Squats--Quantity vs. weights?

Options
So I've been wondering what is better when doing squats--doing as many as I can or doing less and adding a heavier weight? I usually to a combination of basic, sumo, lunges, etc. and use 10-15lb. kettle bells.

Replies

• bigd269
    bigd269 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    the best would be to do both, one week heavy next week high rep
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I started out doing as many as I could, then started adding weight. I don't do them nearly as often as I should, and it's one of the easiest things in the world to do!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you don't find ways to make them more difficult, the only way to improve is to do more. At some point, it will become endurance training. If you w a nt to improve your strength, I'd try variations that make them more difficult or increase the weight.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    That would depend entirely on what your goal is. Endurance or strength.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

+1

If it's for endurance... you could go with light weights or no weights.

If you're doing it for strength and muscle mass*, then you should have a progressive overload in weight.

*muscle mass would require correct macros and a caloric surplus
  • tamiandtoto
    tamiandtoto Posts: 18 Member
    Options

+1

If you're doing it for strength and muscle mass*, then you should have a progressive overload in weight.

I don't want to necessarily build up muscle mass, but I would like to tone and shape things up.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    my knee doctor told me that low weight high reps is better for your knees, but i didn't listen and i do high weight low reps because its more fun.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bigd269 wrote: »
    the best would be to do both, one week heavy next week high rep

+1

Not to mention toning is for printers. If you want the fit look, you need muscle.
  • natlierees
    natlierees Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do mine with a 30kg bar and I do 3 sets of 6 reps
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

+1

I don't want to necessarily build up muscle mass, but I would like to tone and shape things up.

I can squat 150lbs, and I am a size 2....just sayin ;)
    Been lifting heavy for 8 months, 5'0" woman. It also gets you in and out of the gym faster than doing, like, 5 sets of 20 reps.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Both. Make one day heavy, the other more volume @ lower weight
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Both have their benefits, but your goals may mean one is better suited to you than another.

Just for clarity... when you say "as many as you can", how many are we talking?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the above. If you want to look more shapely and retain the muscle you have while getting rid of the fat over top, eat at a moderate deficit and start lifting heavier.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The prevailing wisdom on rep ranges is as follows:

1-5: Strength
    6-12: Hypertrophy
    12+ : Muscle endurance

Which to use?
    “The continuum in figure 2.2 ranges in maximal repetitions from 1 to 25, as does the original, but adds the adaptation of muscle hypertrophy. On the lower end of the continuum, strength gains are more pronounced, particularly when using maximal repetitions in the range of 1 to 6, or about 80 to 100 percent of 1RM (O’Shea 1966; Weiss, Coney, and Clark 1999). Enhanced muscle hypertrophy is most notable when training with repetition maximums in the 8 to 12 range, which corresponds to about 70 to 80 percent 1RM (Kraemer, Fleck, and Evans 1996). And muscular endurance benefits occur when repetition maximums of 12 and above, or 70 percent of 1RM and below, are used (Stone and Coulter 1994). New evidence also suggests that these higher rep ranges are also effective for muscle hypertrophy as long as sets are taken to muscle failure (Burd 2010; Burd 2011; Mitchell 2012). These varied muscle adaptations underscore the importance of periodization for producing the most desirable changes in a muscle, whether the person’s goal is increasing muscle endurance or increasing maximal strength. This is because each adaptation is related to the others. “For example, increasing both maximal strength and muscle endurance beneficially affects muscle hypertrophy. So while the person should spend the majority of training time using the repetition range that best fits his or her major goals, the periodic cycling of other intensities will enhance this goal.”

Excerpt From: Jim Stoppani. “Jim Stoppani's Encyclopedia of Muscle & Strength, 2E.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/WboF3.l "

In my training I employ each strategy, since I want both strength and hypertrophy gains. I will squat at lower reps to build strength (5/3/1 currently) and then as an assessory, front squat (or barbell split squat) at lower percentage of my max for higher reps to encourage muscle (4x8 or 5x10) growth. Then I will add a finisher (keeping with quads) like dumbbell goblet squats (or box step-ups or box jumps), and hit the 12+ range for a few sets.

I'm pretty gassed after that.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Which to use?
    “The continuum in figure 2.2 ranges in maximal repetitions from 1 to 25, as does the original, but adds the adaptation of muscle hypertrophy. On the lower end of the continuum, strength gains are more pronounced, particularly when using maximal repetitions in the range of 1 to 6, or about 80 to 100 percent of 1RM (O’Shea 1966; Weiss, Coney, and Clark 1999). Enhanced muscle hypertrophy is most notable when training with repetition maximums in the 8 to 12 range, which corresponds to about 70 to 80 percent 1RM (Kraemer, Fleck, and Evans 1996). And muscular endurance benefits occur when repetition maximums of 12 and above, or 70 percent of 1RM and below, are used (Stone and Coulter 1994). New evidence also suggests that these higher rep ranges are also effective for muscle hypertrophy as long as sets are taken to muscle failure (Burd 2010; Burd 2011; Mitchell 2012). These varied muscle adaptations underscore the importance of periodization for producing the most desirable changes in a muscle, whether the person’s goal is increasing muscle endurance or increasing maximal strength. This is because each adaptation is related to the others. “For example, increasing both maximal strength and muscle endurance beneficially affects muscle hypertrophy. So while the person should spend the majority of training time using the repetition range that best fits his or her major goals, the periodic cycling of other intensities will enhance this goal.”

Excerpt From: Jim Stoppani. “Jim Stoppani's Encyclopedia of Muscle & Strength, 2E.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/WboF3.l "

In my training I employ each strategy, since I want both strength and hypertrophy gains. I will squat at lower reps to build strength (5/3/1 currently) and then as an assessory, front squat (or barbell split squat) at lower percentage of my max for higher reps to encourage muscle (4x8 or 5x10) growth. Then I will add a finisher (keeping with quads) like dumbbell goblet squats (or box step-ups or box jumps), and hit the 12+ range for a few sets.

What he said^^^^
  • SwolexGonzalez
    SwolexGonzalez Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would say unless you're training for a specific event ( bodybuilding/fitness comp or strength show) why not incorporate all sorts of rep ranges? For example, the current routine I am doing with squats involves a 5x5 scheme where I go heavy as I can and trying To increase weight every week. Once I complete my 5 sets, I usually do a burnout set with lighter weight where I try and go for as many reps possible. To each their own, best of luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Which to use?

Hopefully this doesn't derail the thread too much, but does your intake impact any of that? i.e. do you keep the hypertrophy work (volume) while you are cutting, assuming you cut? I've often wondered if there was any meaningful benefit to doing growth volume while eating at cut intake levels.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So I've been wondering what is better when doing squats--doing as many as I can or doing less and adding a heavier weight? I usually to a combination of basic, sumo, lunges, etc. and use 10-15lb. kettle bells.

better for what?

doing less reps with heavier weight is how you build strength

doing more reps with little or no weight is better for muscular endurance and stamina...

goals are kind of important...better is relative.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

+1

Oh no, you just said "tone"
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Which to use?

Hopefully this doesn't derail the thread too much, but does your intake impact any of that? i.e. do you keep the hypertrophy work (volume) while you are cutting, assuming you cut? I've often wondered if there was any meaningful benefit to doing growth volume while eating at cut intake levels.
    I don't think the OP is coming back, so at this point, who cares?

Does my (calorie) intake impact my exercise volume/strength? Heck yes.

Running a program like that at higher 1RM percentages takes a lot out of you -- and you need a robust food ramp to stay in the game.

But it can cut both ways. Lift like that while cutting and you burn-up calories (just lower the percents). Lift like that while bulking and hope for the best possible muscle growth.