Stir Fry recipes that are savoury (not sweet OR spicy!)

Options
DrunkInAGolfCart
DrunkInAGolfCart Posts: 57 Member
I cook for myself and my mum and I'm still learning the ropes a bit. My mum is - and has always been a rubbish cook. She can ruin Two Minute Noodles seriously. Sorry mum!

I'm 28 now and due to mum having some health problems, I manage all our meals even though I'm quite a basic cook. I'm learning as I go. I've recently start cooking stir fry's. Low calorie and so filling. Only problem is mum HATES any sauce that is in the least bit sweet. But then she also can't have anything hot like chilli etc.

Currently I just use soy sauce and some herbs (coriander, garlic, parsley and paprika) but that will get old pretty fast. Would love some advice or recipes for some amazing stir fry sauces that aren't at all sweet or spicy. Any advice appreciated!

Replies

• Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Try adding some fresh ginger to your mix. You can get it ready to use in jars, just keep it on the fridge. Or try pasta sauce/pesto. Not very authentic, but healthy & tasty.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Oyster and fish sauce, curry paste, black bean sauce, or a non-sweetened peanut sauce.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I cook for myself and my mum and I'm still learning the ropes a bit. My mum is - and has always been a rubbish cook. She can ruin Two Minute Noodles seriously. Sorry mum!

I'm 28 now and due to mum having some health problems, I manage all our meals even though I'm quite a basic cook. I'm learning as I go. I've recently start cooking stir fry's. Low calorie and so filling. Only problem is mum HATES any sauce that is in the least bit sweet. But then she also can't have anything hot like chilli etc.

Currently I just use soy sauce and some herbs (coriander, garlic, parsley and paprika) but that will get old pretty fast. Would love some advice or recipes for some amazing stir fry sauces that aren't at all sweet or spicy. Any advice appreciated!

Well, I don't really stir fry but I do sauté a fair bit and depending on how technical your terms, that can be pretty similar.

In addition to the herbs you mention, I also use cumin, ginger and cilantro a lot. Have you tried shallots in dishes that don't contain other onions? How about finishing with citrus zest, or flavoring the oil with larger pieces of the peel. I've been avoiding soy sauce of late because of sodium and using worcestershire more.

I've recently discovered sardines make a nice addition. I get them packed in extra virgin olive oil and then cook them with their own oil. I imagine some of the omega3 is leeching into the packing oil and this way it isn't wasted.

I like using leftover brown rice and scrambling in an egg at the end.

I'm not to big on recipes for want of discipline but there a few ideas.