that I'm going to be a bridesmaid in and I want to be looking and feeling my best. Even if I only lose 1 lb a month, I could still be about 115 lbs. Thank you for helping me see this :) and it's good to know some other "shorties" on here haha mind if I add you?

You're welcome! We have to stick together hahaha.
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Adding you both! I'm a shorty trying to get where you guys are. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    If you read all the threads here on MFP you will soon learn that this is normal and u r not doing anything wrong. 20 weeks is less than 1/2 year. You have a lifetime to keep it off, so that's not too long. Many people here have journeys that thaw 2-3 years, do try to keep ur situation in perspective.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    It's too early in the morning for my brain to function. I read this as "Getting closer to gaol" and I was like, that's really not a good idea.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    First off, massive kudos!!! I'm 5'0" also, and I started out at 140 and I'm down to 118. I kinda wanna lose another 3 pounds or so, but I'm maintaining for now and seeing how that goes.

Anyhow!

What's helped me is being tight with my logging whenever possible. Since I had a 0.5lb/week goal, I would measure out just a little less than my servings to help account for overestimates elsewhere.

That is, if a serving was listed as 40g, I would measure out 38g or so but still log as 40. I would also shoot for leaving 50-100 calories left over at the end of the day when possible. Since I'm short, that would leave my net for the day a little bit under 1200, but not by much. I earn extra calories through exercise so my overall calories would be at least 1400. So far, so good!

Also, keep in mind that it's going to take longer to see the scale go down. My weight can fluctuate 2-3 pounds depending on TOM, how much exercise I'm doing and how much sodium I'm taking in, so when I'm eating at a deficit it often takes a few weeks to see a new low. Stick with it and you'll get there!

~Lyssa