is this healthy?

Options
Hiya, i am 5ft 1in and weigh 7st 8lbs. I managed to drop from 9st 8lbs after having my son however im not sure whether i did it healthily. I try and eat less than 1200 calories a day, ideally 1000 calories or less. I literally only eat breakfast biscuits, sandwich thins, crumpet thins or bagel thins with nutella/biscoff spread. That is it, no other variety except maybe a few times a month when my boyfriend is here.
It obviously worked in helping me lose weight but i always have a horrid taste in my mouth, tons of unexplained bruising on my legs, always tired etc.
I do no exercise at all.

Replies

• Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i always have a horrid taste in my mouth, tons of unexplained bruising on my legs, always tired etc.

I think you answered your own question right here.
  • ElleMarieRose
    ElleMarieRose Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    No. It's not healthy. Less than 1000 calories is not beneficial.

Cute baby, btw.
  • Luvzy
    Luvzy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    No it's not healthy. You're basically only eating carbs and not the good kind. If you want to do 1200 cal, you should eat 1200-1300 quality cals, not less. You need a balanced diet to be healthy. Eating only carbs is one of the worst diets you can have and will basically guarantee major health problems unless you are extremely lucky.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Not only are you eating too few calories, but your diet is lacking in the kind of variety that leads to good health.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    i always have a horrid taste in my mouth, tons of unexplained bruising on my legs, always tired etc.

I think you answered your own question right here.

Exactly. Of course it is not healthy to have a diet that is 95% processed carbs. Eat some vegetables and some lean protein!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, it's not. You shouldn't be cutting calories so low, and also should get a more balanced diet with some protein and vegetables. MFP can be really helpful in setting a reasonable calorie goal and also helping you get a more balanced diet--pay attention to the protein goal it will give you, for example.
  • wendybrady10
    wendybrady10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's not enough for your body to function properly, 1200 should be the least amount you consume each day. Also you haven't mentioned how much fruit and veg you eat so I'm assuming none. That won't help which will probably explain your symptoms.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    No...........MFPs lowest default minimum is 1200 (before exercise). So 1,000 calories is too low for you. The reason behind 1200 is nutritional requirements. When you log your food....are you meeting protein goals, are you meeting fat goals?

Protein helps your body fuel existing lean muscle, blood cells, and so many other bodily functions. Fat helps your body absorb nutrients. Not eating enough calories, and not enough protein is like giving your body "permission" to use existing lean muscle as fuel. Sure the number on the scale moves...but at what cost?

If you want fat loss, take a smaller deficit, meet protein goals, and do some body resistance exercises.
  • Allthaatgliitters
    Allthaatgliitters Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i used to eat much better but i found that i wasnt losing weight even with exercise, i was stuck at 8.5st for 6 months ;/
  • Allthaatgliitters
    Allthaatgliitters Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No. It's not healthy. Less than 1000 calories is not beneficial.

Cute baby, btw.

thank you, he is pretty cute :D
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    No it's not.......... but you already knew that.
  • mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You're obviously vitamin deficient. Not good for you. Cute baby needs a healthy mommy! You have got to get some produce (fruits, veggies) into your diet. And protein. Lean meats or legumes or soy or something other than the simple carb garbage your entire diet is currently consisting of. If you love those foods, it's okay to have them, just don't only eat those things! I suggest researching basic nutrition. And get a multivitamin and iron supplement asap.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hiya, i am 5ft 1in and weigh 7st 8lbs. I managed to drop from 9st 8lbs after having my son however im not sure whether i did it healthily. I try and eat less than 1200 calories a day, ideally 1000 calories or less. I literally only eat breakfast biscuits, sandwich thins, crumpet thins or bagel thins with nutella/biscoff spread. That is it, no other variety except maybe a few times a month when my boyfriend is here.
    It obviously worked in helping me lose weight but i always have a horrid taste in my mouth, tons of unexplained bruising on my legs, always tired etc.
    I do no exercise at all.
    I wold not be able to sustain this.
    You might want to read up on how MFP has helped others and just what is recommended.
    Getting Started on MFP
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177907/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Good Luck To You
    :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though you are anemic and short on vitamin C, to say the least. Eat healthy foods, not less than 1200 calories per day. Use a food scale rather than estimates or cups so that you know how much you're actually getting of meat, veggies, fruits, and complex carbs. If you didn't lose earlier, being mistaken about number of calories via inaccurate measurement is probably the culprit. If you continue what you're doing now, you're going to end up in the hospital, and no one wants that to happen!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I do no exercise at all.

If you have to ask you probably know the answer
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This is close to how I ate when I had an eating disorder. Fast forward 5 years to 77lb, actual inches lost off my height, clinical depression, amnorreah, hair loss and oh yes nearly dying... no, this isn't healthy. You need to set a good example to your children, and you need to be in good health so you can do your best as a mother and enjoy their childhoods with them.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You're eating only highly processed carbs. No, that is not healthy. Eat some protein. Now.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Not only are you eating too few calories, but your diet is lacking in the kind of variety that leads to good health.

^ this
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Too few calories and pretty much zero nutrition.... ummm nope - not at all healthy. Time to be a good roll model for that kid and make some healthier choices in life.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Eat 200 to 300 calories more each day and eat a balanced healthy diet. You are neither eating enough or quality. Keep it up and you will be in a hospital.