Question on Protein

Options
I am wondering, is it possible to consume too much protein in one day? If so, what are the side effects?

Replies

• lTlasha
    lTlasha Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Protein is good to help your muscles after you work out. I was told by others of the MFP site, and it is what I go by now is that I would rather go over my protein and fiber during the day than my fat or carbs. I take a protein shake daily after my workout whether I need it or not in my food journal.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    How much were you thinking of eating?

For the most part, a lot of protein in one day isn't going to put you in any danger as long as your kidneys are healthy.
  • KLCole
    KLCole Posts: 22
    Options
    I asked that very same question to a nutritionist other other day. She said that normally any extra protein and fiber that you eat will just pass through the body if it is not needed. If you are eating a great amount of protein and it is causing some abnormal effects, then you might want to talk to your doctor about it. Good luck!
  • hrhneenerita
    Options
    I was told that you should not consume more than 40 grams at one time and that if you are consuming a lot you need to really get lots of water in to flush your kidneys. I was told that at least 80 ozs a day, Also i was told that i needed 80 grams a day of protein, to keep from losing muscle mass after WLS RNY, also it was to be whey isolate protein as this was the most digestible and absorbent so hope this shreds some light on your situation
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    ok I like it..but who TOLD you this?
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I eat around 110-140 grams a day, but I workout hard and drink tons of water! I have my settings at 40% protein, 30% carb 30% fat. We are all different so play around with it and see what works for you!