Gluten Free? The good, the bad and the ugly.

Options
Okay so... the big thing going on these days is "Going Gluten Free", and yes, I limit my intake on gluten or more so wheat as much as possible because I do in fact feel like crap after eating it. But I sometimes cave and eat rye toast, or an English muffin to get my calories up when need be. But with going gluten free I find many people just jump to the conclusion that everything gluten free is healthy, and that's not always the case.

Just because you are eliminating foods from your diet that contain let's say soy and gluten doesn't mean the alternatives to these products are the healthy way to go. Many people eliminate animal products and replace them with sugary alternatives (of course, unless you know what you are doing). Just like people who are new to a gluten free lifestyle replace their gluten with sugar and starch without really knowing it. Yikes...

A lot of Gluten free food you buy on the shelves contain pro-inflammatory protein gluten. Yes... you read that right.

It is healthy to not consume so much wheat in your diets because of how it reacts to your digestive track, but just remember... not every alternative is the right choice.

If you are going gluten free, be smart about it. And I would suggest home cooking - Gluten free so you are safe and know what's in your foods. But check ingredients. Limit starch flours, and replace them with coconut, oat, brown rice and almond flours. You'll be set.

Just a pointer.

Replies

• agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Very good point. I'm feeling great being gluten free, but I'm basically grain free/dairy free/sugar free. If you're just substituting regular bread with gluten free cake and cookies, you might lessen a few symptoms, but you're not doing yourself any favors overall. I've definitely noticed a lot of "gluten free" prepared foods available now that I definitely would not eat because there is so little actual nutrition in them.

And while I do most of my cooking at home - lots of crockpot meals that I can take to work - it's not as bad as I had worried that it would be to eat out at most places. You can usually find fish and steamed veggies or a salad with chicken on top and oil and vinegar or some such thing on most menus. And I always keep a stash of nuts in my car just in case. If you're prepared, it's way, way easier.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Very good point. I'm feeling great being gluten free, but I'm basically grain free/dairy free/sugar free. If you're just substituting regular bread with gluten free cake and cookies, you might lessen a few symptoms, but you're not doing yourself any favors overall. I've definitely noticed a lot of "gluten free" prepared foods available now that I definitely would not eat because there is so little actual nutrition in them.

And while I do most of my cooking at home - lots of crockpot meals that I can take to work - it's not as bad as I had worried that it would be to eat out at most places. You can usually find fish and steamed veggies or a salad with chicken on top and oil and vinegar or some such thing on most menus. And I always keep a stash of nuts in my car just in case. If you're prepared, it's way, way easier.

I totally agree with this. But so many people who are just dropping wheat and gluten often don't really do the research because they are all like "Hey! There is ready made gluten/soy... whatever free foods," so they buy all of it and end up adding a lot of unhealthy things to their diets. It's quite sad.
  • briwelsh27
    briwelsh27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know when I started I bought some of the pre-made just because it was easier. I did research but some of the flours were expensive and I was happy that I didn't have to give up a lot of things. Now I usually don't buy anything pre made like that. If I make something and it taste awful, which sometimes it does, trial and error. But usually things come out a lot better and cheaper making them from scratch. The biggest thing is I feel a lot better not having dairy and a lot of gluten in my life anymore :)
  • LorienAnduin
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I've noticed that I seem to be gluten sensitive. I have significantly reduced my intake. I'll definitely keep this in mind. I am trying to eat a mostly plant based diet now. It has made a huge difference for me in my health, fitness, psyche, and appearance.
  • thesophierose
    Options
    Actually most people have a sensitivity without truly knowing about it. It's rather a scary situation. But you are welcome :) And I am glad that you have done so well with the plant based diet!!! :D
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this. But so many people who are just dropping wheat and gluten often don't really do the research because they are all like "Hey! There is ready made gluten/soy... whatever free foods," so they buy all of it and end up adding a lot of unhealthy things to their diets. It's quite sad.

I think it's true of anything with a label - if you don't read the actual ingredient list and nutrition info - labels will get you into trouble. My husband does it all the time - anything that has a healthy sounding label on the front - he claims he's eating health food. "These cookies are ORGANIC!" Ugh. He's not stupid and I think he just likes it as an excuse to eat whatever he feels like eating and still feel good about it. And I'm sure the marketing people know that he's not the only one. If those buzzwords added to the packaging take away the guilt, they'll sell more. For the average consumer, it just has to look/sound healthy...

If you want to actually make a change to improve your health by eliminating various processed junk, you've got to really read labels down to the fine print (or better yet, just eat produce and meat that don't need labels in the first place). Honestly the only things I buy anymore where there is even a label to read are like hot sauce, tea, seasonings.... and nuts and things in the bulk bins to make sure nothing is added.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    People falling for the marketing of " healthy" food.

I found that eating gluten free was easier than I though it would be. I am following the Paleo diet, so no grains or dairy ( besides whey protein) for me. I usually grill a weeks work of meat on Sundays and use the veggie steamer packets for quick veggies during the week.

Honestly there are no foods that really warrant buying them in gluten free versions. They are too expensive. It is easier to cut them out completely and then you no longer crave them.

Both my fiancee and I have found out that we have gluten sensitivities.... now we both feel so much better
  • Hadley_SM
    Hadley_SM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It's the same thing with pretty much any diet that's super restrictive. I mean, how many people have been on here or have you seen in real life that equate becoming vegetarian or vegan with getting 95% of their calories from highly processed carbs?
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    The BIG difference is some people go GF for the fad diet aspect (which I think is complete crap), and there are those that do it because they can't digest it. Any "diet" that is restrictive is junk IMO. I have been GF for the most part since March, with a few slip ups here and there and feel SO much better because of it. With gluten, it's an all or nothing approach to feel the difference unfortunately. It's not the same as lowering sodium or sugar.

As for the health aspects of GF foods, anything processed is going to be a toss up on how healthy it is. Just because it's GF does not automatically make it healthy. It just makes it safe for those of us to eat that get sick from gluten is all.
  • clairabellle
    clairabellle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I spent a year in and out of hospital with severe digestive issues and fitting, long story short they finally diagnosed me and I'm a Coeliac, I'm allergic to most grains and can't even tolerate G/F products. I keep it really clean and am finally feeling great. Havnt had a migraine or fit since and my stomach will eventually come right :-)
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    GF is really faddy, but if you want to learn more I do recommend reading "Wheat Belly". It definitely clears up a lot and is worth the read if you're thinking about GF.

I think a lot of people overestimate their intolerance though. People tend to want to find excuses for their problems "Oh I'm fat because I have celiac disease!". Not saying that no one has it, but when something becomes a fad and gets tossed around there also becomes way too many armchair physicians diagnosing themselves with celiac disease.

If you go GF you are pretty much going low-carb which typically results in weight loss no matter how you slice it. As he points out in the book, this is usually because of a decrease in calorie intake overall (due to various other effects he mentions).

And please don't fall victim to the marketing. One thing that always makes me laugh is the Chex cereal with their new "Gluten free!" labels. I love Chex but guys... chex is made from corn... which is not wheat... meaning it NATURALLY does not have gluten. But ignorant people will buy it thinking there's something miraculous about it. (I love Chex btw, I just hate the marketing).

Read Wheat Belly, get informed, and decide for yourself.
  • thesophierose
    Options
    GF is really faddy, but if you want to learn more I do recommend reading "Wheat Belly". It definitely clears up a lot and is worth the read if you're thinking about GF.

I think a lot of people overestimate their intolerance though. People tend to want to find excuses for their problems "Oh I'm fat because I have celiac disease!". Not saying that no one has it, but when something becomes a fad and gets tossed around there also becomes way too many armchair physicians diagnosing themselves with celiac disease.

If you go GF you are pretty much going low-carb which typically results in weight loss no matter how you slice it. As he points out in the book, this is usually because of a decrease in calorie intake overall (due to various other effects he mentions).

And please don't fall victim to the marketing. One thing that always makes me laugh is the Chex cereal with their new "Gluten free!" labels. I love Chex but guys... chex is made from corn... which is not wheat... meaning it NATURALLY does not have gluten. But ignorant people will buy it thinking there's something miraculous about it. (I love Chex btw, I just hate the marketing).

I do completely agree with you my dear. I have read his book, i love it. I was just pointing out the fact that people just jump to the easier way out without truly educating themselves beforehand. I personally really really really don't feel well after eating bread, but it doesn't happen til the next day. That's why I initially stopped eating so much wheat products. But I didn't jump to gluten free foods because I knew they were not good. I make my own things. To me it's the better option in everything.
  • mrslynah
    mrslynah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am going on three months gluten free and dairy free after a lot of research on how it may help a disease I have. I too have found that I don't need things labeled GLUTEN FREE. In fact, those are usually foods in a box and should probably be used sparingly. If I had celiac disease (never been tested), and my only concern was getting rid of gluten, then I may just swap out all my old products for new, cooler, more expensive ones. But since I have a disease (Stage IV Endometriosis) that is fueled by just about every processed, unhealthy, hormone-pumped, or genetically modified food known to man, I have a far more comprehensive mission. So far, for me it has meant diary free, gluten free, and becoming a snob about my meat and veggies (meaning buying the best meat I can afford and buying my veggies from local farmers). Interestingly, I have not lost one pound since these changes. Calories in, calories out... That hasn't changed. That "bonus" of instantly dropping 15 lbs hasn't happened for me, which is fine. I'm at a healthy weight now, and I know to get the ripped body I want, I'm going to have to bust my *kitten* for it. All in all, I have to say that the changes in my diet have leaked into other parts of my life and become a journey that is actually quite enjoyable. :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

I chuckled when I noticed it on Coco Pebbles too! lol
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    What is "pro-inflammatory protein gluten"?
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options

I chuckled when I noticed it on Coco Pebbles too! lol

I'd say one reason they advertise as such is that a lot of corn and rice based cereals have barley malt extract which makes them unsafe for Celiacs.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've definitely noticed a lot of "gluten free" prepared foods available now that I definitely would not eat because there is so little actual nutrition in them.
    You always have to watch prepared foods. Gluten free labels on food is reminding me of 'Fat Free' labeling in the 90's (and some of it's still like that today). Anything something takes off, people will try to sell you a bunch of processed stuff as 'gluten free' even if it never had any to begin with.

The other option is not to try to make bread/pasta/whatever with alternate flours and just buy veggies and potatoes or rice (if you are needing carbs) and just eat that.