question on smoothies

Options
earndien
earndien Posts: 195 Member
i got a question about smoothies, were i am they not a big thing or milkshakes
i found out about 2 month ago i am gluten intolerance
and getting bored with my food
i want to try making smoothies, pinterest got a few good ideas on different smoothis
i am just wondering are smoothies 1 a replacement meal?
2 can i have them between meals like a snack
3 what the best, milk, soya milk, coconut milk (coconut milk cant get in my area)
thanks

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    You can use them as a meal replacement if you make sure to get some protein in them. This can be in the form of greek yogurt or peanut butter, for example. So if you freeze a banana and put it in the food processor with a tbsp of peanut butter and a half cup of greek yogurt, and about a half cup of milk, that'll have fruit, protein, and dairy all at once and can be a decent breakfast. Personally I use regular cow's milk. Soy does not agree with me and coconut milk is too expensive.
  • linzi02
    linzi02 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies! Sometimes I will have them as a replacement for breakfast or a snack between meals, but personally I wouldn't have a smoothie to replace lunch or dinner. I use all kinds of milk with my smoothies, almond milk, cow's milk, coconut milk or even apple juice, orange juice or water. All depends on what kind of smoothie I'm making. Try experimenting and see what you like best :)
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You can use them as a meal replacement or snack, whichever. Like gothchiq said, though, be sure you add enough protein if you're making a meal replacement. I usually add 1 scoop of protein powder to mine, in addition to yogurt and [sometimes] peanut butter (depending on my flavor choice of the day). Frozen bags of berries are convenient, although you can find cheap fruit in the produce section and freeze it yourself to use later. I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my smoothies/shakes. I haven't found an unsweetened coconut milk in my area yet but I also haven't been looking very hard b/c almond milk is pretty cheap.