Low carb diet help how many calories ?

Hi Id like to do a low carb food plan I know we need to keep carbs below 50 grams to get into ketosis but not sure how many calories I should eat

Im in ketosis now as im doing a meal replacement diet but don't like the taste and want to eat real food. I am carb sensitive so o lose weight faster low carbing .
Any help is appreciated ive 70lbs to lose

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    We'd need your stats to give a better recommendation: Height, current weight, age, activity levels.

Or plug your info into something like this:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    A number that places you in a calorie deficit.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    When you set up your mfp goals it will tell you gow many calories to eat. It would be the same whether you are doing low carb or not. Good luck!
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Carbs are in EVERYTHING. Fruit, veg, everything. Low-carb diets have been proven to be ineffective in the long term and need to go back to the 90s where they belong. Atkins died of a heart attack weighing over 250 lb...what does that tell you. Sure, you lose some initial water weight as your glycogen stores are depleted - but that's not fat, that's water. You will regain anything you've lost the minute you start eating carbs again. Cutting out food groups in an absolute no-no in dieting, as it leads to horribly decreased energy levels and inevitable weight regain. Instead, just watch your calories - without restricting them excessively - and cut out 2bad" carbs, IE processed crap, white bread and pasta etc. Replace them with rye bread, brown rice and pasta, and quinoa. Eat moderate amounts of these and you will lose weight sustainably and without feeling tired or deprived.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I use the calories MFP gives me and cut out super processed carbs...most breads, flour, sugar, rice, white potatoes, and sweets. I do still enjoy fruit daily, whole grains occasionally, and a tiny piece of dark chocolate every day...works for me!

Good luck in finding what works for you!
  • lhawley2081
    lhawley2081 Posts: 5 Member
    I use the calories MFP gives me when setting goals. Then I go back into goal setting a second time and while leaving the calories the same I manually change the percentage for Carbs, Fat and Protein to my personal goal.
    In my case I use 5% Carbs, 70% Fat and 25% Protein. This works well for me. I have lost 59 pounds since the end of April.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    There is a nice keto oriented calculator. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    aqualeo1 wrote: »
    When you set up your mfp goals it will tell you gow many calories to eat. It would be the same whether you are doing low carb or not. Good luck!

This, you can change your macro goals (well, you can if they fixed that bug) to give you the carb goal you want, but I'd just use mfp to calculate your goal.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    As long as you eat at a slight deficit, you will lose weight. The above links will help.

I'm in ketosis too. My calories are set somewhere over 1400 kcal but I range between 1100 and 2200 per day (usually close to 1500). My carbs are set at 5%, fat is 65% and protein is 25%.

Try the Low Carber Daily forum or Keto forum for more information. Best wishes.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    edited August 2015
    Carbs are in EVERYTHING. Fruit, veg, everything. Low-carb diets have been proven to be ineffective in the long term and need to go back to the 90s where they belong. Atkins died of a heart attack weighing over 250 lb...what does that tell you. Sure, you lose some initial water weight as your glycogen stores are depleted - but that's not fat, that's water. You will regain anything you've lost the minute you start eating carbs again. Cutting out food groups in an absolute no-no in dieting, as it leads to horribly decreased energy levels and inevitable weight regain. Instead, just watch your calories - without restricting them excessively - and cut out 2bad" carbs, IE processed crap, white bread and pasta etc. Replace them with rye bread, brown rice and pasta, and quinoa. Eat moderate amounts of these and you will lose weight sustainably and without feeling tired or deprived.

Dr. Atkins died from traumatic brain damage from falling on ice. He was also not overweight. He was 195 lbs. He died at 258 lbs because of massive water retention.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    sandown12 wrote: »
    Hi Id like to do a low carb food plan I know we need to keep carbs below 50 grams to get into ketosis but not sure how many calories I should eat

Im in ketosis now as im doing a meal replacement diet but don't like the taste and want to eat real food. I am carb sensitive so o lose weight faster low carbing .

The calories are the same as anyone else the same height, age, weight, activity level as you.
    The difference is that with the decrease in carbs you will likely add fat (butter, avocado, nuts, full fat milk, bacon, coconut oil).

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    There aren't specific calorie rules for low carb

Eat at a defecit to lose weight ...use your MFP allowance plus exercise or cut from TDEE

Then if you choose to low carb to meet those calorie goals do that

But the basic CICO equation is the same for any style of dieting
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    A number that places you in a calorie deficit.

Yep. Calories in, calories out, how you get there is individual choice.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    sandown12 wrote: »

@sandown12 I have 75 pounds to lose and started eating under 50 grams of carbs 10 months ago really to try and manage my arthritis pain. 30 days after truly going very low carb it was managing my pain very well. Many pluses with one being I have lost 30 pounds.

I had lost 20 pounds just on CICO before I started trying to manage my pain by diet so I was at 250+ and just went under 200 for the first time in 22 years. Eating at 2600 calories I lose about 3 pounds per month on average but it is not linear by any means.

Not knowing your numbers you could start at 2000 to be on the safe side. 1800 to 2200 calories seem to be a common calorie goal for some women eating very low carb.

I am not finding VLCHD to remotely be a Low Calorie diet. After 40 years of abusing carbs my body had about had all the abuse it could take and I had to wind up leaving most all carbs cold turkey after failing to taper off them for two months because my health was getting worse fast.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member

Dr. Atkins died from traumatic brain damage from falling on ice. He was also not overweight. He was 195 lbs. He died at 258 lbs because of massive water retention.

Perhaps I've been given misleading information, apologies. However the rest of my comment holds true. Carbs are not the enemy -don't cut them out, maybe just swap in more protein to prevent too much muscle loss as you lose weight.