Birth Control and Weight Gain

Options
I just started birth control this week (NuvaRing) and I'm really nervous about weight gain. I'm using the ring because I can't take anything orally due to other medications. I need it to help balance my hormones more so than not get pregnant. Therefore, I was told by my doctor that an IUD won't help me in my goals.

I'm not experiencing any side effects as of right now (its only been a week lol) and I know to give it at least three months to see how it works out. I'm looking for any experiences that could help keep my head in the game when things seem to be going wrong on the scale. So far I've seen an increase of 3 lbs, but I know very well that could be my weight fluctuating or any other host of factors.

Some background on me - I've lost 160 lbs in three years. I work out 5-6 times a week (cardio and weight training). I eat a very clean diet.

Thanks guys. Also feel free to add me.

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have been on hormonal birth control for 17 years and have not had any weight gain related to the pill (but I have gained weight due to not watching what I eat). If you have side effects of any type then talk to your doctor about alternative, there is a IUD with hormones.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I use the ring, and I have gained weight but I think that's more not watching what I ate
    I'm still using it and still losing weight because I started watching my calories in/out
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I have been on hormonal birth control for 17 years and have not had any weight gain related to the pill (but I have gained weight due to not watching what I eat). If you have side effects of any type then talk to your doctor about alternative, there is a IUD with hormones.

This. I was on all kinds of birth control for years (The Pill, IUD, Depo) and never gained weight from them.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I'm on the mini pill and have lost 89 lbs so far. When I first started taking it I was losing weight as well (no money=no food and walking a lot so lost weight... gained it back when I had more money lol). For some people, I'm sure it might increase appetite, but you can still lose weight if you eat less than you burn. :)
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You just need to watch what you eat as birth control can increase your appetite. I've been on the pill for a couple of years now with no weight gain.