What do you eat before workout

Options
What foods do you eat before work out, I need some new ideas, and after?

Thank you

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i'm a runner, and do so early in the morning. i used to eat a toasted english muffin with PB every morning before my run, but now i practice IF so i run fasted in the mornings, aside from a couple mugs of coffee. it took a bit of adjusting, but it was entirely mental. now i enjoy running fasted much more, and it makes it easier for me to adhere to my calorie goals.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    nothing before a run except some milk, but before yoga: granola, cheese, milk, nuts, PB,. etc
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Since I am into powerlifting at 430 or 600am in the morning I try to eat about 300-400 calories, with some carbs and protein -- usually in the form of PB toast or yogurt or a banana or apple. And a mug of coffee. Don't forget the coffee!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It doesn't really matter and is largely personal preference from one person to the next. Eat when you're hungry (as long as you stay within your calorie goal). That could be 5 meals a day, 3 meals a day, or one meal day. It could be at 3am, 12pm, or 9 pm... or all three times, regardless of what time your workout is.
  • nxtiv
    nxtiv Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Banana :) natures protein bar
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If I'm swimming or doing spin, I eat nothing before. If I'm lifting heavy, I shovel in about 2 tbsps of PB and a fruit or an egg and some fruit. I also enjoy eating energy balls made by Kewaza. One at a time, though.

ETA: I eat 2 Jr Bacon Cheeseburgers after I lift and usually just eat normal dinner after the cardio.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I don't when I wake up. Sometimes I'm still half asleep and the water wakes me.

After, usually berries. Whatever I'm having for breakfast.
  • adamvikings4life
    adamvikings4life Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm into weight training and I have slow digestive carbs before a work, oatmeal, cereal, banana, PB something like that. On cardio days I have yogurt or fast digestive carbs
  • elobacz
    elobacz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy every morning, but on the weekends I make sweet potato pancakes for each morning prior. I leave them in the fridge, then in the mornings throw one in the toaster, fry up an egg and put it on top. And of course as someone said, don't forget the coffee! That starts your metabolism for the day. With that breakfast and a protein shake post gym I'm between 400-500 calories. It works out perfectly.
  • latoyalatte
    latoyalatte Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal before and eggs with sweet potato hummus after.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Mini wheat bagel and strawberry preserves. No fat before workout!

During the workout I sip a water mixed protein drink - only about 20 grams worth.

Of course, strong coffee too! I wake at 5:15am - in the gym by 6:30am.

R
  • cottagegyrl
    cottagegyrl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Avoid dairy since it already has lactic acid. I also do a slice of toast with PB and maybe a half banana. My fav is to make overnight oats with almond milk, steel cut oats, peanut butter, and cocoa. Fills me up for hours, but that's before a long run, and well in advance.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Before: Water. That is all. I always work out fasted, but I dont eat a lot of carbs, so I have that ability. I usually can't do it otherwise. I usually burn 700-1500 calories fasted, over about 45-75 min.

After, it depends. Avocado, dairy blend, can of spinach (replenishes both sodium and potassium), and cheese.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I go first thing in morning, fasted.
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandy
    Options
    Before if im really hungry I will have a peanut butter sandwiches made with banana instead of bread. (Cut banana in half then cut each half in half lengthwise, spread pb on half and then put banana halves together.) After I usually eat lunch which is typically a sandwich with meat and cheese on wheat/grain low calorie bread with just mustard and a side of sugar snap peas, a couple English cucumbers, or a few sweet peppers.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I usually hit the gym right after a light lunch of a sandwich of healthy bread and lean meat. After my workout I eat a small snack bag of nuts. My trainer suggested carbs before a workout and protein after. That fits!

70044776.png
  • fireandfox
    fireandfox Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Nothing but a coffee (mocha) first thing in the morning. That's enough for energy and not too many calories so I'll burn fat rather than what I just ate.
    If I end up going in the afternoon I try and time it so I come back just before a meal e.g. Dinner
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I drink muscle milk before my workout because if I don't eat or drink anything I will be too weak to do anything lol. I've also done peanut butter on toast with banana slices. That's a good snack before or after the workout.