Exercising with children?

Options
2»

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Exercise during lunch hour. If you don't take lunch, start.
  • yecatsmn
    yecatsmn Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bikini Body Mommy! I've been doing it and it's amazing for time! 10-20 minute workouts all designed to be at home. You choose what you want on cardio days, but she shows you a 20 minute HIIT cardio. All you need are weights for some of her work outs. I've lost close to 15 lbs on it so far and i'm on day 45 (of 90 days). I highly recommend it. I'm at home with my 9 month old so this is perfect for those of us with little ones.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I bought a treadmill and put it in my room. I get up before they're awake and run for 40 minutes.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I actually have used my kids as exercise equipment and they LOVE it. I will let my 7-year-old hang on my back while I do push ups and squats... When my little one was 12 months I would lay him on the ground and do burpees over him and blow a raspberry on his stomach as I did a push up. And then when he was crawling I would bear crawl and chase him.... The possibilities are endless.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    kvansteen wrote: »
    I walked with my youngest in the mei tie and older in the stroller. Also bikini body mommy has great 20 minute hiit exercises. Also breastfeeding is great if you can.

He is the dad.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Its not clear from your post whether you're getting any exercise in during the week. If you are, I wouldn't sweat the weekends. Or invest in a double jogging stroller, but just walk with it for now. Many have adapters for car seats so that infants can go along. I'm a big proponent of spending free time engaging with kids, but that doesn't mean you can't all benefit from a quiet 45 minute walk. Also, your kids are young enough that they are both likely still napping. I hit the gym weekends during naptime.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Scubdup wrote: »
    I am out at 6:30 am, back at 7:30pm during the week, and then spend my weekends with our 14 month and 1 month old sons.

Does any parents out there have tips on how to fit exercise around young children?

Thanks a lot for any advice, pointers, or suggestions.

While I don't have children that young, do you have to take them to daycare in the morning? I work from 7 am to 7 pm and still get my workout in be at the gym at 5 am when they open.

• watsonmisty66
    watsonmisty66 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wait until Dad gets home. They are always so excited to see him when he 1st gets home, they don't mind so much when I slip out. I try to get up before he goes to work but that doesn't always happen. I like my sleep lol
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    As they grow and you're bench pressing them, this will definitely be progressive resistance training.

On a serious note: When my DD was a baby, I walked the mall with the stroller for an hour or more at a time. I did strength training while she slept. As they get older, playing physically with them is great. You'll get worn out before they do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

All of this.

I have a 2.5yo and a 1.5yo. My workouts coincide with their naps/bedtime.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I get up between 4:30 and 5:00, work out, wake up my kids, and am usually out the door by 7. That's what works for me. My husband is up at 4 to be at the gym when it opens at 5.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    All great advice. Even walking a fussy baby ups your step count, and lifting your older one or playing tag is great. They love being chased! Family walks in the evening, even 10 minutes, gets everyone outside in the fresh air. Just add in a few little things at a time, and enjoy the now. My baby is almost 4 - enjoy your littles!!!!!!!!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    We have three (7, 5, 1) and work out with them whenever possible. We do calisthenics every morning and motivate one another to do more. We keep records on a chart and give out paper plate awards every week with confetti and champagne poppers.

I benchpress, armcurl, etc. the kids - just be ready for baby drool. Kids make for great makeshift weights.

I don't do time outs - I do push ups when I need to correct behavior. Not only does this promote good health, but provides a reset opportunity. Quite often once they are done with the set they are more mellow (and exhausted).

We also go on night bike rides with flashing lights equipped as we "patrol" the neighborhood. Have a trailer for the baby.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I cycle and I just bought one of these for my eldest as it was becoming increasingly difficult to tow him and his little brother in the regular bike trailer....

we're off on a 50 mile ride this weekend...

53865569e573e.preview-620.jpg