Options

Replies

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Well, the Coca-Cola corporation has the goal to stay in business and keep their shareholders happy. It is in their interest to shift the conversation about obesity away from sugary drinks. And it is in our best interest to be skeptical of that claim.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Poor Coca-Cola with their lagging sales. They may keep spending millions on their junk science, but I'll never like their drink as much as I dislike exercise!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Someone posted the nytimes link last night, but since it was so late at night, it got no attention. Poor post. Lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is that full sugar soft drink sales have dropped by 25% according to the article. Yet obesity is increasing? So is it the soda?
    I'll ALWAYS say that obesity is going to be a result of overconsumption. Say someone ate well (400 calories a meal 3 times a day) and had a 2200 calorie limit. That leaves 1000 calories to consume. If it was just soda, that would be about 7 1/4 cans of Coke a day to meet it, and more to exceed it. Personally when I drank full sugar soda, I didn't drink at MOST 3 cans in a day. Personally I doubt that the average overweight regular soda drinker is drinking 7+cans of sodas a day. So where's the extra calories likely from? Over eating HIGH CALORIE foods.

I will disagree with the scientists that say it's lack of exercise. That's plays just a small role. Anyone that truly knows about how weight loss works understands it's still about CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Don't know about corrupt.

But they naturally care more about their profits than their customers health, and would most likely say and do anything that'll help their bottom dollar.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Soda consumption maybe down but they continue to market other calorie rich beverages like power drinks, ready to drink teas, health waters. Also, juice from concentrate consumption is also another source of calories added that is marketed. They are spending a lot of money to try to figure out how to keep their consumers. I'm just as guilty though I suck down the coke zeros and i love dasani water.

I want to know why they didn't do this research in Mexcio their biggest consumers. Coincidentally as of my last reading that fattest in the world. Correlation?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hence soft drink sponsorship of Olympics, World Cup Soccer, etc. I think the US has the largest soda consumption per capita - http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/map_of_the_week/2012/07/map_of_soda_consumption_americans_drink_more_than_anyone_else_.html - maybe it's a prohibition hangover.