• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5
    • Starting Strength
    • Johnny Candito's

"Eat big to get big" - Rich Piana (probably not the best person to get advice from on 'normal' things... but you should get the drift).

Because you're wanting to build some mass and strength, you need to eat in a caloric surplus. This means you eat more calories than your body needs to maintain its weight. Most people go with either;
    • 250 calorie surplus (0.5lb gain per week, minimal fat gains)
    • 500 calorie surplus (1lb gain per week, more fat than minimal)

As for macronutrients and calories, you need to be fueling your body or you're not going to grow. These are some good frameworks;
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs

You can try to do cardio with the programs I listed (that's if you pick a program there) but once the weights start getting heavy you might have DOM's and it will be harder.

Hit your macros, hit your micronutrients and eat whatever you want... good luck :)
  • wilsonm2014
    wilsonm2014 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Go check out T-Nation.com
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You can build both but first just build a foundation on basic lifts for an overall structure then from there decide if you want more strength or more mass bc believe it or not there are different ways of lifting depending on which goal you really want think of how power lifters and worlds strongest men look compares to your mr Olympia or guys on fitness magazine aka Bodybuilders! Make sense?
  • meektemple
    meektemple Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm looking to build healthy mass first, no Mr. Olympia! Along the way I expect to increase strength. Mass is priority at this point.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    High volume progressive resistance training and calorie surplus. Works all the time if done right and consistently.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • glowengosimere13
    glowengosimere13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I do p90x3! I'm trying to.change up my macros, they were 180 carbs, 135 protein, and 60g fat. I'm 5 foot 4 and weigh 132 pounds, I really want to increase in muscle mass, but I'm afraid since I'm in volleyball for 2 hours a day, p90x3, and marching band for 3 hours a day, that my cardio is taking away from my muscle growth with p90x3, any advice?
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5
    • Starting Strength
    • Johnny Candito's

"Eat big to get big" - Rich Piana (probably not the best person to get advice from on 'normal' things... but you should get the drift).

Because you're wanting to build some mass and strength, you need to eat in a caloric surplus. This means you eat more calories than your body needs to maintain its weight. Most people go with either;
    • 250 calorie surplus (0.5lb gain per week, minimal fat gains)
    • 500 calorie surplus (1lb gain per week, more fat than minimal, but optimal muscle growth)

As for macronutrients and calories, you need to be fueling your body or you're not going to grow. These are some good frameworks;
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs

You can try to do cardio with the programs I listed (that's if you pick a program there) but once the weights start getting heavy you might have DOM's and it will be harder.

Hit your macros, hit your micronutrients and eat whatever you want... good luck :)

Just a quick add for why people choose a slightly higher surplus than the touted 250. Normal logging errors can really whittle away that surplus and put you into maintenance when that isn't what you were shooting for. Bit more fat gain potential, for sure, but much better chances at staying in a optimal surplus for building muscle. Guess it depends how much you care about building muscle vs. adding fat, and how OCD you get about your logging.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey everyone! I do p90x3! I'm trying to.change up my macros, they were 180 carbs, 135 protein, and 60g fat. I'm 5 foot 4 and weigh 132 pounds, I really want to increase in muscle mass, but I'm afraid since I'm in volleyball for 2 hours a day, p90x3, and marching band for 3 hours a day, that my cardio is taking away from my muscle growth with p90x3, any advice?

Do us a favor and start your own thread. This way we aren't hijacking someone elses.