Hip dip? Build muscle?

Options
i know there's probably been loads of discussions about the 'hip dip'

But I was wondering what exercises i could I do to fill out that area? I don't what to lose weight and I know I'll always have it as its a lot to do with genetics.. But if i could build muscle on my hips so they maybe appear more curvy? Is this possible?

Thanks ☺️

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Most "curves" come from fat on top of muscle or a contrast between waist size and hips which is genetic, sorry.
  • erinmyow
    erinmyow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and have had considerable success with side lying hip abductions (using ankle weights once I was able) and particularly weighted side lunges which I would recommend more because I believe the side lying hip abductions may have made my obliques (or some other muscle in that general area) thicker which made my waist look straighter.
    The only thing is that the weighted side lunges can be dangerous to knees and ankles. Out of caution, I use a variation of the side lunge which allows you to begin in wide squat position and just perform the lunges alternating from that position, squeezing the glutes at the top of the motion in order to return to a centered position, rather than stepping to the side for each lunge. This basically looks as though you were performing a squat to the side. It's also very important to keep your toe pointed in the same direction as your knee bends to prevent torsion in your knee, never bring your knee past your toe, stop if something feels wrong, and be very careful not to slip. (I strongly recommend practicing without weight first.) There is a tendency with this exercise to slip slowly into the splits if you aren't used to it. I place small barbell weights under my toes to prevent slipping, but this does affect the exercise somewhat.
    I think the muscles that these exercises mainly work are the gluteus medius and gluteus minimus, so probably any exercises that work these muscles will be effective, but, to make a very significant difference, you have to achieve hypertrophy which requires a fair amount of effort.
    My results have been considerably curvier lower hips which makes the hip dip seem much less noticeable and just look different generally, but it has not completely gone away (I believe that every woman or almost every woman has at least a very slight hip dip. Even women like Kim Kardashian who have very curvy hips have a subtle dip.) It's not how I expected them to look, but I do like the way that my hips look now after six months of these exercises and plan to continue with the weighted side lunges.