I've lost 10 pounds in a month. Should I be concerned?

Options
I only ask because while for the most part I've been eating healthy (my diary is open, see for yourself) my exercise pattern has been sporadic. I probably exercised 6 to 8 times for the month of July. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    As you begin losing weight, a lot of water comes off at the beginning. I think you'll be safe. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open. If this is your first month it's fine, as many people tend to lose a lot of water weight when they start out. If it isn't, then you probably need to lower your deficit or work on hitting your calorie goal a little better.
  • sunshinealways
    sunshinealways Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    10lbs is wonderful. That is about 2.5lbs a week. Perfect. Be ecstatic an keep it up.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in a month is about 2.5 lbs a week-- which, as others have said, may be a lot of water weight in the beginning. I'd suspect you'll slow down a bit--so don't be disappointed if that happens!
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yup that's why most people lose a lot at first. Now you can go for your target of .5 or 1 or 1.5 or 2 lbs a week which will go through a flexibility loss for a bit until you balance your cico
  • darcelchoy
    darcelchoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses guys. Malibu, I thought it was, my apologies. This is my fifth month. The first month I lost 8, second 3, third 4, fourth, 10. Hence my concern
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    WTG on your loss! Sounds like you got your first whoosh! I wouldn't be too concerned, it will all even out over time.http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/
  • smtaylo85
    smtaylo85 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    10 pounds a month is a good and safe number.
  • sonirupa28hotmail132
    Options
    That's so good it's my 40 days and I have not manage to lose any pounds i am vegetarian I do working and do gym please advice me what can I do though I am suffering from thyroid but it's under control.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    That's so good it's my 40 days and I have not manage to lose any pounds i am vegetarian I do working and do gym please advice me what can I do though I am suffering from thyroid but it's under control.

Start a thread and you'll get the needed answers.
  • darcelchoy
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was really worried. You've made me feel a lot better.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    darcelchoy wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses guys. Malibu, I thought it was, my apologies. This is my fifth month. The first month I lost 8, second 3, third 4, fourth, 10. Hence my concern

That's an average of about 6 pounds a month, or just under 1.5 pounds a week. If that is your target, then I wouldn't worry. If you lose 10 pounds next month, too, then I would be more concerned.

Congratulations on your progress!
  • darcelchoy
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    darcelchoy wrote: »

That's an average of about 6 pounds a month, or just under 1.5 pounds a week. If that is your target, then I wouldn't worry. If you lose 10 pounds next month, too, then I would be more concerned.

Congratulations on your progress!

Thank you so much!
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome, and great job on your progress. Only thing I would say is, your profile says you have 30 more to lose, and to me (and this is just my opinion), I wouldn't want to keep up that pace, as you are getting closer to your goal. 1) You want to make sure you aren't losing too much lbm along with the fat. 2) You don't know for sure how your skin will react (elasticity) if you continue to lose that fast. And 3) (and again this is just my opinion), I think the process of weight loss in general is stressful on the body, and so I wouldn't want to do it to an extreme for too long.

Mind you, a lot of people here will disagree with me, and there are a lot of people here more knowledgeable than me on these subjects. Where those two groups would fall on a Venn diagram, I am not sure. But either way, congrats on your great progress so far. B)