New to squatting

I got advised to start doing squats a few days ago to strengthen my legs which I haven't pushed hard because of a bad knee.

I watched some vids and the trainer at the gym was very good and showed me what to do whilst watching me.

I was very careful but today I have shooting pains down the sides of my knee and can't move it without it twinging. Am I being neurotic or is it normal for that area (tendons?) to hurt like that after a long time of not being stretched?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    If you still have a bad knee, you cannot squat. Your knee is in the line of contact to the floor.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited August 2015
    What kind a trainer. Personal trainer? I would go see a physical therapists who knows more than a personal trainer.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Oh....the trainer said it was ok too. I really have no idea tbh. This is very new to me.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Furbuster wrote: »
    Oh....the trainer said it was ok too. I really have no idea tbh. This is very new to me.

Try squat without any weight... if there is still pain then you cannot squat. Instead of going off of a PT, go see a physiotherapist or doctor if the pain persists.
  • Furbuster
    Gym trainer - I had a physio yes but that's time gone. I'm on a waiting list to get it fixed. Physios here are NHS so we have to wait for a reassessment.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,050 Member
    As far as the pain goes, usually that is an issue with bad form although not alway, or structural issues with the knee because of damage. Since we really don't know what your knee issue is, commenting would be difficult. A physiotherapist would be the person to see about the wisdom of squatting. Often squatting will help knees, again, only if done with proper form.
  • Furbuster
    Meniscus is torn. I'll try the weightless thing - thanks.
  • IsaackGMOON

Damn. If you have a torn meniscus you seriously can't squat, even without weight. The majority of the meniscus doesn't have a good supply of blood; so it can't repair due to lack of nutrients etc...

The only reason you should be squatting with a meniscus tear is if it's absolutely necessary (i.e. picking something up... functional stuff y'know)

Your PT is useless in honesty if he's telling you to squat for leg strength... you can't if your meniscus is is torn.

Go see a physiotherapist or PT... have they given you an MRI or X-ray?
  • yopeeps025

You're not in pain everyday from just walking around?
  • Furbuster
    Yep I had an MRI about 1-2 years ago and was due to go into surgery but I moved areas so it all got put back as I'm now in a different NHS Trust - hence waiting list again..

• yopeeps025

Damn. If you have a torn meniscus you seriously can't squat, even without weight. The majority of the meniscus doesn't have a good supply of blood; so it can't repair due to lack of nutrients etc...

The only reason you should be squatting with a meniscus tear is if it's absolutely necessary (i.e. picking something up... functional stuff y'know)

Your PT is useless in honesty if he's telling you to squat for leg strength... you can't if your meniscus is is torn.

Even if it could repair on its own sometimes they repair incorrectly. Why chance it OP? Go see a doctor.
  • Furbuster
    My knee/leg locks if I get up the wrong way and slightly twist it - other than that no - walk a plenty without pain.
  • Furbuster
    Ok this has been helpful I'll stop doing it - thankyou
  • IsaackGMOON
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Even if it could repair on its own sometimes they repair incorrectly. Why chance it OP? Go see a doctor.

+1

I had a very minor meniscus tear but my knee still locks up on the rare occasion... OP go see your doc.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,050 Member
    I have squatted with a meniscus tear as it only caused problems when the torn section got displaced which would cause the knee to give way and lock, but that usually only happened in specific situations. Having said that, getting the meniscus tear dealt with was what made it possible for me to exercise without issue including squats. I would say see a physiotherapist about exercise that you can do, and an orthopedic surgeon about getting the tear dealt with.
  • yopeeps025
    My knee/leg locks if I get up the wrong way and slightly twist it - other than that no - walk a plenty without pain.

Sounds like you have worked your way around it which works but there still can be a problem you don't see or feel.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

+1

I had a very minor meniscus tear but my knee still locks up on the rare occasion... OP go see your doc.

Mine knee used to give like an ACL injury when I used to do hours and hours of cardio. Moral of the story is I rarely get an hour of cardio a week now.
  • Furbuster
    Helpful - thanks everyone. I'll get back to walking uphill instead.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member

Just to chime in, I had one half (inner half) of my meniscus removed in 1983, and my knee has never caused me any problems since then. I squat lower weights (105 lbs tops at this point) but only because I have herniated discs in my back that cause me to lose form at heavier weights. Age 53 now, was about 21 when I had the surgery. No arthritis or any problem bending/squatting at all. Matter of fact, my other knee gets a little crankier much easier than my meniscus-less one. Can you get your meniscus removed?

Hope you get your issues resolved, regardless; sorry to hear you're having problems, knees are not something to mess around with.

• IsaackGMOON

Just to chime in, I had one half (inner half) of my meniscus removed in 1983, and my knee has never caused me any problems since then. I squat lower weights (105 lbs tops at this point) but only because I have herniated discs in my back that cause me to lose form at heavier weights. Age 53 now, was about 21 when I had the surgery. No arthritis or any problem bending/squatting at all. Matter of fact, my other knee gets a little crankier much easier than my meniscus-less one. Can you get your meniscus removed?

Hope you get your issues resolved, regardless; sorry to hear you're having problems, knees are not something to mess around with.

NHS will do it for free if they deem it serious enough to remove... other than that you'd have to go private.