Safe weight to start running

Options
EDollah
EDollah Posts: 464 Member
I'm coming to a point where my walks are going to stop challenging me. Unfortunately, I'm still at a very heavy weight (300 pounds) and at my age (47) I'm very concerned that going to the next level and running would have unfortunate consequences for my knees. I used to be able to do some running when I was 250 pounds without any ill effects but it's going to be a while before I hit that number. I confess I'm too risk averse to just try it to see how it goes; I really don't want to cause an injury that would sideline me for a bit.

So (formerly) big fellas, what weight did you find you were able to start running without causing damage?

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    everyome is different. You can walk for a few minutes then incorporate sprints of jogging/running. This wil do 2 things at once. It will kick up your workout and it will tell you how far you can push it. These are HIIT based walkouts. walk then run for short burst You can start to increase the frequency and lenghths of your fast bursts.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing any strength training at all? The reason I ask is that by strengthening your hips, glutes and core you can significantly reduce the likelihood of injuring yourself when you do start running

You may be able to start a little bit of running now, maybe add 1 min slow easy running followed by 9 minutes of walking, rinse and repeat. Assuming you don't experience any undue discomfort bump it up to 2 minutes running in a couple of weeks, then 3minutes etc etc gradually adding time to your run/walks.

Be patient and be consistent and you'll find yourself itching to sign up for a 5K next year!
  • Smirfettewithmuscles
    Options
    You could try just 100 seconds of easy slower than walking "jogging" during your walk. See how it feels. Take baby steps and you may surprise yourself.
  • brenmtw
    brenmtw Posts: 2
    Options
    You can do low impact exercises as well such as swimming, elliptical, etc...that put very little stress on your joints. Also, before running, I would recommend going online to check out proper running techniques to decrease risk of injury. While it sounds silly, running is just running - right, proper foot placement and leg stride length makes all the difference in the world. Also, you can download apps to your phone that slowly get you started with running. I am currently doing a couch to 10k myself and love it. It slowly increases my running time with intervals of walking. But always check with your doctor before starting an exercise program or if you have any concerns about your health and body.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing any strength training at all? The reason I ask is that by strengthening your hips, glutes and core you can significantly reduce the likelihood of injuring yourself when you do start running

You may be able to start a little bit of running now, maybe add 1 min slow easy running followed by 9 minutes of walking, rinse and repeat. Assuming you don't experience any undue discomfort bump it up to 2 minutes running in a couple of weeks, then 3minutes etc etc gradually adding time to your run/walks.

Be patient and be consistent and you'll find yourself itching to sign up for a 5K next year!

I agree with this. Bit of strength work will be good for you all round. Running isn't the only road to fitness. I enjoy cycling, swimming, rowing, etc...

While your working up to running/or something else, you can improve your walks now. You can walk faster, but you need to push yourself. Pick a point, a tree, something, decided i'll reach that in 30 seconds, then go back to normal pace, then another tree, add in hills to your walk and again set time limits for getting up them. Time your current circuit, aim to take 2 minutes off it - it's quite hard and it's surprising how much more you can push yourself.
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    bump, aslo interested in the answers :blushing:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

^This.

You can also vary your walks by taking in more hills, and generally upping your pace (time yourself on a walk and challenge yourself to set PR's).

I'm tempted to say don't run before you can walk (I'm here all week, please tip your waitress!)..... i.e don't just go out full on running right off the bat. Like any exercise, running needs to have good form, or else you store up problems for later. So, as Brian helpfully suggested, just try a minute in amongst some walking. Make sure you are not turning your feet out, or rolling your feet as this will lead to ankle/knee/hip problems. Make sure you have suitable footwear that fully supports your feet front to back i.e. a shoe designed primarily for running. It all sounds pretty obvious, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who mes themselves up running because they didn't put any thought into it when they started!

Also, make sure you have rest days when you first start, going out running everyday without recovery will impede rather than speed up your progress.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Generally, if you can walk 5k, you can start a run/walk program to run one.

The important thing is to start slowly and gradually build up to running for longer periods of time to get your joints used to it. If you're healthy they should be able to withstand any amount of weight as long as you condition them properly for it (slowly!).
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    yea seems like everyone covered it.. intervals best bet.. and some strength training even if just body weight like squats..
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Just to follow up on some questions that were asked...

Yes I've been incorporating strength training. I've been pushing myself fairly hard actually.

For the record I've been doing a lot of indoor cardio and know well of other exercises, I am only looking to add running to have an outdoor option. Outdoor season in Boston is short so I want to take advantage of it while I can.

Again, thanks for suggestions, looks like alternating intervals of walk/run is the way to go.