Calorie counters.

Options
I don't believe in calorie trackers. Extremely inaccurate. I am only concerned with the macros I consume and my body fat %. I never step on a scale either

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If that works for you, you should keep doing it, though how you can track macros accurately but not calories is a bit baffling.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How did you determine the macro percentages without taking calorie content into account in some fashion? (legit question, in case it sounded snarky)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You do realize this is a calorie counting app?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    What makes you say calorie counting is inaccurate but tracking macros and body fat % is accurate? Surely tracking macros and calories have the same level of accuracy.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How is macro counting more precise than calorie counting?

A calorie counter's accuracy is dependent on the data that is input by the user. A macro counter's accuracy as dependent on the data that is input by the user. If you're taking a math test and answer the problem 2+2=? with 5, you don't blame the pencil, you blame the pencil's operator (i.e., you) for getting it wrong. Same goes with a calorie or macro counter.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    However you want to control your weight and fitness is up to you. Counting is counting no matter what it is you are counting...whether that be calories...points...macros...etc etc.

In one sense even watching portion control is counting...you are still keeping up with how much you have eaten.

You say that you never step on a scale...yet you have entered on your profile a target amount of weight to lose. Without weighing how do you know how much weight that you want to lose and how will you know when you have reached that point?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    If that works for you, you should keep doing it, though how you can track macros accurately but not calories is a bit baffling.

Also baffled.

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How is macro counting more precise than calorie counting?

A calorie counter's accuracy is dependent on the data that is input by the user. A macro counter's accuracy as dependent on the data that is input by the user. If you're taking a math test and answer the problem 2+2+? with 5, you don't blame the pencil, you blame the pencil's operator (i.e., you) for getting it wrong. Same goes with a calorie or macro counter.

I see no fault in this logic.

What specifically are you getting after here OP? Telling the MFP community that we're inaccurately tracking our calories? Because I'm pretty sure it's worked extremely well for a ton of people on this site.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why should we care?

Other things I don't care about include but are not limited to

The threat of alien abduction
    Grilled tomatoes
    Mel Gibson
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Good for you :|
  • hannibalholt89
    hannibalholt89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    if you are tracking macros you are tracking cals also, you may not be actually adding them but each gram of your macros contain a certain amount of cals
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    So basically you track what is essentially calories divided by average calories per gram per macronutrient. I'm not sure how that's any more or less accurate than tracking calories.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Whatever works for you. Nothing works for everyone, so you need to do what works for you. However, I agree - how can you track macros accurately but not calories? I just can't wrap my mind around that one..
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    OP, you rebel you! I like the cut of your jib.

I suppose you never look at your paycheck either, but go by the social security withholding. Clever!
    And you never check your bank account balance, but monitor your ATM withdrawal fees. Such brilliance!

You be you!
  • Luvzy
    Luvzy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Trolls gonna troll.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Eat when your hungry. Eat according to goals. Don't eat till your full. Eat till your satisfied. I know I'm always roaming over these boards and reading these newbie posts.
    Whales are the most offended , by the book
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    daynerz wrote: »
    Eat when your hungry. Eat according to goals. Don't eat till your full. Eat till your satisfied. I know I'm always roaming over these boards and reading these newbie posts.
    Did you post this on the intended thread?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    daynerz wrote: »

What does this mean?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaJlKdCdwSpZ9id1MJE-khBvPz1AIkSswNzAiONzasZw394gBk_Q
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member