How much weight would you predict I might lose doing this?

Options
If I set a personal net goal of 1000 while my recommended caloric intake is 1200. Meaning I will burn 200 calories a day excercising and eat healthy getting all the right nutrients, how much weight in how much time will I lose? I think I finally have Net calories figured out! Yay!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you lose and some weeks you lose nothing.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    probably nothing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Is the 1,200 MFP's recommended goal? You realize that has a deficit already built-in, right? If you put your data in correctly, you will lose weight without exercise. You should be netting at least 1,200.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Uhh... what is the 1200 recommendation based on? Is 1200 TDEE or BMR or MFP's estimate based on NEAT? If it is BMR or MFP's recomendation what did you set your goal to and what is your weight, height, age, gender, and activity level?

Without that information no one can answer your question. But I will say that reducing your net calories by 200 per day will burn an extra 0.4lb/week on top of whatever else you were going to lose/gain.
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @janejellyroll How do you net more than you take in? Everytime I work out, my net number goes down so... The recommended caloric intake for me based on height/ weight/ age/ goal etc is 1200.... @nordlead2005 I can tell you that my bmr is higher than my recommended caloric intake. It's like 1373 so...

Anyway, guys it seems impossible to me mathematically that my net can be higher than my caloric intake.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I will guess 1.4 pounds per week. Update us after a few months and let us know how close we were.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Came to offer advice, realized I don't have the patience to forum today. Good luck OP.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Your recommended caloric intake of 1200 is based on a goal of losing how many pounds per week?
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'll use my numbers to explain.
    If I wanted to maintain what I currently weigh, I would need to eat 2500 calories a day. This is how much my body burns to LIVE with minimal movement. I'm not in a coma, so I move around a bit, but no intentional exercise.
    If I want to lose .5 lb a week, I would eat 250 calories less per day, so 2250. If I want to lose 1lb a week I would eat 500 calories less per day, 2000. I'm choosing 2lbs a week loss since I have so much to lose, so I am set at 1500 calories a day.
    This is all with out exercise.
    So I'm eating 1500 calories a day, but my body is still burning 2500 calories a day to function.
    If I add exercise and burn 200 calories on a walk, my body would be burning 2700 calories a day. So to keep up my 2lb a week loss, I now get to eat 1700 calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I predict 3 oz. by tomorrow.

Seriously, OP, there's no way for us to predict that.

How many calories did you eat or net when you lost the first 18 pounds? Why are you switching to this new method?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    14 pounds to go..............an appropriate weekly goal would be 1/2 pound a week.

The reason that is so low.......closer to goal it gets harder to maintain existing lean muscle mass. But I understand you want the number on the scale as fast as possible. Just be aware that there are trade-offs. The number on the scale is just that. How you look when you get there is sometimes something else. Google skinny-fat.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @janejellyroll How do you net more than you take in? Everytime I work out, my net number goes down so... The recommended caloric intake for me based on height/ weight/ age/ goal etc is 1200.... @nordlead2005 I can tell you that my bmr is higher than my recommended caloric intake. It's like 1373 so...

Anyway, guys it seems impossible to me mathematically that my net can be higher than my caloric intake.

Your net caloric intake can't be higher than your total caloric intake. I don't think anyone is suggesting that.

MFP recommends 1200 because that is the minimum recommended daily caloric intake. If you follow the MFP method, you should eat back 100% of your exercise calories. Most don't (and instead suggest 50-75%) because calculating exercise calories can be sketchy and most feel you are better safe than sorry.

If your BMR is 1373 and you are lightly active, then TDEE is probably ~1800. Eating at 1200 calories/day will cause you to lose ~1.2lb/week. If you exercise for another 200 calories every day (not suggested without eating them back), then you'll lose ~1.6lb/week.

Again, You should eat more. I would suggest targeting 1300 net calories daily average to lose 1lb/week. That is a good rate, you don't have to rush this.

In 4-8 weeks see if you are losing 1lb on average, and if not adjust accordingly. That may mean re-checking your accuracy and logging habits or it may mean eating more.

EDIT: just saw you only have 14lb to go. I'd eat over 1300 calories, probably closer to 1500 calories. I'm personally slowly working on increasing my calories to cut down my weight loss speed as I have ~25lb to go.
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I predict 3 oz. by tomorrow.

Seriously, OP, there's no way for us to predict that.

How many calories did you eat or net when you lost the first 18 pounds? Why are you switching to this new method?
    I haven't a clue. lol I quit for a while and started back up again. I will have to go back and look into it to compare. I think I was eating less healthy and excercizing more. But I threw my back out. lol

• JollyHodgers87
    Options
    Thank you guys. I've figured it out. I am not eating enough! Epiphany! Thank goodness for a slow work day so I could figure this out once and for all. Have a great evening!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You can't net more than you take in. You need to eat enough so that your net is sufficient to nourish your body. If your calorie recommendation is coming from MFP, it's designed for you to eat exercise calories back.