C25K Back pain

Options
Guys, I'm in a pickle.

I've been intermittently using C25K for a couple of years and there's one thing that always stops me - after the first programme, I always get mysterious lower back aches after I'm done. The pain isn't debilitating but it definitely stops be from completing any meaningful workouts for the next 3-5 days.

Not sure why this is as I (especially recently) have been doing a good variety of different exercises (nothing mad - step class, zumba, some kettle bells, swimming etc) and my core isn't fantastic but I wouldn't say it's poor.

Maybe I am under-estimating the core thing? Has anybody else experienced this kind of pain or have any tips for avoiding it in the future?

Thanks

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Well, back pain like that should be checked out by a medical professional, like a sports doctor or sports physiotherapist. If you can't do that, get a knowledgeable runner to check your form, preferably near the end of a run. You might be over-rotating your torso and/or your pelvis is tilting backward. Both of those are from not keeping the abs "braced" enough while running.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Get it checked out but also think about your form. I had back pain but not as severe as yours but as soon as I was head up rather than eyes on the ground it went away.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Well, back pain like that should be checked out by a medical professional, like a sports doctor or sports physiotherapist. If you can't do that, get a knowledgeable runner to check your form, preferably near the end of a run. You might be over-rotating your torso and/or your pelvis is tilting backward. Both of those are from not keeping the abs "braced" enough while running.
    Seconded. It is most likely a form issue. Is there a specific distance or C25K week where it seems to happen? In other words, if you run shorter distances are you okay vs. longer distances where your form might be compromised as you get tired? Are you holding yourself stiffly or are you relaxed?