Wanted: Filling foods!

Options
MissSusieQ
MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hello all!

I write to you from my couch, from which I am staring longingly into my kitchen. I am having one of those terrible bottomless pit days on which I could eat the crotch from a low-lying duck.

I have eaten plenty today, and good foods - salad, cheese, yoghurt, fruit, oats, and I've had heaps of water too... but I was so hungry by the time I got home from work that I considered eating my dinner cold instead of waiting the two minutes for it to reheat, and I was so shaky I struggled to use my cutlery!

I would love some suggestions of not-terrible-for-me foods that might fill me up. ideas?

Replies

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have days like that too sometimes, they are horrible - sorry!

I am not a low carber, but I do find that eating more protein and fat helps me to feel more full. I have carbs (including fruit) because they are yummy and I want them, but when I push to fit in more protein I suffer less hunger pains. I find myself in a habit lately of having a dinner which is just protein and veg and it makes me feel much better. I try when I can to leave a few calories over for a frozen yogurt or something afterwards.

I don't know if you like warm vegetables, but another fill up food for me is steamed pumpkin or butternut. They are delicious, low calorie for the bulk you get and very satisfying. I like mine with cinnamon and if I feel indulgent, a little bit of something to sweeten it.
  • allanthfc
    allanthfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hate these moments. I worried I was diabetic or something when I get shaky.

What cheese do you use? I've found the brand we get is rhat high in cals it's not worth having when you think of the filling / calorie ratio.

I found that having two sandwiches at dinner, either ham or chicken slice is filling enough and doesn't use up as many as a cheese one or peanut butter.

Have you tried loading yiur plate with more veg to get more food in with less cals. I mean like double the usual. Celery is filling and depending on your dip or topping doesn't hammer your allowance.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    all great suggestions! I eat light and tasty cheese, and on a normal day a slice of that, a couple of cruskits and a handful of cherry tomatoes make a satisfying snack. just not today!

I don't eat meat, and I already ate what I would consider my daily quota of bread, so the sandwich idea is out for me. I had leftover pad thai for my dinner tonight and I added an extra 150g of broccoli and more bean sprouts too!

@soopatt, I'm no low carb-er either, but I'd really prefer to fill up on non-starchies too. unfortunately i make things harder on myself by being vegetarian! I do love me some pumpkin though..
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yikes! That is hard.
    I manage with lots & lots of cooked and raw veggies: yellow squash, broccoli, cucumbers, romaine, bell peppers, acorn squash, and green beans. Also fats and oils like full fat salad dressing and coconut oil and such. My go to easy food is drained canned chic peas with a tablespoon of hemp seeds or a whole sliced cucumber and a drizzle of walnut oil.
  • TacticalSumo
    TacticalSumo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How about when you have had your allowance of bread for the day wrapping that ham or turkey in a lettuce wrap? Its what I do and it does not make you go over your bread quota
  • brimin101
    brimin101 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just eat an avocado and you'll be set or Coconut oil, olive oil and other types of oils with salad or nuts can be added for some fat, which will satiate you. Also a protein source, whatever it may be try to get about 15-25g per meal depending on weight and daily goal.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Some days I am just a bottomless pit. I try to not go overboard. I find that if I eat tuna, hard boiled eggs or a protein drink, I feel fuller. My biggest problem is not having a plan. If I stand at the cupboard or refrig and look around for something, it's over. Those darn nutty bars call my name. Also, filling my plate with veggies helps. I don't do raw so its easy to throw a bag of frozen in the microwave. For me, frozen is the way to go because I don't have any prep work and I can stock up so I don't run out.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    OP, since you don't eat meat... What do your protein totals look like? You listed off a few things you ate, and I didn't see much possibility that your meals have a lot, but you could have been leaving some out.

Protein is the magic filler-upper for me. Greek yogurt with a half serving of protein granola (I got it at Aldi) is about 20 g of protein and just over 200 calories. Hard-boiled eggs and nuts are great.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    A huge (and I mean huge) bowl of roasted or steamed veggies with lots of spices and a tablespoon of olive oil and balsamic with an added protein like chicken, fish, beef or in your case your favorite beans does the trick for my hungry days and not so hungry days!
    I also add beans to my other proteins for more satisfaction.
    Also, apples with peanut butter really fill me up along with a large cup of tea.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I was reading an MFP discussion and someone used the word "satiety." I'd seen sate and sated in crosswords but had never seen that form of it. I thought, very clever of that guy to have coined a new word. Turns out there is a formal Satiety Index of Common Foods from the EU.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If it's from PMS, in my experience, the only things that will satisfy me is carbs... I could eat two bags of veggies and be bloated but STILL hungry.

Otherwise, on non PMS days.. veggies. A salad with just lettuce, cheese, a bit of mustard and vinegar goes a long way for me too for 100 calories. Egg drop soup (broth with one egg) is nice too for 100 calories.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    steamed broccoli with parmesan cheese...yummy!
  • slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like to make brown rice bowls with lentils, chicken, lots of veggies, avocado and use greek yogurt as my sourcream. You get a complete meal with lots of protein, healthy fat, complex carbs and lots of fiber.
    That always leaves me full longer.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    steamed broccoli with parmesan cheese...yummy!

Seconded.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies! The more fiber, the more filling they are. Plus, you get nutrients you need in the deal. Low-cal, too!

Raspberries are my single favorite high-fiber food. Edamame tastes good, is packed with nutrients, has a good amount of protein, and is VERY filling.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    Try beans. lentils, and tofu. make extra and store them in the freezer so you can pull them out and pop them in the micro. they have a good amount of protein and fiber
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like things that are meat and vegetable (heavy on the vegetable) like all kinds of chili with chopped vegetables added in, stir fry, vegetable noodles, vegetable rice/grit/quinoa, large egg scrambles with vegetables, pureed vegetable soups, stew with a lot of vegetables, etc.