Working out with open/infected wounds

Options
I have two infected wounds and I'm itching to get back into working out. I started my antibiotics yesterday and I have a topical cream for them... what are your guys' thoughts on exercising with open wounds? Will the sweat affect them at all? Should I wait it out?

I'm so anxious to work out because a few people have noticed my weight loss! If that's not motivation, I don't know what is.

Edited to add: I should clarify that I don't go to the gym. I just do workout videos at home.

Replies

• emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    rest up and heal, otherwise you risk infections n you'll be sat miserable for even longer
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    no. if it is infections it is contagious until your antibiotics are done. walk in the neighborhood and find stuff to lift or do dvd's at home. feel better
  • meowette
    meowette Posts: 10
    Options
    Oh, I should have clarified that my working out is to Jillian Michaels videos at home, hahaha.

Is that okay?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Staff infections for everyone!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I have two infected wounds and I'm itching to get back into working out.

see-what-you-did-there-star-trek1.jpg
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

i wish my staff would get infected....

but yes! Staph infections are contagious and not good...

even working out at home I would just give them an opportunity to heal....but if you do work out, depending on the wound and severity ,just bandage it lightly (so it can breathe and so your sweat doesn't get into it and the topical cream....
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you are taking antibiotics, you have obviously seen a physician of some sort. It might be a good idea to ask that person.

Me, personally, if there is any sign of irritation or raw/wet look to the wound, I would not do any kind of workout that would make me sweat. There are plenty of low-intensity workouts. You also do not want to leave yourself wide open for a staph infection that, yes, you can still get while on antibiotics. Unlikely, but possible.

That said, I don't particularly care to share a weight bench with someone sporting a dressed wound. I don't know why you are wearing a dressing. Am I going to catch something?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options

i wish my staff would get infected....

Pick me Pick ME!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    This is why I take clorox wipes to the gym.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!
  • meowette
    Options
    I have two infected wounds and I'm itching to get back into working out.

see-what-you-did-there-star-trek1.jpg

hehehehe
  • Genetic_tea_drinker
    Options
    Rest and get better, because you risk infecting others.
    The wipes maynot be sufficient enough to kill the organisms which are causing infection in your wound.

If you can try some home workout videos, or if you are really itching to get bck to the gym, plz plz see your dr about how easily the infection can be spread or regarding suitable protective dressing which can be worn during your worout, as you may require a waterproof etc.
  • meowette
    Options

Maybe there are people who go to the gym wondering this, but I don't go to the gym at all. I meant sweating it out at home.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Working out with an open wound may cause it to open further which will require extra healing time. Wait it out, finish your antibiotics, and kick some *kitten* when you're better.
  • meowette
    Options
    Working out with an open wound may cause it to open further which will require extra healing time. Wait it out, finish your antibiotics, and kick some *kitten* when you're better.

Thank you!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Depends on where the wound is.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    24 hours on A-B's...I say go for it unless your work out makes it hurt.

But, just to be safe, clean it after your're done.
  • meowette
    Options
    Depends on where the wound is.

On my right shoulder & arm: http://distilleryimage9.s3.amazonaws.com/79651570d86b11e2bf3222000a1fd299_7.jpg
  • meowette
    Options
    24 hours on A-B's...I say go for it unless your work out makes it hurt.

But, just to be safe, clean it after your're done.

Cleaning it out afterwards is a good idea! Thanks. :)
  • glheureux56
    Options
    If it was me -- I would call and ask my physician