Ketosis diet!!

Options

Replies

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I've always wondered what happens AFTER a keto diet? Is it a permanent (forever and ever) lifestyle, or do you go back to a "traditional" diet? Can you stay in ketosis for extended periods of time? I see a lot of people talk about the diet, itself, but have never seen the "what next."

Many stay with these diets for years.. some introduce some carbs back into their diets.

And some don't stick with it at all and go back to their old way of eating. And some transition into a diet of everything in moderation. Considering the failure rate for weight loss in general, it's probably not the case that 'many' stay with these diets for years, but rather 'some'.
    OP, I'm glad you found something that seems to work for you. Good luck in the future.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Reinventing--it depends upon what your carbohydrate sensitivity is. For those of us that are insulin resistant, we will have to be at a lower carb count to maintain our health and weightloss. It is highly individual. For example, Tim Noakes (marathoner and scientist) has to keep his carb level less than 20 gram/day or his blood sugars rise. Others may be able to tolerate 150 grams carb/day. It is highly individual.
  • pedidiva
    Options
    Reinventing, you may want to check out the hormonal theory of obesity.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Keto has some long term side effects especially for women. So you need to be careful of doing it for longer periods of time. For sure you can keep your carbs to just above ketosis state without any side effect, 100-150 grams.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I know little of keto diet specifically, but am always interested in learning things. Many here are very pleased with their decision, so I figure this is a good place to ask a question I have been curious about. I assume in a true keto diet one cannot meet suggested fiber intake. For those who go keto, does this not concern you, and if not why?

Fibre seems to be an issue for helping carbs move through your system in a timely manner. Eating low carbs with higher fats seems to keep things moving very well, especially if you include coconut oil (medium chain fatty acids) which can get things moving almost too well.

I've done a bit of reading on this but nothing I've saved or bookmarked, so I have nothing to share beyond personal experience. I have had no problems without eating fibre (and I'm very low on fibre - usually well below 15g), and to be honest, things seem to be moving a bit faster and easier now that I eat very LCHF. And, ahem, the amount of waste seems to be reduced too.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I know little of keto diet specifically, but am always interested in learning things. Many here are very pleased with their decision, so I figure this is a good place to ask a question I have been curious about. I assume in a true keto diet one cannot meet suggested fiber intake. For those who go keto, does this not concern you, and if not why?

This has often been my question too, especially for zero carb success stories. The answers I have gotten have been "fiber isn't necessary" and so I started doing some research, which is when I learned that there is soluble fiber and dietary fiber and now I'm even more confused than I was before. If soluble fiber exists but isn't counted on our nutrition labels how do we know how much fiber we are really getting and does that mean we need less dietary fiber than "they" say? So, Mantium, my question remains the same as yours.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    Keto has some long term side effects especially for women. So you need to be careful of doing it for longer periods of time. For sure you can keep your carbs to just above ketosis state without any side effect, 100-150 grams.

Ok, I personally have no interest in a keto diet, but this is the first claim I've ever seen for it being harmful to women. Can you provide some information and links?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I've never heard this either and I've read a few books and multiple articles on it... and been in ketosis for a couple of months with only apparent health benefits. If you have some info, please share it because I'm curious.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I've always wondered what happens AFTER a keto diet? Is it a permanent (forever and ever) lifestyle, or do you go back to a "traditional" diet? Can you stay in ketosis for extended periods of time? I see a lot of people talk about the diet, itself, but have never seen the "what next."

Many stay with these diets for years.. some introduce some carbs back into their diets.

And some don't stick with it at all and go back to their old way of eating. And some transition into a diet of everything in moderation. Considering the failure rate for weight loss in general, it's probably not the case that 'many' stay with these diets for years, but rather 'some'.
    OP, I'm glad you found something that seems to work for you. Good luck in the future.

Sorry, I wasn't clear... my "many" was in reference to those that who are successful... instead of the global population.

Overall, every type of diet has huge failure rates

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Keto is not for everyone I am sure.

Actually I was doing it before I knew what it was. I had read about coconut oil usage and getting off sugar and grain to cut down arthritic pain and just happened to do both at the same time and it worked. I was already in Ketosis before I found MFP forms with good keto info. That is when the info started to gel for me.

I do not do Zero Carbs because I still do stuff with fiber like almonds, coconut flakes, etc. After 10 months in nutritional ketosis I plan this for the rest of my life because my goal is to be walking and talking on my 110th birthday and have been inviting people already. :)
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

@bpotts44 Please cite your source for saying that there are "long term side effects especially for women"?

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    No matter what type of diet plan you are on, if you go back to your old eating habits that caused the weight issues to begin with, you will gain again. Finger pointing exclusively at low-carb is stupid.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Finger pointing exclusively at low-carb is stupid.

and your childish.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Long term ketosis can have negative effects on thyroid function and cause down regulation of metabolism. Ketosis is a starvation adaption your body has for burning fat in the absence of carbohydrates. Long term for some, but especially for women it can result in negative hormonal effects. This is well documented, but I'm not in a position to produce documents at this time. I will try to follow up later.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tyoung8 wrote: »
    and your childish.

how so?

...but yet, I'm not the one name calling
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    No matter what type of diet plan you are on, if you go back to your old eating habits that caused the weight issues to begin with, you will gain again. Finger pointing exclusively at low-carb is stupid.
    tyoung8 wrote: »
    Finger pointing exclusively at low-carb is stupid.

and your childish.
    [/quote]

Not sure why he is childish but...what he said is very true. You can lose weight on any diet that creates a deficit. If any of us resumes our old eating habits...we will regain the weight...regardless of what diet we follow.

• pedidiva
    Options
    BPotts, please elaborate on the side effects of keto, especially for women. I am not aware of any side effects. the body will make its own carbohydrates (glucose) from fats and proteins. It is called gluconeogenesis. In the liver.