Fresh baked salmon!

Options
LaVidaDeNiki
LaVidaDeNiki Posts: 22 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
v1qajspydfwd.jpg

Fresh baked lemon pepper salmon..... It turned out OKAY but not even close to amazing.. I'm definitely no chef in the kitchen. Very amateur, but I'm learning. Haha.. I do love salmon, any healthy recipes would be great. I tried not to add butter or anything crazy, but I'm thinking its necessary if I want to enjoy my meal!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Try salmon in parchment -- there are lots of instructions online, but here's one version: http://www.marthastewart.com/317240/salmon-in-parchment

What's great about it is you can use basically any vegetables.

I learned about cooking fish from Mark Bittman's book Fish, which I highly recommend, too. Whenever I'd consider trying a new fish I'd read about it and ideas for preparing it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I like to cook it on my countertop Foreman grill. Only takes a couple minutes. Marinade in olive oil, lemon juice, salt, & rosemary.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How cool. :) Beautiful picture. How long did you bake it? I cook salmon on the stove in a frying pan (no oil because the fish has enough). On the stove, I do not have to time it -- just keep an eye on it. Next time, you can add some fresh or dried dill or tarragon.

Or make a mustard sauce:
    1/2 cup Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or
    1 tablespoon dried dill
    1 handful chopped fresh basil
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Mustard sauce sounds awesome, but my favorite is marinated in teriyaki. It's my favorite "mom" meal that I request if she's asking :)
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Salmon cooks if you look at it wrong!

Don't overcook that beautiful fish!

You don't need to bake it or steam it or put it in parchments or anything.

All you need is some dry heat (i.e. broiler, i.e. the top burner of your oven.)
    Use your favorite herbs and spices, very lightly rub it (or spray it) with oil/butter and cook it close to the broiler at full blast with the oven door open. It will take 3-5 minutes so stick around and check on it. Flip it when GBD (golden brown and delicious). Done.

If you can't cook it like that, cook it like fried eggs. I.e. with a bit of oil in a nice hot pan, saute one side for 1-2 minutes (depending on thickness) and turn it over for the same amount of time. Turn off the heat, put the pan lid on and let it rest for a few (3-5 minutes). Done

If you'd like to poach it, you can literally cook salmon in lukewarm water (brothy of course).
    Make a nice soupy broth, add your veggies of choice (i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, etc. etc.) cook them al dente and then add the salmon to immerse in broth. Turn off the heat, and let rest for ~5 minutes. DONE.

bon appetit.

PS Do NOT throw away the skin! After cooking the salmon, peel the skin and toast it (I do it in a sandwich grill). It becomes like a salmon chip. Absolutely delicious!
  • bellesb169
    bellesb169 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a salmon fanatic. I can eat it everyday with various seasonings added to it. I usually bake mine but I like the idea of trying to pan fry it. I've overcooked it a time or two and boy its' terrible when its overcooked and dry. YUCK