*Before and After* 5"0 and 42lbs down!

Options
2»

Replies

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    We are all amazing! !!!!!! I've gone from 11st 10 lbs to 9 stone 7lbs. .....can't lose the last 10 lbs though. ...been stuck for 8 weeks lol..but had shoulder surgery. Getting back into exercise next week. .....you all inspire me. Thank you all :wink:
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    RV_08 wrote: »
    RTH65 wrote: »
    You look amazing!! I know everyone asks this question but what did you do to get to a size 8/10? Particularly in terms of nutrition, did you go low carb or just watch portion sizes? And what type of exercises did you do? Sorry so many Qs but I'm just starting out and need a little bit of help :(

No worries, i'm happy to help. A combination of all:

Nutrition - low carb. I replaced white rice (being Filipino this was a challenge as it's a staple food for us!) with veg or salad. Next to no pasta and if bread then brown or wholemeal. Lots of fruit. Cut out most processed foods. Only drinking water no fizzy drinks or juice. Keeping alcohol to a minimum.
    Portion sizes - smaller than before and making sure I only eat until i'm satisfied and not hungry anymore, not until I feel sick
    Exercise - 5-6 times a week for an hour to hour and a half. A mixture of cardio and weights. I do plyo box jumps, skipping and once hated running but when I started that, the lbs fell off so now I love it.

Also if I was craving something bad I would have it but in moderation. Restricting yourself from everything will drive you crazy.

Good sleep is important too. It sets you up for the day in terms of having the energy to work out and being able to control your diet. Being tired demotivates you from exercise and encourages you to reach for the sugary treats for an energy boost.

I hope that helps! :blush:

First off, congrats to you! You look amazing! Secondly, I love the combination of advice you give above as it is exactly the advice I would give if I was asked. I am also down 42 pounds and our body shapes before and after were very similar. Although I am twice your age ;) and I am 5'3".

• RV_08
    RV_08 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! I know everyone asks this question but what did you do to get to a size 8/10? Particularly in terms of nutrition, did you go low carb or just watch portion sizes? And what type of exercises did you do? Sorry so many Qs but I'm just starting out and need a little bit of help :(

Nutrition - low carb. I replaced white rice (being Filipino this was a challenge as it's a staple food for us!) with veg or salad. Next to no pasta and if bread then brown or wholemeal. Lots of fruit. Cut out most processed foods. Only drinking water no fizzy drinks or juice. Keeping alcohol to a minimum.
    Portion sizes - smaller than before and making sure I only eat until i'm satisfied and not hungry anymore, not until I feel sick
    Exercise - 5-6 times a week for an hour to hour and a half. A mixture of cardio and weights. I do plyo box jumps, skipping and once hated running but when I started that, the lbs fell off so now I love it.

Also if I was craving something bad I would have it but in moderation. Restricting yourself from everything will drive you crazy.

Good sleep is important too. It sets you up for the day in terms of having the energy to work out and being able to control your diet. Being tired demotivates you from exercise and encourages you to reach for the sugary treats for an energy boost.

First off, congrats to you! You look amazing! Secondly, I love the combination of advice you give above as it is exactly the advice I would give if I was asked. I am also down 42 pounds and our body shapes before and after were very similar. Although I am twice your age ;) and I am 5'3".

Thanks so much and great to hear you have made some great progress too! Very inspirational that someone twice my age can also drop 42lbs! There is hope that if I maintain I can be just as it as you. Well done!
  • CarobChip108
    CarobChip108 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We have very similar stats! What was your calorie goal during the 12 month process? Did you increase/decrease anywhere along the line?
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Thanks so much and great to hear you have made some great progress too! Very inspirational that someone twice my age can also drop 42lbs! There is hope that if I maintain I can be just as it as you. Well done!

I am 68 and have lost 42 lbs by CICO. Basically the same as you did. It may have taken me a little longer, but it can be done.
  • MarietjieHoward
    MarietjieHoward Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Great job hun!!!!, you look fantastic.
    May I ask why it took you a year to loose 42 pounds, just curious because it is exactly the amount I need to loose, and I am down 16lbs in 46 days. A year is a long time and I hoped to do it in 5 to 6 months at the most. How much did you loose in a week. :)
    I take my hat of for you sticking to a diet for a whole year, that is an achievement in its own.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am not the poster but it took me over 3 years to lose 60 poundsso that's about 20 pounds per year. It is harder for short people. I am 4'10" and 52 years old.
  • rdrettig1
    rdrettig1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Great job!
  • mariazm_840
    mariazm_840 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Looking great dear.

Please share with us your diet plan. I was 77.4 and now 64.4. Lost almost 14 kgs and need to lose 10 kgs asap.
  • misschiggie123
    misschiggie123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Its especially good to see some of the short girls ( im 5"2
  • RV_08
    Options
    We have very similar stats! What was your calorie goal during the 12 month process? Did you increase/decrease anywhere along the line?

Hi! Calorie goal was 1200. I tried to stick to it as much as possible but within reason. It wasn't realistic for me to stick to it everyday so sometimes I would go over, but I would make sure I just worked extra hard at the gym to compensate. If I did go over, it would only be by 500+ max - I didn't go crazy.
  • RV_08
    Options
    Great job hun!!!!, you look fantastic.
    May I ask why it took you a year to loose 42 pounds, just curious because it is exactly the amount I need to loose, and I am down 16lbs in 46 days. A year is a long time and I hoped to do it in 5 to 6 months at the most. How much did you loose in a week. :)
    I take my hat of for you sticking to a diet for a whole year, that is an achievement in its own.

Hi, thanks so much for your comments :smile: My loss varied actually. There was a point in the beginning I was dropping like 1-2 lbs consistently but then it seemed to slow down the more weight I lost. Sometimes there would be weeks I wouldn't have dropped anything, despite my hard work with diet and exercise which was really frustrating, but then just like that I would again start loosing lbs. Also there would be days that I would go up in weight and then next day drop again. Really strange but I think you just got to keep going and don't get put off!

It probably took me so long because I wasn't eating 100% completely healthy all the time. I wanted this to 'journey' to be realistic as in I wanted to make sure I could maintain this lifestyle of good eating, treating myself here and there and exercise for the foreseeable future. I think if you lose the weight over a longer period of time, it's easier for you to maintain in the long run. Everyone is different though so maybe you'll be able to do it in 6 months - I hope so, good luck and I hope you reach your goal!
  • RV_08
    Options
    gaylynn35 wrote: »
    I am not the poster but it took me over 3 years to lose 60 poundsso that's about 20 pounds per year. It is harder for short people. I am 4'10" and 52 years old.

I agree! It may not always be harder but I think it's just more noticeable when us shorties have more weight on! Our proportions look out of control!
  • RV_08
    Options
    Looking great dear.

Please share with us your diet plan. I was 77.4 and now 64.4. Lost almost 14 kgs and need to lose 10 kgs asap.

Hi, thanks. In terms of diet plan. I didn't really have one. Pre-cooking every meal for a whole week and weighing my food isn't me so I just I tried to stick to approx 1200 calories each day. That could contain anything but obviously to be able to stick within that without eating just a chocolate bar and a sandwich in 24 hours you'd have to eat lower calorie foods so for example, brown carbs, salads, lots of fruit and veg etc. Cut out sugar too! It can help a lot.
  • RV_08
    Options
    You look amazing! Its especially good to see some of the short girls ( im 5"2

• deescrafty
    deescrafty Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!