The 40's slow down

2»

Replies

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Yes but it wasn't because of my age it was because I was eating too much and drinking a lot of beer.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Yes but it wasn't because of my age it was because I was eating too much and drinking a lot of beer.

Totally agree. I have more available to me at 40 than I did in my earlier years :)

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    There's a "slowdown"?

(46 here )
  • lynseymccormac
    lynseymccormac Posts: 2 Member
    yes! i did. Its awful and soul destroying when you are trying so hard. people would look at me like i just wasn't trying hard enough but I knew that I was and it just wasn't budging.
    It turned out i had a sugar intolerance and following a low fat diet wasn't working for me no matter how hard i tried. I would exercise but because of the intolerance I never had enough energy to sustain a beneficial workout so i would just maintain no matter what i did.
    It was my trainer who suggested I might have a problem and she adjusted the nutritional percentage so that i was eating a lot less sugar, more protein to build muscle. After 40, you start to lose muscle, muscle helps to burn fat and keep your metabolic rate up. Do some weight training. My trainer focuses a lot on weight training with me because of my age and it really helps. Also, as you know things start to go south after forty, weight training gives your body, definition and shape.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    I am 42 and have not had any problem losing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    yes! i did. Its awful and soul destroying when you are trying so hard. people would look at me like i just wasn't trying hard enough but I knew that I was and it just wasn't budging.
    It turned out i had a sugar intolerance and following a low fat diet wasn't working for me no matter how hard i tried. I would exercise but because of the intolerance I never had enough energy to sustain a beneficial workout so i would just maintain no matter what i did.
    It was my trainer who suggested I might have a problem and she adjusted the nutritional percentage so that i was eating a lot less sugar, more protein to build muscle. After 40, you start to lose muscle, muscle helps to burn fat and keep your metabolic rate up. Do some weight training. My trainer focuses a lot on weight training with me because of my age and it really helps. Also, as you know things start to go south after forty, weight training gives your body, definition and shape.

You had a what now?

Were you medically tested? What was the Dx?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    I was pretty much a slacker in my 40s. I'm doing much better in my 50s.