Sausage gravy?

Options
Meganthedogmom
Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
Anyone have a recipe for sausage gravy that both has plenty of good flavor, and isn't ridiculously high in calories? I am not from the south, I only live here, so I've never made sausage gravy before and I don't want to screw it up! It will be going on biscuits, by the way.

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My recipe= can of country gravy + pound of sausage. My daughter's favorite breakfast.
    I think the kind I use is libbys.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    I don't do much canned food, I was looking for a recipe from scratch. Thank you though.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How about this? http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/biscuits-sausage-gravy/

I've also never eaten or made sausage gravy (from New England!) so I can't attest to it lol.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You can swap pork sausage with turkey sausage. You can up the flavor by creating a fond when pan frying sausage, though when released that might deepen the color of the gravy.
    Gravy's are usually made from a base of a roux of flour and fat. I wouldn't mess with that ratio to cut calories or you might end up with an inedible mess. I'd cut calories by swapping for a less fatty sausage (like turkey sausage) and going for a lower calorie option for the biscuits.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    You can swap pork sausage with turkey sausage. You can up the flavor by creating a fond when pan frying sausage, though when released that might deepen the color of the gravy.
    Gravy's are usually made from a base of a roux of flour and fat. I wouldn't mess with that ratio to cut calories or you might end up with an inedible mess. I'd cut calories by swapping for a less fatty sausage (like turkey sausage) and going for a lower calorie option for the biscuits.
    Ratio generally 1 Tbsp fat: 1 Tbsp flour: 1 cup liquid. Wisk cold liquid into hot roux. If you're cooking typical country sausage you might have to pour off some of the fat. If you're cooking lean ground turkey or pork, you might have to add, say olive oil, which has the same # of calories but probably healthier. You can also effect calories with the milkfat %.

Generally though, my unsolicited advice is, if you need to cut calories, skip biscuits and gravy altogether. Much as I love it, that's what I've done.

By the way, looking at the recipe and picture in Queenmunchy's link, I can only assume that is "New England" sausage gravy. "New England" should be spoken like "New York City" in the Pace salsa commercials. :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »

By the way, looking at the recipe and picture in Queenmunchy's link, I can only assume that is "New England" sausage gravy. "New England" should be spoken like "New York City" in the Pace salsa commercials. :)

LOL, I gave a disclaimer, but I believe she's Canadian ;)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Ratio generally 1 Tbsp fat: 1 Tbsp flour: 1 cup liquid. Wisk cold liquid into hot roux. If you're cooking typical country sausage you might have to pour off some of the fat. If you're cooking lean ground turkey or pork, you might have to add, say olive oil, which has the same # of calories but probably healthier. You can also effect calories with the milkfat %.

Generally though, my unsolicited advice is, if you need to cut calories, skip biscuits and gravy altogether. Much as I love it, that's what I've done.

I forgot about milkfat, using skim for the liquid would save quite a few calories.

Rather than skip biscuits and gravy altogether though, you could just have a reduced portion, which is easier if you've been reducing intake already for a while.
    I went to Cracker Barrel a few weeks ago with hubs who wanted biscuits and gravy in fact, and it didn't take much to quell the craving and feel full, I only ate like a 1/3 of what was served on my plate. Though their gravy was somewhat disappointing (and I believe this is a bottomless menu item) so that certainly helped too. :)

• OldHobo
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Here's an important tip I forgot. After adding the liquid bring to a full boil, stirring constantly, then immediately turn down the heat or remove the pan. Otherwise, milk will boil over and maybe catch fire.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    To decrease fat and increase flavor: Use a lower fat sausage. After frying, drain the sausage on a paper towel to absorb excess fat. Chop the sausage in tiny bits in your food processor s to increase the number of sausage bits that touch and sensate your tongue. Pour out all but 1 tbsp of fat in the pan. Add 1 tbsp of flour. Cook until all of the fat is absorbed and the flour turns a nice tan color. Whisk liquid in a bit at a time. Put sausage bits back in pan. Stir constantly while cooking until it boils just a little. Taste to see if flour is cooked. Season with pepper when done and pour over biscuits, waffles, toast, etc.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!! I got some really good tips here. Now at least I know where to start.

Personally I can only do something heavy like biscuits and gravy once in a great while, because it just makes me want a nap about an hour later. But my dude has been begging me to make it for him for months, so I'm going to try this weekend.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This may be considered heretical, but try this vegetarian version: http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Food/Stir-It-Up/2013/1021/Meatless-Monday-Biscuits-and-vegetarian-red-eye-gravy

I think it's terrific, although I'm from NY, so YMMV :p
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I was born and raise in the south and love biscuits and sausage gravy. Its my family's favorite breakfast. I usually make it about once a month and its so good!

Here's how I do mine. It's only 4 ingredients, plus salt & pepper.

One roll of Jimmy dean sausage
    3 tablespoons of all purpose flour
    3 cups water (maybe more, I usually eyeball it)
    1 cup skim milk (that is what we always have in the fridge)
    salt & pepper to taste.

Brown sausage gravy in skillet. Add flour. Stir flour in with the sausage and the sausage drippings. Allow the flour to brown and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. (this is really important to "cook" the flour long enough, otherwise it will taste doughy). Add water 1 cup at a time, whisking as you add. It will turn to a paste, but keep adding water and it will start looking more like a gravy. I let this thicken and bubble for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. I then add about a cup of milk, salt and pepper and let simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.

I had the recipe calculated to 8 servings. Our family of 4 usually has enough to have 2nds. It came out to 172 calories per serving.

Hubby's birthday is this weekend, so this will be on his birthday menu. yum! I hope you guys enjoy your biscuits and gravy! :)

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    real sausage, butter, white flour, milk. There's no substitution. I make bomb biscuits and gravy, but only do it about three times a year - hubby's diet doesn't allow it!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    Thank you both! I like simple recipes - the fewer ingredients, the better :) definitely going to try this weekend!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    If you're not opposed to the additives that give it extra body, fat free half & half will give your gravy a much nicer mouth feel than skim milk.
  • kdanai12
    kdanai12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've also seen some faux roux made with puréed white beans - for added body and no extra fat.
  • Brrrite
    Brrrite Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Here is a recipe I came up with and it is amazing! The zucchinni made it taste super creamy and the biscuits look beautiful :)
    Zucchini Biscuits
    Makes 12
    2 c. All-purpose Flour
    1 tsp. Sugar
    1 tsp. Salt
    1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
    1 c. (Lightly packed) shredded zucchini
    1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter
    1/4 c. Milk (more or less for correct consistency)
    Mix the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder together. Cut in the butter. (I like to shred the butter into the flour mix using a cheese grater)
    Add the zucchini and just enough milk so it holds together. Press out on counter to about 1/2 in. thick and cut biscuits. Bake at 425* for 12-15 min.

Sausage and Zucchini Gravy
    1/2 lb. Pork sausage
    1 c. Shredded zucchini (lightly packed)
    1/3 c. All-purpose Flour
    3 c. Milk (more or less)
    Red pepper flakes
    Salt and lots of pepper
    Fry the sausage until well browned. Add the zucchini and saute' until softened and drain most of the fat. Sprinkle the flour right over the meat and cook for 1 to 2 min. on medium low heat. Slowly whisk in the milk and let come to a boil to thicken. Add more or less milk to your desired thickness and add seasonings to your taste!
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There is no way to make proper gravy healthier. Here is the good Texan way:

Make a roux with a little bacon grease and flour. If you don't know how to make a roux, look it up, it's an important life skill. When you have a smooth rue, very slowly add a little milk at a time stirring constantly until you get your desired consistency. Add your precooked sausage (most gravy purists think this is blasphemy but I like it too).

I saw mention of making gravy with water. Just no.

• OldHobo
    Options
    There is no way to make proper gravy healthier. Here is the good Texan way:

Make a roux with a little bacon grease and flour. If you don't know how to make a roux, look it up, it's an important life skill. When you have a smooth rue, very slowly add a little milk at a time stirring constantly until you get your desired consistency. Add your precooked sausage (most gravy purists think this is blasphemy but I like it too).

I saw mention of making gravy with water. Just no.
    Goose got it about right. You need some some milk in there, but I'm not gonna complain if you used half milk and half pork stock. Wait, what? You don't have any pork stock? Just save the leftover juice from your next pot pot of neck bones.