How long does it take to see results Weight Lifting?

Options
Im only two weeks in and I have already increase my strength quite a bit. Yesterday was the first day I was able to lift 100lbs with my legs, I started at 45lbs. Other than noticing the improvement in your workout how long did it take you to see results in the mirror?

Replies

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yey for newbie gains :) take advantage of the next few weeks, as you won't see gains like this again at the pace you are now after about 6 weeks(sorry to be the bearer of bad news lol) As for changes in the mirror diet will play a major role but over the next few weeks you'll start seeing small changes. Take weekly progress pictures to help see the progress you're making.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Yey for newbie gains :) take advantage of the next few weeks, as you won't see gains like this again at the pace you are now after about 6 weeks(sorry to be the bearer of bad news lol) As for changes in the mirror diet will play a major role but over the next few weeks you'll start seeing small changes. Take weekly progress pictures to help see the progress you're making.

My diet though is mainly protein, very little carbs and water. about .8g of protein per lbs, 60g carbs or less, and about 60g of fat. I have been doing that sense June. I like the idea of taking progress pictures to see the differences since I cant seem to get past 200lbs on the dam scale

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I would say about a month for me. It's slow but if you take pictures of yourself like every month and compare them it will become more obvious how much progress you have made.
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    I have been tracking my inches with measuring tape but its different almost every time up and down so I doubt Im doing it right
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depends on your diet, program & genetics.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options

My diet though is mainly protein, very little carbs and water. about .8g of protein per lbs, 60g carbs or less, and about 60g of fat. I have been doing that sense June. I like the idea of taking progress pictures to see the differences since I cant seem to get past 200lbs on the dam scale

I was sort of doing a lower-carb diet/lifestyle before I started lifting, and was told not only by my trainer, but through research, that weightlifting is, when you do it in a program where you lift progressively heavier weights, an anaerobic activity, esp. if you lift to near failure. When your body's glycogen stores deplete as you're lifting, your body either needs to utilize carbs for your energy replenishment, or will assimilate muscle tissue (I may be a bit off here, but basically your body will not turn to its fat stores) to replenish your glycogen stores. Google carbohydrates + anaerobic exercise to get more info.

Anyway, I have completely shifted my view on "low carb" when it comes to weightlifting; and my bigger cardio activity of choice, mountain biking.

While you are experiencing great newbie gainz right now, look into adding more carbs on lifting days to give you that energy to push through those heavy reps. Protein first and foremost, fats are also good, but don't be afraid of those carbs.
  • katecampisi
    katecampisi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1200-1300 calories per day ( a little more relaxed on weekends!) and cardio/strength training 5-6 days per week. It took around 8 weeks to really SEE progress. It was quite dis-heartening at first. Seemed soo slow. My pants are all loose now and I have more muscle definition. Im getting results now. 4 kg in 2 months. Slow but steady. 2 to go till goal.
  • rebeccamorgan58152
    rebeccamorgan58152 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been doing NROLFW for about 3 - 4 weeks, my glutes are MUCH higher, my waist is looking more defined and I'm starting to see some nice definition in my shoulders. I'm on a moderate deficit and I'm averaging about 1800 calories a day, losing again after crazy water gains and losses. I'm doing it at home and I have a 12.5 pound bar, I started with an empty bar and now I'm up to 34ish pounds in added weight, which is killing me squat-wise :-)
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    I dont know how people are able to lift more than 3 days a week im so sore from the DOMS effect that I can still barley walk after 2 days of rest.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I dont know how people are able to lift more than 3 days a week im so sore from the DOMS effect that I can still barley walk after 2 days of rest.
    My DOMS usually disappear entirely after 1-2 weeks of consistent exercise. I was bad last week and went 5 days without working out so now I'm dealing with some soreness but I expect that it'll be gone by this time next week.
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    Does it get to a point were your body gets accustomed to it and you dont get DOMs any more?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Just back off the intensity or volume. Every workout doesn't have to be so hard that u are destroyed for days. I wish I'd started following that advice much sooner

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Does it get to a point were your body gets accustomed to it and you dont get DOMs any more?

Yes ..but not completely...it is rare that I get DOMS now...I quite enjoy it when I do even though I know it's not actually a sign of a better workout
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Generally less DOMS when frequency is higher, but it depends on the volume of each session.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    TBH id say increases in performance are good enough results by themselves.
    Rather you on your diet than me.

I only had doms at the beginning (first week), if I want to i can destroy myself, but I much prefer to avoid that because im just as interested in recovery, avoiding injury and listening to my body about where the right level is.

I prefer to keep going to the gym on a regular basis becayse I dislike going backwards. If i restsart I take account of that and expect a fall off.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of taking progress pictures to see the differences since I cant seem to get past 200lbs on the dam scale

I wish had taken pictures. I cannot recommend this route strongly enough.

When you see yourself every day in the mirror, it can be difficult to notice the changes because its so gradual. Pictures are great. Definitely do it.

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I cant seem to get past 200lbs on the dam scale

Yeah, the scale can be a bit disheartening when you're lifting. There's a lot happening with water retention, but also, for newbies, you can gain some muscle while cutting the fat. You're basically recomping, and when that happens, the scale doesn't tell the whole story. Hence, pictures. Take them. You'll thank yourself later.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting on and off most of my life and solidly for the last 3 years or so...results are a continuum...a fitness body is derived from living a fitness lifestyle, not a few weeks in the gym.

pictures are a good idea...we look at ourselves every day...changes in body composition happen slowly over time so it's not always noticeable until you look at pictures. when you look at something every day, it always looks the same, even if there are changes.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you go hard for 6 months, trust me, not only you will notice but all your friends, your family and the guy passing by you on the street. Go a year and people will ask you how you did it, seek out your advice. Go two years and you will be in better shape than probably anyone you know. Slow and steady will transform you.
  • ghartleroad1
    ghartleroad1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Will add on - & ask a Q! After a year of almost exclusively cardio (to reach my goal weight) I stared weightlifting about 3 weeks ago. I already see changes in my arms, shoulders, upperback, quads, and maybe a tiny bit in my glutes. However, no change whatsoever in my belly! Do I need to be patient or am just missing something?