Cramp in foot help!!

I do a class every Wednesday and have been doing for around 6 months. Three out of the past 4 classes I have found that I'm starting to get cramp in my foot. This usually comes when having to balance mainly on one foot e.g when doing lunges. Two of the times wasn't that bad, but tonight the cramp got so bad I had to stop for 5 minutes and could put no weight on my foot at all. The cramp felt like my toes were crossed over and was horrendous. Does anyone know why this may be happening? My first thought was my shoes, but I have had these shoes since Christmas and they have been no problem at any other time so I'm reluctant to say that is the cause. They are quite expensive Nike trainers suited to my foot shape. Any other thoughts?

Replies

• rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    As a runner I get foot cramps if my electrolytes are low. Make sure you've got plenty of potassium and calcium in your diet. It's amazing what eating a banana before a workout can do for muscles
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Also, when you get a cramp, stretch from your heel. This helps me tremendously.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,439 Member
    I get cramps in my feet when I haven't drunk as much as I should ... water. If I haven't drunk a glass of water in the afternoon, for example, my feet will cramp walking home.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Yes, hydration and stretching.
  • kat_williams
    kat_williams Posts: 22 Member
    It can't be water as I drink at least 2 litres every day as a rule. Also, I'd been for a 20 min run before the class and had done the warm up and stretching for 10 minutes at the beginning of the class so this also probably isn't the issue. As I said, I've been doing the same routine exactly for around 6 months now, this problem has only occurred in the past few weeks. Any other suggestions would be really helpful! Thanks
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Usually foot cramps happen when the foot doesn't get enough movement throughout the day.. from not walking enough and/or wearing shoes with an overly rigid sole (like dress shoes). Feet need a "workout" too! Try walking barefoot or in "minimalist shoes" as much as possible, or at least stretch your feet hourly. Here are good ways to do it:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=nIFS-Myco24

Post an update next week. :+1:
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    It can't be water as I drink at least 2 litres every day as a rule. Also, I'd been for a 20 min run before the class and had done the warm up and stretching for 10 minutes at the beginning of the class so this also probably isn't the issue. As I said, I've been doing the same routine exactly for around 6 months now, this problem has only occurred in the past few weeks. Any other suggestions would be really helpful! Thanks

If you're drinking on the low end of 2 liters more often than not, then it is likely not enough. At minimum I (and many others) drink 4 liters a day and that's without exercise. Definitely need more if hot or strenuous exercise. I'd definitely try upping the water intake at least a liter.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Is your foot in a flexed state when exercising? That will cause spasms of flexed up toes.
  • kat_williams
    kat_williams Posts: 22 Member
    With exercising my foot, I've got a Fitbit so I try and walk as much as possible during the day. The shoes I wear during the day aren't rigid either, they are the exact opposite. I understand that more water could beneficial, but why would that have only started being a problem in the past month, when I've been doing the class for 6 months. Also I've only been drinking more water for maybe about 2 months or so, so if it was water then the cramp should have been occurring before now.

Did the class today with no shoes on to see if that helped, the cramp still happened. My instructor thinks it could be due to putting weight just on my toes, as it mainly occurs during lunges. Any ideas?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I second the vote for low electrolytes.
  • trhoney
    trhoney Posts: 8 Member
    Try and use a lacrosse ball to roll out the cramp. That can help. Also, sit down and take a towel around the foot with your leg stretched out and slow pull the towel toward yourself and stretch it towards you and than from side to slow. Again, slowly. Hope it helps.