ready to give up

Options
I've been working on my body.. going to the gym and eating right for two years and i weigh the most i've ever weighed and can't lose an ounce.. so frustrated.. i hate wearing a bikini :/ why is nothing changing? I lift heavy and eat healthy.. is it possible i'm not eating enough?

Replies

• rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That is possible. I know I had to up my calories significantly to meet the demands of my workouts.
  • crys_vb
    crys_vb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    rdlewis123 wrote: »
    That is possible. I know I had to up my calories significantly to meet the demands of my workouts.

When i was starting to work out i was eating whatever i wanted and i lost weight now i have been trying to lose weight and eating less than i ever have and i feel like my body is holding on to everything i put in my mouth
  • rdlewis123
    Options
    How many calories are you taking in?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How much are you trying to lose?
  • rdlewis123
    Options
    I'm 49 YO, starting weight 208 at 5'4". I'm now at 152. I began my journey using weight watchers points and did well. But when I started weight training I had to switch to calorie counting because I was starving to death. My trainer helped me calculate calories and I'm at 1800-2000 calories a day depending on my workout. I pair my Fitbit with MFP and I RARELY eat my exercise calories. My weight loss has slowed since I'm down to my last 5-7 pounds. I'm happy these days with a fractional weight loss. I'm more concerned with my body fat percentage than actual weight.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Try changing up your routine. Try out a new sport, join a softball team, play some basketball, try out boxing or martial arts, etc. Make it fun. Figure out your TDEE and eat around 20% less than that and eat a little more on days you exercise. Could be you just need to change things up, not only for your body, but for your mind as well so it becomes fun again.

BTW you look pretty good in your profile pic, you can't be that much overweight.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Are you already at a healthy weight? Maybe you need to look at recomp rather than weight loss.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

There are plenty of threads around about recomp. Look for some of the comparison pictures of other women - some of them weight MORE but are leaner and smaller. It's not just about the number on the scale.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy has very little to do with losing weight...eating in a calorie deficit does
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. Eating healthy has nothing to do with it. If you are not losing weight, you are not in a calorie deficit. Eating MORE is not going to accomplish that.
  • crys_vb
    Options
    Agree with above. Eating healthy has nothing to do with it. If you are not losing weight, you are not in a calorie deficit. Eating MORE is not going to accomplish that.
    I eat less than 1200 cals a day usually
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    That is not possible. Are you weighing your food in grams? Choosing the correct USDA entries in the database? Unless you are a child and weigh in the 80s, you are not failing to lose weight at under 1200 calories.
  • crys_vb
    Options
    So i'm 5' 109 pounds ..23 years old - i usually eat about 1200 cals a day and i lift heavy, i can easily burn 600-700 cals in a session

I feel like i need to be eating more? My legs are HUGE and full of cellulite even though i can feel solid muscle under the fat, i'm embarrassed to be in a bikini just because my legs are huge and not taking shape like i want them to
  • bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What are your cortisol/stress level and sleep pattern? Try apple cider vinegar daily.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How are you tracking your exercise calories? That's a huge burn for someone so light. And are you eating back your exercise calories? How are you fueling such intense workouts when you're eating under 1200 calories?

Given that you're already at 109 lbs and at the lower end of a healthy BMI for your height, I really doubt your legs are objectively huge. I think you'd benefit from recomp and looking at body fat percentage as opposed to lbs.

Also, keep in mind that even very thin and lean women have cellulite. It may always be present to a certain extent.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    You're just spinning your wheels if you're really eating that little and lifting heavy. You need to eat more before you burn out. We can't see your diary. You can try upping calories and switching up your macros... but, how much are you trying to lose?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 100- 105 lb and eat 1200 to maintain when not doing a structured exercise programme.

Last fall I started a heavy lifting programme x3 along with 2 x Zumba and 3x aqua fit. I started losing weight, which I didn't want to do, so sat and manually worked out what my calorie burn average was per 60 min of exercise. It worked out to 240 cal per day.

That being said I am a few decades older than you, but I still think your lifting calorie burn estimate is way too high.
    If you are eating it back, try cutting it to 75% for a couple of weeks. If that doesn't work cut it to 50%.

Weigh all your food on a scale, and measure liquids with cups and spoons.

Even at your weight, if you are bottom heavy, that will most likely be the last place you will move fat.

Lifting while eating at a deficit only helps one retain lbm.

Cheers, h.
  • crys_vb
    Options
    I track my excersize calories with a polar watch and heart rate monitor*
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    crys_vb wrote: »
    So i'm 5' 109 pounds ..23 years old - i usually eat about 1200 cals a day and i lift heavy, i can easily burn 600-700 cals in a session

I feel like i need to be eating more? My legs are HUGE and full of cellulite even though i can feel solid muscle under the fat, i'm embarrassed to be in a bikini just because my legs are huge and not taking shape like i want them to

Where are you getting that calorie burn from?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You are at a good weight for your height but if you're slowly gaining instead of losing, you are NOT in a deficit!
    You could be eating back too many calories or not logging correctly.
    Weigh everything you eat on a digital food scale and measure all caloric beverages.
    When you have so little to lose you need patience and tight logging!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you were eating 1200 calories or less, you wouldn't be gaining weight. Do you know who gains weight eating 1200 calories? Sedentary 8 year old girls.

My guess is that you are not weighing or measuring your food accurately. Get a digital kitchen scale. Weigh all of your food and record it using accurate entries in the MFP diary. That means use USDA entries or use the nutrition data from the package labels. Even when you use package labels, though, you should weigh your food as many packages contain more/less food than they indicate.

If you cannot weigh a food, use a measuring cup/spoon but don't jam the food in super tight in order to get a few extra bites. If you cannot weigh or measure a food (i.e., you're at a restaurant) estimate really well. Google "food serving chart" to study up on visual cues.

Stop trying to eat 1200 calories per day. There's no reason for a woman with 6 pounds to lose to eat only 1200 calories per day. Either fill out your MFP profile with a .5 pound per week weight loss goal and then log your exercise calories and eat at least half of them, or figure out your TDEE and then eat something like 250 calories below it. Expect your weight loss to be slow.

Also, stop criticizing yourself as having HUGE legs. With only 6 pounds of excess fat, I find it very hard to believe that your legs are HUGE. You sound hypercritical and like you need to adjust your thought process.

Oh, and there's no way you are burning 600 calories or more while weight lifting. Your HRM is not going to give you accurate data on something like that. I do think that people should eat their weight lifting calories but I would suggest logging them under either strength training or light calisthenics for a more accurate estimate in MFP.