Cravings!!!

Options
Having serious cravings for sweets. I have been at maintenance for 10 weeks but have started being unsatisfied with what I am eating.

Fighting this daily. Any suggestions?

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Why are you fighting it? I eat at maintenance, and I eat something sweet (usually chocolate) every day. It hasn't hindered my goals one bit. Just make sure it fits your calorie goals.
  • SennaArshad
    SennaArshad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you find your cravings peak at certain times of the day?
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Yes. Mornings are fine but they get stronger as the day goes on.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Yes. Mornings are fine but they get stronger as the day goes on.

The more you say no to the cravings the easier it is.
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    Why are you fighting it? I eat at maintenance, and I eat something sweet (usually chocolate) every day. It hasn't hindered my goals one bit. Just make sure it fits your calorie goals.

I have had small amounts of brownie and chocolate chip cookie the past couple of days (all within my calorie allowance). But it is just not satisfying me. I definitely don't want to lose control of my eating.

• theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Have a kg of butternut squash 340 calories or kg of honeydew melon 300 calories and
    Make desserts replacing with healthier lower calorie altenatives white for coconut flour oils with avocadoes and sugars with banana or other fruit you be surprised how many healthy filling low calorie desserts you can make i eat full 12 muffins twice weekly using only those ingredients plus gelatine weekly lol only at 800 calories though fitting it into my 1800
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    theman900 wrote: »
    Have a kg of butternut squash 340 calories or kg of honeydew melon 300 calories and
    Make desserts replacing with healthier lower calorie altenatives white for coconut flour oils with avocadoes and sugars with banana or other fruit you be surprised how many healthy filling low calorie desserts you can make i eat full 12 muffins twice weekly using only those ingredients plus gelatine weekly lol only at 800 calories though fitting it into my 1800

Thanks will have to try some alternative ingredients.
  • tanyaltrl
    tanyaltrl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Eat more fruit! You probably do need the sugar. Fruit calories are not the same as other calories... If they were then where are the fat fruitarians? Where are the fat asians who eat primarily fruit, and white rice? Not saying to completely change your diet, but really look into 80/10/10, Raw Till 4 to gain a broader perspective. Its seriously the diet industry, meat/dairy industry, and big pharma that wants you steering clear of sugar and buying their products for $$$ I've stopped counting calories and eat unlimited fruit, and happier than ever. Many people lose 20-40+ if they want to. And again not that you have to do this diet, but certainly eat more fruit!!!
  • anneeett
    anneeett Posts: 75 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Maybe allowing yourself a cheat day once in a while might help take some of the pressure off? You dont have to go crazy with it, perhaps 1 every 2 weeks a day where you'll allow yourself those sweets youve been craving, even if it doesnt exactly fit your macro's or calorie goals.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    hiya vicky. i hope you don't mind that i think of you as 'my vicky'.... i can't remember which thread i see you on.... probably JFT? anyway, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say.... when i have a systemic yeast overgrowth (candida), I have overpowering cravings for all things sweet. and it always ends poorly. the more sweets i eat, the more i want... etc. SO,...... when this happens to me, the only way i can beat them down is to employ "anti-candida" strategies. if you think this might be the case for you, i'd be happy to share some things i've learned about candida along the way.....
    hope that helps, Myra
  • 68myra
    Options
    ahhh, i should have thought about this first: my ALLTIME favorite sweetener is stevia. there are all sorts of brands, all sorts of forms. none of them have calories or affect your blood sugar. it's an herb from GOD, i tell ya.
  • vicky1947mfp
    edited August 2015
    Options
    68myra wrote: »
    hiya vicky. i hope you don't mind that i think of you as 'my vicky'.... i can't remember which thread i see you on.... probably JFT? anyway, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say.... when i have a systemic yeast overgrowth (candida), I have overpowering cravings for all things sweet. and it always ends poorly. the more sweets i eat, the more i want... etc. SO,...... when this happens to me, the only way i can beat them down is to employ "anti-candida" strategies. if you think this might be the case for you, i'd be happy to share some things i've learned about candida along the way.....
    hope that helps, Myra

Never heard of this in my 68 years. What is candida and anti-candida strategies? Let me know. Thanks.

And, yes, I am on JFT.
  • 68myra
    Options
    tanyaltrl wrote: »
    Eat more fruit! You probably do need the sugar. Fruit calories are not the same as other calories... If they were then where are the fat fruitarians? Where are the fat asians who eat primarily fruit, and white rice? Not saying to completely change your diet, but really look into 80/10/10, Raw Till 4 to gain a broader perspective. Its seriously the diet industry, meat/dairy industry, and big pharma that wants you steering clear of sugar and buying their products for $$$ I've stopped counting calories and eat unlimited fruit, and happier than ever. Many people lose 20-40+ if they want to. And again not that you have to do this diet, but certainly eat more fruit!!!

WOW, i'm glad that works for you! my body loves whole fruits, but it also tells me when i overdo it, hehe. I do best sticking to lower sugar fruits like berries and green apples.
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    anneeett wrote: »
    Maybe allowing yourself a cheat day once in a while might help take some of the pressure off? You dont have to go crazy with it, perhaps 1 every 2 weeks a day where you'll allow yourself those sweets youve been craving, even if it doesnt exactly fit your macro's or calorie goals.

I do have cheat days on vacation (of which I have had quite a few this year). Did not notice cravings until this past week. ????
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    The two main strategies you'll see on MFP are moderation and avoidance. Some people do well with one, some prefer the other. Others find that avoiding for a period and then reintroducing in moderation is the best for them.

In my personal experience, one treat a week becomes one a day becomes 2 a day and it never really feels like enough. Avoidance works for me. It's hard at first, but I find the cravings go away within a week or so and then I feel like I can take it or leave it. I may indulge on special occasions, but when I start to fit it into my daily intake, it just becomes stressful because I always want more than I can have.

I'm not low carb by any stretch (50-60% carbs most days), I just avoid sweets like cookies and cake in favour of fruit and nuts (watch the nut portions, though; they're pretty high in calories). I don't really crave sweets at all. I might eat a dessert now and then if it looks really flavourful and smells great, but the "anything sweet" urges are gone.

Good luck to you with whatever road you choose :smiley:
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    anneeett wrote: »

I do have cheat days on vacation (of which I have had quite a few this year). Did not notice cravings until this past week. ????

Can you think of anything in your diet or exercise routine that may have changed this week?
  • 68myra
    Options
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8376/10-signs-you-have-candida-overgrowth-what-to-do-about-it.html

i sent you a MFP "mail" message pertaining to the above "link", vicky. just explore the idea with an open mind, and certainly don't let it overwhelm you. that's no good. :)

on another note, i think i've sweetened just about anything needing a touch of sweet with stevia! (no side effects)
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    tanyaltrl wrote: »

Will check out the 80/10/10
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Having serious cravings for sweets. I have been at maintenance for 10 weeks but have started being unsatisfied with what I am eating.

Fighting this daily. Any suggestions?

Are you eating anything different food wise than when when you were losing weight?

• vicky1947mfp
    Options
    @GaleHawkins - not eating anything different. Just a few more calories.