Saw Something On The News This Morning About Exercise Being More Important Than Diet

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The study actually said that exercise may be more important to weight loss than was previously thought in that the key to maintaining a weight loss is to become more active.

I would argue that exercise becomes increasingly important as one shift from loss to maintenance.

When people transition from the thought of exercise to performance they are creating a positive feedback loop. If you eat too much and start to gain weight/lose muscle, you won't be able to perform as well. This is critical in long term success.

I agree with this completely. And it fits with what I've observed in people around me - the ones who are most successful at ditching the weight are those that lose the weight for reasons other than a number on the scale.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The study actually said that exercise may be more important to weight loss than was previously thought in that the key to maintaining a weight loss is to become more active.

I think this is true for me, but I also suspect it varies person to person.

And I'm still not sure how to know for certain that it really is true for me. I don't gain weight normally when I am active, but when I'm most active is also when I'm most motivated to actually care about eating well (and not too much) too. It all is related for me. If there was some physical reason I could not be active unrelated to becoming less motivated, I suspect I'd be able to maintain fine (if, sadly, on fewer calories).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I would argue that exercise becomes increasingly important as one shift from loss to maintenance.

When people transition from the thought of exercise to performance they are creating a positive feedback loop. If you eat too much and start to gain weight/lose muscle, you won't be able to perform as well. This is critical in long term success.

I agree with this completely. And it fits with what I've observed in people around me - the ones who are most successful at ditching the weight are those that lose the weight for reasons other than a number on the scale.

This is what I observe too.