New Mom - Weight loss after pregnancy

Options
anewmannn
anewmannn Posts: 12 Member
Now that I am finally healed from my c-section I am looking to start a new work out & clean eating routine. I had gained weight in the months before I got pregnant, so now that i've gone through pregnancy & birth I feel extra down about my current size/body. I think I would benefit from having another person or people who have similar goals to communicate with throughout this journey. Someone to discuss work outs with, recipes, tips & tricks to stay on track, etc. I am determined to lose about 80 pounds, however long that takes me. I'm finding it hard to have time to cook meals or meal prep now that I have a baby. Would love to talk to some moms who have had success with fitting in work outs & stick to healthy eating, while being a mom! Please message me if you think we could help each other :)

Replies

• meltamese
    meltamese Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm in a similar situation. I have a 13-month-old and a 15-year-old. I had also gained some weight before I got pregnant, then gained quite a bit during pregnancy. I gained even more after baby was born :'( Anyway, I'm almost a month into working out and trying to eat better. Cooking is definitely a challenge, I work full-time. I still have quite a ways to go; I hope to lose 50+ lbs myself. Feel free to add me, it's nice to see someone with similar struggles. I'm sure we can be a great motivation and help to each other!
  • sharmi27
    sharmi27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I finally lost 20 lb when my second baby turned a year. It was 80% food bc I had limited time to workout. My workouts were mainly weight training and my diet was 5-6 small meals of a lot of protein, veggies and minimal carb. The first 6 weeks, I set a total calorie goal of 1300-1400 calories. After that it was 1600 and now to maintain, I eat abotu 1800. It was hard and required the support of my husband who could take over watching the kids while I did what I needed. But once you do it, you'll be so happy you did!
  • alm_0402
    alm_0402 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My baby is 16 months and I weigh more now than when I was pregnant! Getting back into healthier habits and trying to find energy and motivation to workout! Would love to be friends with any of you!
  • WhoDeyMa
    WhoDeyMa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My son will be 2 in less then a week! :( I want us both to be healthier.
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    anewmannn wrote: »
    Now that I am finally healed from my c-section I am looking to start a new work out & clean eating routine. I had gained weight in the months before I got pregnant, so now that i've gone through pregnancy & birth I feel extra down about my current size/body. I think I would benefit from having another person or people who have similar goals to communicate with throughout this journey. Someone to discuss work outs with, recipes, tips & tricks to stay on track, etc. I am determined to lose about 80 pounds, however long that takes me. I'm finding it hard to have time to cook meals or meal prep now that I have a baby. Would love to talk to some moms who have had success with fitting in work outs & stick to healthy eating, while being a mom! Please message me if you think we could help each other :)

Hi there, I was in your exact situation a year ago and have lost 2 stone since November. I also had a C-section, and put on a lot of weight when pregnant (partly due to complicated pregnancy, partly eating too much if I'm totally honest). I hated my body post pregnancy, my stomach looked gross and I lost a lot of confidence as I was always very petite so the fact I had gained weight looked so much more obvious. Anyway, I decided enough was enough when my little one turned 1 (I should have done it sooner!) and started eating clean and bought workout dvds to do at home. Slowly but surely the weight has come off and I'm stronger than I have been in years - I'm now maintaining at my goal weight. Feel free to add me, happy to share recipes / workout info with you and motivate you along the way :)

One thing I would say is don't be too aggressive with calorie cutting straight away if you're a new mum, you need your energy so be sensible and eat net calories of at least your BMR. Also are you breastfeeding? If so, you will need extra calories to ensure you are providing enough milk (I think I remember my midwife telling me it uses up to 500 calories a day, but it's worth finding out as you don't want to restrict your supply - not an issue if you're formula feeding though)

As for fitting in workouts, it helps when your little one has developed some kind of sleeping pattern. I was pretty fortunate that way, but remember it being so challenging at first! I do my exercises Monday - Thursday and once over the weekend in the evening about 8:30pm once my little one has gone to bed, then I get showered, chill out for a bit and go to bed myself :) I only work out for 30 mins at a time as I still need some "me" time afterwards, but I do make those 30 minutes count. Build up gradually, especially post C-section. Assuming you've had the all clear to start exercising and that your section wound has fully healed, get walking / jogging with the pram - there are fitness classes about for new mums which include bringing babies along and you will also meet people in the same boat as you.

In terms of food prep, this is hard to fit in with a little one. But over time I've found and tried some great healthy clean recipes that don't take too long to prepare. Also it helps if you're making something to make extra and freeze / refrigerate the leftovers to reheat on days when you don't find the time to cook. I have a go-to dinner which I love which takes 5 mins to prepare, is super healthy and yum! I eat plenty of protein, try to limit my carbs to under 150g per day and avoid refined sugar as much as possible. I also eat loads of healthy fats (nuts, avocados etc) as I've been told it helps with hormone regulation.

Sorry to ramble on a bit, hopefully some of this helps you :) you can do it, good luck xx