Shopping healthily but affordable

Options
What are foods and ways to stretch my budget to buy healthier foods? I'm unsure how. I don't fully control the household shopping because I live with my mom but I work now so I do some. My mom always buys junk and processed foods and I'm wondering what are the most effective ways to do it differently.

Replies

• Wytcher9
    Wytcher9 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Create a weekly menu to identify what items you need to buy in addition to weekly shopping. Check out blogs/YouTube videos on weekly meal prep where you spend 1 day preparing meals for entire week. Great for portion control. There are plenty of blogs out there on frugal meal planning that can help you stretch a dollar.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Frozen veggies and fruits
    Dried peas and beans
    Buy meat on sale and freeze - lots of stores are bagging up frozen chicken breasts and selling them cheap these days.
    Watch the sales in the store - they don't always advertise them.
    Use coupons.

Make your own bread. It's a little cheaper, it's healthier and it tastes so much better. Plus, many people like the smell. Your mom will probably enjoy both the small and the bread. :)

Also, check out the cheapo grocery stores. You can save a bundle if you're willing to shop in them.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I buy in catagories, protiens, produce, bread products. then if there is still money, boxed wine and chocolate.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Definitely preplan, most of the larger grocery stores will have an app that you can compile a list with and see what is on sale.
    Buy in bulk for non-perishables and things you can freeze.
    Buy what is in season.

I've read of people stretching their budgets with dry beans and legumes in places of some meats. Those are pretty cheap to buy in bulk.

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies, I buy my fruits fresh , chop and freaze them, rice, oatmeal, tuna, beans, chicken, etc

Seriosly at least in my case was like that, when you start to eat things according to their serving size, you'll be surprise how much they last
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Ask your mom to involve you in the food planning, shopping, prepping, cooking.
    Relatively inexpensive: canned tuna and salmon, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, peanuts, potatoes, fresh or frozen greens.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Planning and buying basic groceries (ie having to cook from scratch) if you're looking to be really frugal buy dried beans, fruits and vegetables in season (or frozen - you can get great deals when they're on sale) and don't worry about buying organic...it's not worth the extra cost.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Here's a general rule that I swear helps me save money. Save 100% of the purchase price by not buying anything they print coupons for. Outside of rare exceptions, you really don't need that cra stuff at all. Spend most of your money wisely in the produce, dairy and meat & fish departments. Brave the aisles for stuff like vinegar, oils and pasta but be aware you are in enemy territory. I don't stick to the list for meat and produce, but I don't buy anything from the center aisles or end caps that I didn't plan to buy before coming into the store. Corporations pay armies of people big money to take as much of your coin as possible cheat you, and your health and welfare is nowhere on their priority list. They don't carry guns, but they are way more efficient thieves than the muggers on the street.

That was unexpected. :o
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Here's a general rule that I swear helps me save money. Save 100% of the purchase price by not buying anything they print coupons for. Outside of rare exceptions, you really don't need that cra stuff at all. Spend most of your money wisely in the produce, dairy and meat & fish departments. Brave the aisles for stuff like vinegar, oils and pasta but be aware you are in enemy territory. I don't stick to the list for meat and produce, but I don't buy anything from the center aisles or end caps that I didn't plan to buy before coming into the store. Corporations pay armies of people big money to take as much of your coin as possible cheat you, and your health and welfare is nowhere on their priority list. They don't carry guns, but they are way more efficient thieves than the muggers on the street.

That was unexpected. :o
    It was certainly fun to read. <3