HELP! BMR and TDEE

Options
My BMR is 1496 and TDEE is 1896. So how many calories per day to lose at least. 1 to 2 lbs a week?

Replies

• mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    1 lb = 3500 cals
    3500/7=500 cals a day to lose 1 lb a week
    That would be 1396 cals a day for you to lose 1 lb a week.
    This is below your BMR, so I suggest you pick a more realistic goal (you probably do not have that much weight to lose), like .5 pounds a week.
    Losing .5 pounds a week would put you at 1650 cals a day.
  • 2009jewellz
    2009jewellz Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I sent you a message. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    take 20% off your TDEE
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    mimieon wrote: »
    1 lb = 3500 cals
    3500/7=500 cals a day to lose 1 lb a week
    That would be 1396 cals a day for you to lose 1 lb a week.
    This is below your BMR, so I suggest you pick a more realistic goal (you probably do not have that much weight to lose), like .5 pounds a week.
    Losing .5 pounds a week would put you at 1650 cals a day.

There's nothing wrong with eating below BMR

OP, what are your stats? It doesn't sound like you have much to lose at that TDEE level.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating below BMR. Not sure where people get that or why they keep bringing it up.
  • curlyblue21
    curlyblue21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry to butt in your question but I was just wondering if I could get some help...I have been eating 1200 cal a day and lost 3 stone, but I'm worried that when I get to my goal and start eating to maintain that I will put weight on, I'm 36yrs, 165 pounds, 5,3...slightly concerned that my body is use to 1200 cals and that if I eat more I will just gain!
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Hi, sorry to butt in your question but I was just wondering if I could get some help...I have been eating 1200 cal a day and lost 3 stone, but I'm worried that when I get to my goal and start eating to maintain that I will put weight on, I'm 36yrs, 165 pounds, 5,3...slightly concerned that my body is use to 1200 cals and that if I eat more I will just gain!
    If you don't eat more than maintenance, you won't gain fat. It's unlikely that 1200 is your maintenance level.
  • curlyblue21
    Options
    I went away for the weekend, I had 1500 cal a day for three days, thought I would be ok as it is still under 2000 but I put on 3 lb! Don't know why
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I went away for the weekend, I had 1500 cal a day for three days, thought I would be ok as it is still under 2000 but I put on 3 lb! Don't know why

sodium/glycogen... so water
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

sodium/glycogen... so water
    Yeah, water. 1500 calories a day for 3 days wouldn't put on 3 pounds of fat if your TDEE had been 0. Not possible.
  • curlyblue21
    Options
    So why? Don't get it, I have weeks where I stay the same but never put on, it's just weird as soon as I up cals, hopefully I will be back to what I was before weekend away then, will weigh again tomorrow.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    So why? Don't get it, I have weeks where I stay the same but never put on, it's just weird as soon as I up cals, hopefully I will be back to what I was before weekend away then, will weigh again tomorrow.

you're retaining water because of extra sodium and glycogen
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Because weight loss isn't linear because the body retains water for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with caloric intake.

It is physically impossible for 1500 calories per day for 3 days to turn into 3 pounds of fat. Impossible. Literally, impossible.
  • curlyblue21
    Options
    Sorry I'm clueless with all this...so I have just retained water because of a change in my body and if I still eat around 1500 I should still loose weight
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Sorry I'm clueless with all this...so I have just retained water because of a change in my body and if I still eat around 1500 I should still loose weight
    It looks like your TDEE (the total number of calories you burn in a day) -- even at a desk job/couch potato level of activity -- is 1691. If that's accurate for you, you would lose weight at an actual 1500 calories a day.
  • kristi_moe
    kristi_moe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I put in all my numbers it says I should eat anywhere from 1900 calories to 2400 calories a day depending on my activity level. Omg! That sounds like way to much.... I weigh 203 and want to get down to 170. In the past year I lost from 260 down to 173 but dh had some major health issues and we spent 6 months in hospital with 4 months being in cvicu where I never left hospital so I put back on 30 lbs and I want to loose that weight again now that we are back home and back to normal again. But that seems like way to many calories. I didn't eat that many when I was doing it the first time.
  • curlyblue21
    Options
    It looks like your TDEE (the total number of calories you burn in a day) -- even at a desk job/couch potato level of activity -- is 1691. If that's accurate for you, you would lose weight at an actual 1500 calories a day.

• curlyblue21
    Options
    Ok thanks for your help, will try and stick to around 1500 cals...my weight has slowed down anyway so if I can loose weight still then that's a bonus..a bit scary though! Been on 1200 for so long but hey... It's more food!
  • TobyTimmyNala
    TobyTimmyNala Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Instead of jumping right up from 1200 to1500 calories I would gradually increase the amount of calories each week, perhaps 1300 week 1, 1400 week 2, and then finally to 1500 in week 3 so as not to "shock" your system, though as long as you are eating below your TDEE you will lose weight.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options

Instead of jumping right up from 1200 to1500 calories I would gradually increase the amount of calories each week, perhaps 1300 week 1, 1400 week 2, and then finally to 1500 in week 3 so as not to "shock" your system, though as long as you are eating below your TDEE you will lose weight.
    You're not going to shock your system, but you may shock your eyes when you look at the scale... you'll have a lot more food in your system so your weight will jump up even though your fat won't.

That said, working your way up in increments wouldn't be a bad way to do it.