Best way to prep large amounts of food?

Options
Riz72
Riz72 Posts: 67 Member
So starting September 1st, I will be changing my workouts and diet to put on as much muscle as I can for the next few months. Naturally, my higher calorie intake will mean I will have to eat a lot more... clean eating though will be the challenge.

What do you do to help prep your daily lunches etc? Do you just spend one day cooking for the rest of the week?

Would love to have a bunch of tips handy that I can utilize come Sept 1.

Replies

• nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I usually do all my cooking on Sunday afternoon. The kitchen only has to be cleaned once and my weekday evenings are much less hectic.
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I do mine on sunday too, and if I dont want to prep for a whole week or have a reason I dont want to have a weeks worth of food I split it into a Sunday and Wednesday.

Good luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    usually, I did that. now I just keep healthy food in the house and I have a schedule in the morning so I get it all put together in about ten min with weighing food

you could also pre-portion food, uncooked. so you can decide what you want for the day.

slow cookers are your friend
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    oh and I do lunches and sometimes dinner but also snacks ect.

I normally have enough time in the morning to do a quick breakfast!
  • Riz72
    Riz72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What about for the vegetables and all that stuff... just pre cut and freeze them?
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Don't freeze your veg, unless you're cooking them later.
  • jdevine12
    jdevine12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go shopping on Sunday's. I clean, cut and prep everything then. Even if I don't make complete meals, I get everything ready to use to make it easier on myself. Also, I make 5 Tupperware containers of oatmeal, protein powder and almonds with cinnamon ... Because there's no chance I even have 2 seconds to spare in the morning! Pemade snacks are helpful also
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I make soups, stews, chilis, flavored beans, burritos, nuggets, egg bakes/frittatas, casseroles, meat loaves, burgers, muffin tin recipes, stuffed peppers, etc and freeze them all in single sized portions so I have a variety. I can make maybe 2-4 recipes per weekend and keep adding to my freezer stash.

I also portion and bag things like cauliflower rice, regular rice, cooked pasta, and cooked meats to freeze.

I don't like the obligation to eat something within the week, so I freeze to give myself 3 months.
  • lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do all my prep for the week on Sunday. The best thing I've found is, whatever you can cook in the oven, do it! When I found out how to cook chicken in bulk in the oven, it was god-sent! It slashed my prep time in half. All my prepped veggies stay fresh in the fridge all week, as long as they are in a good, sealed container.
  • kryss247
    kryss247 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Meal prep Sunday :)
    Favorite day of the week! Turn on some music and get to cooking :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
  • Queenmunchy
    Options