Graduating from counting calories???

13»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited August 2015
    Some use a GPS when they are making the same trip for the 22nd time and others graduate from using a GPS on that same trip. It is when the conditions ahead change or you get to talking and miss a turn that using a GPS can save the day. I still weigh each morning and log that number so I know to do a few calorie counts to see why the scales are moving in maintenance.

I find a +/- 2 pound range is normal for me. If trying to maintain at 198 then I have no concerns as long as the scales report 196-200 pounds each morning.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    I have learned a lot about what reasonable portion sizes are, so I don't conssistetly log any more, but I do weigh my food when I am preparing it.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    I've tried intuitive eating and no tracking but the lbs come back slowly. I will continue logging for a long while until I feel more comfortable that old bad habits won't creep back and I am better at guesstimating.

But long term, my plan is to be able to eat mostly intuitively but still use calorie counting to find out calorie counts of new recipes and to lose weight if a few lbs creep back up.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 333 Member
    I'm celebrating my first year of Maintenance...and will say my "Intuitive Eating" sensor is broken. I tried it off and on yet couldn't find that right balance. Since counting calories worked for me, it will continue. No reason not to since it's a habit now. For those that stop counting calories, I do encourage the weekly/monthly weigh in. I've seen so many people surprised at a 40 pound weight gain since they last stepped on a scale....or saw a picture of themselves. I won't ever be surprised like that.

Calories is easy...with MFP and web/phone/tablet entry...no reason not to track it....for me. :)