What "railroads" you when you are trying to lose weight?

Options
For me, it is a night out with friends or being at a family gathering or just being on the run. It's summer now, and I'm a teacher, so that means I have more control of my life with a lot less stress! So, I'm going to make a concerted effort to really stick to the plan (lose about 15-20 pounds) so that when school does start back, I will feel a lot better and maybe make wiser choices. So how do you STICK to the plan? What do you do when you go off for a day? I tend to just start slacking because I feel like I've backslid so I keep on sliding. I need some motivation to stay on track!! Help! Thanks :)

Replies

• ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the season. Right now we're in the season of grilling and cookouts and, being from Wisconsin, there's always beer brats and cheese involved! That's rough for me. I want to enjoy myself but not as often as I am tempted to in the summertime. Most people gain in the winter but I am the opposite!

When I feel like I've slacked off, I just go harder for a while! I also like to make my goals more public (tell my friends, etc) so that holds me accountable for following through with it. That generally works for me because I've never been a good liar so I have to have results to share!

Being a teacher, do you find your lunch period ends up hindering your weight loss attempts? My parents are teachers and often complain that the 25 minute lunch period causes them to eat like this at home and often overeat. My mom is better about it but my stepdad is constantly looking for ways to avoid this struggle. Any tips?
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If I get sick, forget it. I'll just give up on everything. Luckily (knock on wood) I only get sick once or twice a year. But sometimes I will get so far off track from a week long cold that a month or more will pass and I'll have to start all over again. I feel like in the past though I really milked situations into reasons for quitting. This time around I am really serious so I don't think I'd let it happen again. I think it all depends on where your head is and if your heart is really in it.
  • destined4thinness
    Options
    What railroads me is STRESS..I'm in social work, and I shut down and don't eat....so we can fill in the blanks here. I am ; however, working on getting into different hobbies etc...so when I'm in that moment, I can pull those items from the list I made when I was feeling great...Why lie, you can't think of coping skills/distractions when you are stressed, right? This is starting to work. Also, I have a list of coping strategies or diversions that are FREE...like a hot bath with music and candles you have around the house, or watching a good movie that you haven't watched in awhile...dancing for 20 minutes(enough for feel good endorphins kick in)...just dance like you would when you were a kid....like no one in the world is watching, complete with the brush that we used as our microphone...come on ladies, you :happy: :happy:know you had one...lol
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The sweet voice of potatoe chips calling my name ........ I cannot have them in the house.
    Also if I get off my running schedule I can easily slip into lazy eating.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Shopping while hungry. If I go to the store right after work, I almost always end up coming home with a stupid amount of candy, crackers and chips that seemed so good at the time and seem so bad after I've eaten. But once they're in the house, I'll start to boredom eat them, and I feel bad throwing it all away. I cannot seem to practice portion control on the junk I buy, so I eat until I feel sick. As long as I eat before hitting the grocery store, though, I'm fine. It's amazing what a small decision can lead to.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Stressful days at the office, when I don't have a plan for a healthy lunch. We have a sandwich shop in our building so as an emergency I can get a banana and pretzels or sun chips, but if I'm really hungry I sometimes end up with grilled cheese and think "why did I do that???"....
    Emerald cinnamon almonds have become my new best friend....I'm liking a lighter lunch like fruit and almonds as long as I plan for it!!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    The worst thing that railroads me is lack of sleep. I have noticed i can usually destress with the gym now over eating. But if i dont sleep well and i am tired...i just want junk ALL DAY LONG.

Also sometimes going out to eat railroads me because my husband likes the appetizers. Its hard to see them and not touch them.
  • DonnaW_78
    DonnaW_78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Champagne!!!! I say that while I sip on a glass & type :) Luckily I'm still under my food goal today plus I've burned around 700 calories at the gym this morn :)