Can you calorie overload?

Options
2»

Replies

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    No, you can not absorb every kcal that high in 1 sitting. I have personally been eating 1 meal a day for roughly 5 years & I will have kcal refeed days in the 5,000+kcal range. I have had days were I would eat an entire jar of coconut butter (3,000+kcals) and actually weigh the same or even sometimes less the next day. Malabsorption plays a part as well as hormones (in addition to water...related to hormones AVP/ADH). It's best just not to think about it in terms of physics/law of conservation of energy...I am sure body temperature changes in addition to respiration (exhaling CO2, inhaling O2) as well but I have never been anal enough to measure frequently enough after said refeeds.

6hjsx26pfq7v.jpg
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I've thought this too.

Like say you were going to over eat, could you go all out and eat 10k calories and only have your body able to process 6k or something,

Like a tipping point that once you reach it the calories are free.

But what goes in must come out. Unless it comes out in the same form that it went in (undigested), then it has been processed in the normal way.

Never said I put a lot of thought into it :smiley:

This was a thought from ages ago.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    TNoire wrote: »
    Remember this

It takes 3500 BURNED cals to lose 1lb of fat
    therefore it takes 3500 calories to gain 1lb of fat

food for thought @danieltsmoke

Also if you lose to fast you gain back just as fast (learned that from experience)

slow and steady wins the race :)

so the rule/science Calories in versus calories out dont count for people who lose fast??? Is that what your saying?

You gain when you eat to much calories ( more than you burn)
    Has nothing to do with how fast you lose it.

Now indeed i agree when you dont learn moderation, portion control because you lose fast, that can be a cause that you gain weight again....
    But when you lose fast and dont eat more calories than you burn when you are in maintenance..you will NOT gain it back.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If you're truly worried about getting every last calorie processed, there is a solution. You just need a good friend behind you to help you out.

l2pzt5vyewa2.jpg
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    If you're truly worried about getting every last calorie processed, there is a solution. You just need a good friend behind you to help you out.

l2pzt5vyewa2.jpg

LMFAO!!! I live!!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    0.0 I dunno, but man the thought of eating that much at once *shudder* I know myself well enough to know I'd be sick. I can't even finish a double quarter pounder with cheese these days unless I skip breakfast and lunch. Even in that scenario it would make me feel sick.

For the record I used to be able to eat 2 plus fries in one sitting. :disappointed:

I used to eat one meal a day but that isn't good, your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto everything it can to get what nutrients it needs = weight gain in the long run, i learned that the hard way myself ._.

This is inaccurate information. Starvation mode is a myth to the normal dieter, and it does not cause your body to hold onto fat. You gain weight from eating a surplus of calories.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Sure seems like a lot of thought on how to game the system over thinking about how to make it work. Really wondering if the 8,000th through 10,000 calorie will actually be enjoyable or just registered as stomach pain, and I say that as someone who has one a few amateur eating competitions.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    No, you can not absorb every kcal that high in 1 sitting. I have personally been eating 1 meal a day for roughly 5 years & I will have kcal refeed days in the 5,000+kcal range. I have had days were I would eat an entire jar of coconut butter (3,000+kcals) and actually weigh the same or even sometimes less the next day. Malabsorption plays a part as well as hormones (in addition to water...related to hormones AVP/ADH). It's best just not to think about it in terms of physics/law of conservation of energy...I am sure body temperature changes in addition to respiration (exhaling CO2, inhaling O2) as well but I have never been anal enough to measure frequently enough after said refeeds.

If you feel that you aren't actually absorbing the calories, why even bother with a "refeed" day? Wouldn't that just be a waste of money?
  • auddii
    Options
    Your body will take the time it needs to process the food. Unless you throw it up, it will come out as poop, thus meaning it has been processed.

To be fair, usually after a really huge binge, and not that long after, I end up with diarrhea, which involves far less processing because everything is moving so quickly through the system. I have a feeling it's the body's defense against you being an idiot and shoveling ALL THE FOODZ in.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Remember this

It takes 3500 BURNED cals to lose 1lb of fat
    therefore it takes 3500 calories to gain 1lb of fat

food for thought @danieltsmoke

Also if you lose to fast you gain back just as fast (learned that from experience)

slow and steady wins the race :)

No, if you lose fast and then go back to eating as you did before you will gain back yes, but the rate is still dictated by your energy balance and nothing else. Yes, there is some small downgrade in base metabolism (adaptive thermogenesis) but that happens no matter the rate you lose at. I lost 45lbs in just over 4 months and have had no issue keeping it off for nearly a year now. That's because I've committed to a life style change rather than a weight loss diet.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Your body will take the time it needs to process the food. Unless you throw it up, it will come out as poop, thus meaning it has been processed.

To be fair, usually after a really huge binge, and not that long after, I end up with diarrhea, which involves far less processing because everything is moving so quickly through the system. I have a feeling it's the body's defense against you being an idiot and shoveling ALL THE FOODZ in.
    Diarrhea indicates water processing has not happened, which is probably oddly the longest part of digesting things. The real indicator for the calories themselves being taken up is the existance of actual stuff that looks like food, other than the usual digestion survivors like corn. Admittedly, I wouldn't blame anyone for not really looking into check what's going on with any of that though.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Diarrhea indicates water processing has not happened, which is probably oddly the longest part of digesting things. The real indicator for the calories themselves being taken up is the existance of actual stuff that looks like food, other than the usual digestion survivors like corn. Admittedly, I wouldn't blame anyone for not really looking into check what's going on with any of that though.

I'm gong to assume that experience of eating contests verifies this and will let it go at that...
  • auddii
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Oh I know, I just wasn't going there... :wink:
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

LMAO! So much this. I have a feeling that will happen to me soon:(.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If I eat a 10,000 calorie meal, is my body actually going to absorb all those calories?? Seems like it couldn't process even half of them at one time.
    Sounds like science needs to be done here.

Who volunteers to take me out to dinner to test this?

Remember, humanity is at steak.
  • auddii
    Options
    If I eat a 10,000 calorie meal, is my body actually going to absorb all those calories?? Seems like it couldn't process even half of them at one time.

Nice. But, I don't think I can afford that dinner bill... Although if I take you to cheesecake factory, I think that's only 3 entrees and two pieces of cheesecake.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options

Nice. But, I don't think I can afford that dinner bill... Although if I take you to cheesecake factory, I think that's only 3 entrees and two pieces of cheesecake.
    Great! Its a "date" then! Just let me get my stretchy pants.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It's amazing the things you can find on the interwebs: Ryan Lochte's 10000 cal meal. Doesn't look that daunting, except for that casserole thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2710814/What-does-10-000-calories-look-like-Former-fast-food-addict-Ryan-Lochte-shares-picture-Olympic-swimmers-diet.html