The science of skipping breakfast - WaPo

Options
jemhh
jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
This Washington Post article/blog entry about how the idea that skipping breakfast causes weight gain was written into the US dietary guidelines came across my feed today. It's an interesting read. This really stood out to me:
Allison attributes the widespread adoption of the breakfast hypothesis at least in part on researchers who read too much into observational studies, and wrongly ignore the stronger evidence from the randomized controlled trials. In addition, he speculates that there “maybe some sense that eating breakfast is ‘moral’ and ‘upstanding,’” and that makes people more willing to believe it’s good for you.

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    But breakfast is like the best meal, ever! Why would anyone ever want to skip it?
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    But breakfast is like the best meal, ever! Why would anyone ever want to skip it?

Yes, this!
  • pmaia
    pmaia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I believe in breakfast, but you do not need to eat it when you first get up. That makes for a long day of eating. I usually eat breakfast 2 hrs after I get up.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Because many people find it far more satisfying to eat less often but bigger meals. Any time I eat in a calorie deficit, I eat all of my calories between 4pm and midnight. I have skipped breakfast for years. I would simply rather have more calories later in the day. In reality, breakfast is irrelevant as far as weight loss is concerned. It's totally about calories in vs out, not the time of day you consume them. If eating a breakfast helps you stick to your calorie deficit, than by all means, eat breakfast. If you are like me (and just about anyone else who does intermittent fasting), you might find skipping breakfast is actually the key to sticking to your deficit.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    To leave more room for second breakfast? Or both for a really big elevensies?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

If I have second breakfast at 10am without a first breakfast, is it still second breakfast? Is this a dinner/supper thing?!
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Because many people find it far more satisfying to eat less often but bigger meals. Any time I eat in a calorie deficit, I eat all of my calories between 4pm and midnight. I have skipped breakfast for years. I would simply rather have more calories later in the day. In reality, breakfast is irrelevant as far as weight loss is concerned. It's totally about calories in vs out, not the time of day you consume them. If eating a breakfast helps you stick to your calorie deficit, than by all means, eat breakfast. If you are like me (and just about anyone else who does intermittent fasting), you might find skipping breakfast is actually the key to sticking to your deficit.

It wasn't really a serious question... I'm well aware of why people choose it, and that's their choice. But....bacon.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Breakfast is my favorite meal so I tend to eat a bigger one. But my daughter barely eats anything for breakfast (maybe 2 T of yogurt and a handful of berries.) Neither of us are wrong. We're doing what works best for us.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

I prefer breakfast before my second breakfast. I'll eat all the times.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    No thanks to breakfast as in eating first thing in the morning, but if you're talking omelets for dinner....I'm in.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

It wasn't really a serious question... I'm well aware of why people choose it, and that's their choice. But....bacon.
    Which is why I'm doing breakfast for dinner tomorrow night. Although it will likely be smoked ham instead of bacon because in the transit of bringing frozen smoked foods home from Dallas, the ham thawed. :#
  • jemhh
    Options
    Breakfast for dinner is the best. Yum. My husband is not a big fan so we don't have it often. When he's out of town, the #1 meal my daughter requests for dinner is waffles and bacon and strawberry sauce.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is why God created Brinner....and it was good.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Let's not forget luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, and supper.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This is why God created Brinner....and it was good.

True dat
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

If I have second breakfast at 10am without a first breakfast, is it still second breakfast? Is this a dinner/supper thing?!

Meals are as follows:
    Breakfast
    Second breakfast
    Elevensies
    Lunch
    Afternoon tea
    Supper
    Dinner

If you miss one, you can make it up or not. If you skip breakfast and eat lunch for your first meal of the day, you don't rename lunch as breakfast, do you?!!

:p

• Kandis29
    Kandis29 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I work second shift, so my "breakfast" is more lunch, and it works well for me.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

I don't eat breakfast either otherwise I find that I am starving all day and I am not hungry until 11am or so anyway. You make up for it by having Brinner. I don't know why people think breakfast foods are confined to the morning. Silly!!!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Great, now I'm stuck at work and craving eggs and bacon.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Great, now I'm stuck at work and craving eggs and bacon.

right?!?!?! I got waffles on the brain now.