Question about Wisconsin

Options
I am going on a 4-day family vacation to a lodge in Wisconsin. What are some places to go and things to do there that are MFP-friendly (as opposed to stuffing our faces with delicious cheese and wine)? I would like to stay active and make some great memories. Any recommendations?

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I recommend you stay at home if you can not control your eating.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Seven mile fair...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the delicious wine and cheese? Have fun with the family for 4 days?

Holidays - they can be fun!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Exactly where in Wisconsin? Loads of outstanding cuisine here.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Wisconsin is play hard, eat, play hard, eat.
    see the gentleman above me jumping over fire.

we also have many lakes, hiking trails, bike rentals, etc
    but we have great creameries and wineries and breweries

when you take responsibility about your own eating and activity habits, it doesn't matter where you go
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Stay in Minnesota........have you ever seen what a badger can do to a gopher hole?????? :trollface:
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    Wisconsin is play hard, eat, play hard, eat.
    see the gentleman above me jumping over fire.

we also have many lakes, hiking trails, bike rentals, etc
    but we have great creameries and wineries and breweries

when you take responsibility about your own eating and activity habits, it doesn't matter where you go

QFT. Granted, on vacations I'm much more lax about my eating habits, but I also don't want to spend the entire time worrying about my calories. When I actually took my Fitbit on the cruise with me a couple months ago, I found out that while I ate more, I was also a LOT more active, so my net was very close to what it should be. And that was with me eating what I wanted. If you're concerned about eating too much, just watch your portions and make sure you do active things. It will likely even out in the end, so just have fun!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming this lodge is on a lake? Go swimming, kayaking, canoeing, waterskiing, wakeboarding, etc
    Same as you'd do at the lakes in MN
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Why are you drinking wine in Wisconsin instead of beer?

And where, in particular, are you going? Northern Wisconsin by Hayward or Minocqua perhaps?
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Seven mile fair...

Where?

Seven mile fair. That's where.
  • mbaker566
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

And where, in particular, are you going? Northern Wisconsin by Hayward or Minocqua perhaps?

our wine is equally outstanding. our weather being similar to some European wine country
    just saying
    I hate dislike strongly beer. (but I love cheese)
  • sherrynickel
    sherrynickel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    They make steamed vegetables in Wisconsin, they also have salads, fish, and other wonderful fresh food to enjoy. There are plenty of activities to partake in as well. Don't deny yourself a sample of cheese or wine or beer. Moderate those foods with exercise even a walk after dinner or lunch will help maintain the level of calorie intake
    Options

our wine is equally outstanding. our weather being similar to some European wine country
    just saying
    I used to work a Wisconsin vineyard for a season. Replanted three hundred vines that hot summer. Ugh.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I had wisconsin cheese curds at The Old Fashioned in downtown madison recently...first time having cheese curds...zomg...F yo diet and get them shizes. They were all kinds of glorious.
  • mbaker566
    edited August 2015
    Options

just saying
    I used to work a Wisconsin vineyard for a season. Replanted three hundred vines that hot summer. Ugh.

for that, me and my friends thank you
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I had wisconsin cheese curds at The Old Fashioned in downtown madison recently...first time having cheese curds...zomg...F yo diet and get them shizes. They were all kinds of glorious.

frozen custard and fried cheese curds. that's what I call comfort food
    Options

frozen custard and fried cheese curds. that's what I call comfort food
    Must. Must. Have.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    yes, cheese curds. :) Go for a hike, waterparks
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

just saying

We'll have to agree to disagree on the wine front. Haven't had any Wisco wines I like all that much. Agree 100% on cheese.
  • mbaker566
    Options

just saying

We'll have to agree to disagree on the wine front. Haven't had any Wisco wines I like all that much. Agree 100% on cheese.
    wollersheim, parallell44
    good stuff