Your favorite 'side effect' of your new lifestyle!

Options
Hey all! Since this is the motivation section, I thought it would be nice to collect our favorite benefits from our diet and/or workout routines (aside from the actual weight loss that is). That way, when people are feeling down and out, they can come here and look at all the other awesome stuff that can come from changing and maintaining their new lifestyle :smiley: .

For me, it's definitely the effect all the water drinking has had on my skin! I have extremely dry, even flaky skin, especially on my face. But it's gotten so much better since I became aware of how little water I was drinking. Some days, I can even go outside without putting on my day cream, so it's good for the budget too :blush: .

Replies

• s_y8s
    s_y8s Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Confidence
  • jordanmeoww
    jordanmeoww Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was going to say skin too. It's so much brighter and smoother. :)
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Hair so long looooong! I dont know what part of my diet is helping but my hair is growing like crazy /\O/\
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    More energy. In the past i used to go to the gym in the afternoon, but since I've been going early in the morning I have more energy.
  • MrsJones1722
    MrsJones1722 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All the muscles I can see in my legs now.
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've never actually posted before in any MFP forums, but I was feeling especially down today and saw this post. It reminded me of some of the changes I've worked hard to obtain and of the benefits I have seen thus far, even if they're small. I enjoy that I have enormous amounts of energy since I began drinking the amount of water I should be drinking for my weight. I also notice my nails have gotten stronger and don't peel off in layers anymore. That might be due to daily vitamins though. In any case, thank you for reminding me that it's not just about weight. On doing this for my health and longevity as well. Quality over quantity.
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Totally agree on the benefits of water in my skin. I also Love sleeping better.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    So much more energy and stamina. Better sleep quality. Clothes that fit, are comfortable, and stylish. Better all around health, and at peace now that the weight issue is resolved. Not a slave to food any longer, food is fuel not for overindulging. Food logging and calorie counting so worth the benefits.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    There are many positive side effects but losing most of my joint pain is the most important one.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Better skin (way fewer breakouts) and solid sleep.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i can eat my sweets anytime i want
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My nails are healthier and I haven't been suffering from back pain. Also, I've been able to walk around the naked.
  • Nikeolie
    Nikeolie Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Best side effect would definitely be Able to walk up stairs without being winded. I can't believe I used to take the elevator instead of walking 1 flight of stairs
  • allanthfc
    allanthfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sore abs. Every movement is like "oooooh, YEAH!!"
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Better skin, less pain, no more random bruises, stronger nails, enjoy food more, sleep better, more energy, less cravings, less anxiety over food and eating and hunger, spend less money on food, waste less food, eat better food, don't know if I spend less on clothes (can buy cheaper, but will buy more because I like shopping for clothes now), love to cook, love how my body feels (no more bodyparts unpleasantly bumping into eachother), I feel strong, healthy and more in control.
  • kb3aka
    kb3aka Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dare I say it?...No inner thigh rub!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I was going to say skin too.
    squeeeyk wrote: »
    enormous amounts of energy
    my nails have gotten stronger and don't peel off in layers anymore.
    In any case, thank you for reminding me that it's not just about weight. On doing this for my health and longevity as well. Quality over quantity.
    losing most of my joint pain is the most important one.
    dredremeg wrote: »
    My nails are healthier and I haven't been suffering from back pain. Also, I've been able to walk around the naked.
    Pictures at 6?????
    Nikeolie wrote: »
    Best side effect would definitely be Able to walk up stairs without being winded. I can't believe I used to take the elevator instead of walking 1 flight of stairs

@squeeeyk summed it up the best with her comment that " it's not just about weight. On doing this for my health and longevity as well "

As my Doctor said its about the cumulative long term negative effects of the extra weight on your body, the joints, the organs, especially how the weight sits around your internal organs and the reduces there efficiency.
    I can swim 2 km non-stop, 40km run bike ride and 10km run without trouble.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    No more high cholesterol. Chronic back pain lessened. Confidence. Knowing more about nutrition. Being an example and inspiration for those around me. Wearing "normal" sized clothes. Being stronger and seeing actual muscles. Not having to worry about the weight limits of chairs or the size of the restaurant booth. Being in photos with my family. Helping my children learn about living a healthy lifestyle.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Sitting still for a long time has become difficult. I get very antsy on long car rides and need to get out and walk at any stop.
  • anneeett
    anneeett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    squeeeyk wrote: »
    I've never actually posted before in any MFP forums, but I was feeling especially down today and saw this post. It reminded me of some of the changes I've worked hard to obtain and of the benefits I have seen thus far, even if they're small. I enjoy that I have enormous amounts of energy since I began drinking the amount of water I should be drinking for my weight. I also notice my nails have gotten stronger and don't peel off in layers anymore. That might be due to daily vitamins though. In any case, thank you for reminding me that it's not just about weight. On doing this for my health and longevity as well. Quality over quantity.

I'm so happy you found this thread useful! Even if the scale doesnt say what we were hoping for, we should keep all these other victories in mind! :)
    Better skin, less pain, no more random bruises, stronger nails, enjoy food more, sleep better, more energy, less cravings, less anxiety over food and eating and hunger, spend less money on food, waste less food, eat better food, don't know if I spend less on clothes (can buy cheaper, but will buy more because I like shopping for clothes now), love to cook, love how my body feels (no more bodyparts unpleasantly bumping into eachother), I feel strong, healthy and more in control.

Omg I used to have random bruises as well! I totally forgot about those!

Loving all these replies <3 I never wouldve guessed there were so many different benefits, both mentally and physically, from changing our lifestyle :smiley: