Binging is sabotaging me-looking for support

Options
I really struggle with binge eating and it has been destroying my hard work. I have been exercising and eating healthy, but I don't know why it's so hard for me to stop binging. Any support would be appreciated.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Are you being too restrictive with your diet? Many people I talk to who have difficulty with binging are depriving themselves of the foods they really love, eating only things they classify as "healthy" or "clean" and/or eating far too little (1200 calories or less). None of those things are required for weight loss and any or all of them can make someone very unhappy and if you're unhappy, you're not bound to stick with anything for long. While it's not one size fits all, most people do better eating at a moderate deficit and allowing small portions of the foods they like.
  • No_more_yoyo
    No_more_yoyo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been aiming for 1500 per day which seems appropriate for my fitness level, so I don't think it's that. It's like when I feel badly about myself I eat and then feel worse
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have been aiming for 1500 per day which seems appropriate for my fitness level, so I don't think it's that. It's like when I feel badly about myself I eat and then feel worse

Gotcha, it's the emotional thing. Perhaps what you need to identify is your triggers. What makes you feel bad about yourself and why? For many people, being overweight is all tied up with their emotions. Some turn to food to make themselves feel better, for whatever reason. A lot of it is tied into the past.

Food is not comfort, it's fuel. It's an important distinction. Especially when you get stuck in a cycle of "I feel bad so I want to eat food that makes me happy." And then shortly after "I FAILED on my diet, now I feel even worse."

There are a few things you can do to try to break the cycle:
    1. Find something else that makes you happy besides food and do that instead. Call a friend, ride a bike, go for a walk, get a pedicure....
    2. Get rid of the foods you binge on and don't buy more. If it's not in the house, you can't eat it. If there are foods that trigger binges never buy more than a single serving at a time. If you want it, you'll need to leave the house to buy it. That's less likely to happen.
    3. Recognize when you feel the urge to binge and you stave it off. Reward yourself with non-food item, even if it's just a pat on the back.
    4. When you do backslide (and you probably will at least once) do not beat yourself up. Recognize what caused it, forgive yourself and move on. Hopefully, the next time you find yourself in the same situation you can recognize it in time to avert it.
  • No_more_yoyo
    No_more_yoyo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to give me these very helpful hints. I will definitely try the things you mention- especially not buying the foods. I think a big thing is that if I don't have it I won't eat it. I really appreciate your support!
  • katie3403
    katie3403 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been there.. I struggle with the same issues. I get stressed then stuff everything I can find. But I used the same steps as mentioned above. I dont keep foods I run to when I binge in my house. You can do this.. I havent binged in awhile. Some days have been a struggle but I try and change my thought process. I clean or I listen to music. Find what works for you.
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm like that too! I hate to say it, but what worked for me is cutting a much of the triggers out as I could. Cut "friends" got rid of Facebook and only check it periodically...make my environment about joy as much as I could.