I am so scared...

Options
I have been reading up on some articles that say the likelihood of regaining weight is greater than keeping it off long term, especially for those who have always been overweight or obese.

I can't imagine getting down to my goal weight only to regain most of it back. I think that would kill me.

According to some sources, most people who have kept the weight loss off for a significant amount of years was either once small or fit to begin with.

I have never been small, even at 3 I was chubby. So its like will my body just eventually go back to being what it knows best?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I truly believe that the majority of people who regain the weight do so because they see weight loss as a temporary thing which they have to do so they can go back to 'normal'. Trouble is, 'normal' is what got us to needing to lose weight in the first place. I think maintenance of a loss is as hard as the loss itself and you have to learn a new 'normal'. That's where success happens.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Prove them wrong?

But for me, I see it as a choice, you can either be over weight 100% of the time or for a few months or years you can be at your goal weight and then maybe regain.

I pick the 2nd option.

In those reports are they based on people who do something like mfp etc or based on people who do teatox, cleanses and lose 7 pounds of water weight then put it back on when eating normal again.
  • emiliepdx
    emiliepdx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I regained all my weight over last year. I got distracted and fell back in my lld habits. Dumb dumb dumb. I m back on track now though, just got to do it again. It ´s like AA you just can never go back.
  • jokoh92
    jokoh92 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Prove them wrong?

But for me, I see it as a choice, you can either be over weight 100% of the time or for a few months or years you can be at your goal weight and then maybe regain.

I pick the 2nd option.

In those reports are they based on people who do something like mfp etc or based on people who do teatox, cleanses and lose 7 pounds of water weight then put it back on when eating normal again.

Some reports were talking about the biggest loser contestants who gained the weight they loss back and others were talking about those who used WeightWatchers, Jenny Craig, or did gastric sleeve.

Few talked about those that used MFP or sites like it but it was mentioned in one article. But mostly those who did it through programs or surgery were mentioned the most as those most likely to put the weight back on.

So I guess it is like Alatariel75 said...these people were more than likely probably in it for the short term.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I think too many see it as a short term quick fix.

eat 1200 calories a day for 3 months to lose 24 pounds, then go right back to eating 3500 calories and pile on the weight again.

I think that's one of the advantages of taking it slow, developing habits, breaking old ones.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You need to plan for maintenance

People who regain have an end goal in mind...they get to their weight and think "I've done it" then stop focusing on what they are eating and how they are moving

I know ..I did that for decades

I don't do that now ...maintenance is as tough as losing weight you just get a couple of hundred extra calories

But that's what you need to do

So do it

Group statistics mean little ...someone is always on the extreme of the bell curve ...make it you
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I would say that 75% of people (at least) will regain some if not all the weight back. (and probably a higher percentage if you look at their weight for the rest of their lives)
    It's HARD. I have very few, if any, proper body signals for hunger/fullness so I cannot at all rely on my body. I'm constantly in a state of 'I could eat'. I like food, it's what I would like to do after a long day when I am tired. I get cravings and think about food almost all the time. My brain seems to be wired that way, whether because I 'trained' it to be, or whether it's just who I am.
    Last time I lost weight, I tried to do all the 'right' things. I ate food I liked in moderation. I kept a reasonable calorie deficit (ate on average 1800 cals a day). I worked my eating habits into what works for ME (most my cals in the evening). Did some exercise.
    I looked better, felt better, was more confident, and swore I would never ever gain the weight back.
    I didn't even make it to my goal weight (which was never a set thing, just whatever weight I was when I felt I was happy) before I ended up regaining all I lost plus a little more.

I hate to be bearer of bad news but it is very likely that a person will regain at least some weight. Just the way it is. If losing weight/staying small was easy there wouldn't be any fat people. But it's not, it's hard. All you can do is give it your best shot, try to make it a lifestyle change (if you can find a sport or physical activity you like that you can strive to get better at I think that helps), and see what happens. I would rather be 'skinny' sometimes, than never at all.
  • jokoh92
    Options
    I truly believe that the majority of people who regain the weight do so because they see weight loss as a temporary thing which they have to do so they can go back to 'normal'. Trouble is, 'normal' is what got us to needing to lose weight in the first place. I think maintenance of a loss is as hard as the loss itself and you have to learn a new 'normal'. That's where success happens.

I 100% agree with this but I just wonder if its more to it than that if so many people regain the weight.

I have a friend who is vegan and has been vegan for five years now but has regained some of the weight she lost and she still eats fairly small portions and healthy.

While she hasnt regained a lot back, she now struggles to lose weight again.

So I just wonder if it is a science behind it.

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    No, there is not 'science' behind it other than calories in vs calories out. Your friend is simply eat more than she is burning.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    No, there is not 'science' behind it other than calories in vs calories out. Your friend is simply eat more than she is burning.

And that's the science

Calories in>calories out = weight gain
  • jokoh92
    Options
    I would say that 75% of people (at least) will regain some if not all the weight back. (and probably a higher percentage if you look at their weight for the rest of their lives)
    It's HARD. I have very few, if any, proper body signals for hunger/fullness so I cannot at all rely on my body. I'm constantly in a state of 'I could eat'. I like food, it's what I would like to do after a long day when I am tired. I get cravings and think about food almost all the time. My brain seems to be wired that way, whether because I 'trained' it to be, or whether it's just who I am.
    Last time I lost weight, I tried to do all the 'right' things. I ate food I liked in moderation. I kept a reasonable calorie deficit (ate on average 1800 cals a day). I worked my eating habits into what works for ME (most my cals in the evening). Did some exercise.
    I looked better, felt better, was more confident, and swore I would never ever gain the weight back.
    I didn't even make it to my goal weight (which was never a set thing, just whatever weight I was when I felt I was happy) before I ended up regaining all I lost plus a little more.

I hate to be bearer of bad news but it is very likely that a person will regain at least some weight. Just the way it is. If losing weight/staying small was easy there wouldn't be any fat people. But it's not, it's hard. All you can do is give it your best shot, try to make it a lifestyle change (if you can find a sport or physical activity you like that you can strive to get better at I think that helps), and see what happens. I would rather be 'skinny' sometimes, than never at all.

I think this is perhaps the most honest thing I have read about weight loss and experience with it. Even though I know that may happen for me especially since its happened before, like you said, I would rather be 'skinny' sometimes, than never at all.

I will keep pushing and see where it leads. Hopefully I can beat the odds and even if I can't, I hope at the very least, I gain back very little.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    jokoh92 wrote: »
    Prove them wrong?

I pick the 2nd option.

Some reports were talking about the biggest loser contestants who gained the weight they loss back and others were talking about those who used WeightWatchers, Jenny Craig, or did gastric sleeve.

Few talked about those that used MFP or sites like it but it was mentioned in one article. But mostly those who did it through programs or surgery were mentioned the most as those most likely to put the weight back on.

So I guess it is like Alatariel75 said...these people were more than likely probably in it for the short term.

The Biggest Loser contestants were, notoriously, put through a completely abnormal and unsustainable (and according to some accounts, abusive) training and eating regime. The WW, Jenny Craig - some have kept it off, according to that weight loss registry, and to some people on this site, but I have to think most people on those plans look at the short term. (Gastric sleeve, I don't know much about, but I'm sure there are reasons people gain after that.)

There is almost no research that I've heard about that's looked at apps and sites like MFP. (I'm pretty sure people here would be all over it, so if it existed, I would.) It's a really unique phenomenon, if you think about it. People's phones are extensions of themselves, it's not like having to lug a pad and paper everywhere; this database is hugely comprehensive, most foods you'll want are on it; the site is sometimes buggy but overall, it's easier to log than ever. There's also a great base of knowledgeable support if you need it, whenever you need it. People are happy to share the thousand big and small ways they've made weight loss liveable for them and sustainable long term. Many people here have been successful. You can be, too.
  • Nataysha88
    Nataysha88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have put my weight back on 3 times.. I was doing fad diets and I never truly knew how or what to eat.. I’d lose the weight and then I wouldn’t know what to do after so I’d end up back in my old habits.
    Educate yourself about food and its role in your body, that’s the best thing I’ve done for my weightloss. Knowledge is key
  • jokoh92
    Options
    I think too many see it as a short term quick fix.

eat 1200 calories a day for 3 months to lose 24 pounds, then go right back to eating 3500 calories and pile on the weight again.

I think that's one of the advantages of taking it slow, developing habits, breaking old ones.

I think too people don't even realize when its happening. It starts out with, I will just have this one cheeseburger today as a cheat meal. I mean why not, I've been slaving away for months. Then turns into...this double cheeseburger and pizza won't hurt for a cheat day and eventually...this big mac, nuggets, large coke, apple pie and large fries...

It becomes an everyday thing and before they know it they start feeling so guilty that they stop logging and thus begins the regaining mode.

I think the key is logging no matter what because it helps you quickly realize how much you're eating and how you need to get back on track asap.

Most people who regain too are probably not logging anymore. I know that was the case for me first time around.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you go back to the same quantities of foods and/or lack of movement you did before you lost weight, then yes you will be overweight again.
    But if you stick to the calories that will let you maintain your weight, and maybe throw in some exercise, then you will not regain weight.

In the end it's totally 100% in your control whether you succeed or not..
  • jokoh92
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You need to plan for maintenance

People who regain have an end goal in mind...they get to their weight and think "I've done it" then stop focusing on what they are eating and how they are moving

I know ..I did that for decades

I don't do that now ...maintenance is as tough as losing weight you just get a couple of hundred extra calories

But that's what you need to do

So do it

Group statistics mean little ...someone is always on the extreme of the bell curve ...make it you

Yeah thats what I am realizing now but I still worry that because I've been obese all my life that my body will somehow sabotage all my efforts to keep it off. But I guess I will just have to wait and see.
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    YOU control what goes into your body and what you do with it. Not the other way around.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    clarion_r wrote: »
    YOU control what goes into your body and what you do with it. Not the other way around.

Exactly. Sometimes it's easier to find the excuses why you can't rather than the reasons why you can

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that when you are heavier you need more calories per day to maintain a certain weight. If you are less heavy your maintenance calories are lower. I think most people don't realize this and continue eating like before their diet, hence they regain their weight. I do wonder if this is the truth behind yoyo'ing.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I think you are very brave OP, to be honest about your fears. You are already ahead of the pack because you are thoughtfully considering what will happen down the line. As a result, I think you are more likely to be vigilant. You are going into this with your eyes wide open.

If there was any advice that I would live by, it would be, never stop tracking. Some people hate the idea of monitoring themselves for life, but I don't fight against that. We monitor our health and our teeth with regular check ups, so why not our weight and eating? If we see tracking as a horrible chore that we can't wait to get rid or when we get to our goal I feel it indicates that we have not really addressed the long term implications of staying slim.

We also need to let go of the idea that there are skinny lucky people that eat what they want and that we are deprived and hard done by. There are not people like that and acceptance that we do not "deserve" to eat massive portions is a big part of the struggle. I really worry for the people on this site that have a chip on their shoulder as if they have been given a raw deal in life and others have it easy - there is no accountability in thinking that way.

There is a lot going on in our heads and that is what can sabotage us.